Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times

Advertisements

I don't see any threads specifically on this subject, though there may be some mentions here and there.

While I was living in Philadelphia, a previously existing grass mold allergy became severe and intractable. I visited Albuquerque in 2007 and relocated to that city in 2008. I have escaped some specific mold allergy symptoms, but of course, as expected, I still have allergy issues.

However, there is an additional problem. Before I moved to New Mexico, I had long experienced sensitivity to changes in barometric pressure, but mostly just in relation to storm systems, and generally not to any severe degree. Now, belatedly, I have discovered that living at a higher altitude means reactions to barometric pressure fulctuations can be magnified.

I feel a significant drop--often an outright crash--in energy just about every single day, seemingly as a result of normal daily drops in barometric pressure. The drop in energy is generally accompanied by very uncomfortable and distracting sinus pressure. These daily drops in barometric pressure were either not an issue in Philadelphia, or were nothing a very small amount of caffeine couldn't fix. (I still don't remember afternoon tiredness being a daily issue, but I do remember that sometimes I would need a little green tea and a snack to get on track again.)

So I would like to visit Phoenix at some point and see if being at a lower elevation elimintes these barometric pressure related crashes.

I am wondering if others who have experienced sensitivity (sinus related or not) to daily barometric pressure fluctuations have found that moving to Phoenix or other low elevation areas of Arizona has been helpful.

I realize that if I relocate again I will risk some other problem (heat sensitivity? trouble with Phoenix air quality? Valley fever?) but the move to Albuquerque hasn't given me back my life as I had hoped, so it might be worth risking relocation again. Though it's possible that I'd try more alternative treatments before going that route. I should have a little more money for one or the other, in a couple years. I would definitely not move to Phoenix without a job lined up. I did that when I moved to Albuquerque because I was so desperate not to spend another year dealing with the mold issue in Philadelphia; and I was lucky enough to eventually find a job here. But I would not do that again.

(Note: since people generally take threads like this in broader directions, with recommendations of various sorts: (1) I am being treated by an allergist. (2) I irrigate my sinuses at least twice a day. (3) I have been to an ENT within the last year who said there was no cause for surgery. (4) I recently went to an acupuncturist and it kinda-sorta worked for part of that time, in that way acupuncture has of kinda-sorta working, but it was not consistent, and ultimately I ran out of money for treatments more quickly than I'd expected, due to other unplanned expenses. (5) I eliminated dairy from my diet long ago. (6) I have done an elimination diet on my own for a period of time that my acupuncturist retroactively said should have been more than enough for such a test. (7) I was more or less vegan for about five months, but saw no significant change.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 05:52 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
we are in a suburb 40 miles SE of Phoenix and experience the exact same symptoms and problems you describe. The past 4 days have been really bad, but with the clouds and pressure change today we are both much better, but a roller coaster.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM

107 posts, read 201,724 times
If you really are sensitive to barometric pressure changes then Phoenix is where you want to be. The weather is the same day after day , unlike northern climates where there are 4 seasons and sometime two or three seasons in a day. Stability is the key.

Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM

107 posts, read 201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
we are in a suburb 40 miles SE of Phoenix and experience the exact same symptoms and problems you describe. The past 4 days have been really bad, but with the clouds and pressure change today we are both much better, but a roller coaster.
??? really? There must be other issues that are bothering you.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Thanks mikejjones1234 and BestintheWest.

I know this question is kind of obscure, but there is actually quite a bit of discussion here and there online about where to move for the least trouble with barometric pressure fluctuation. Parts of Hawaii and San Diego seem to be considered the best locations for this issue, but I need to stick to arid or at least semi-arid areas, since I don't want to have to deal with outdoor mold allergy issues again. Phoenix is generally the next in line in a list of the best (U.S.) cities for individuals with barometric pressure sensitivity.

I'm just glad I didn't end up moving to Santa Fe or Taos. I interviewed for a job in Taos, but the salary was completely laughable considering the COL there. (My performance in the interview was pretty laughable too, so it's not as if I was offered the position. But by the time I was on my way home I had already decided I wouldn't accept an offer.) I feel the difference in elevation when I visit either of those towns. I'd actually prefer Santa Fe's climate to Albuquerque's, so moving to Phoenix would mean moving in the opposite direction of what I'd prefer temperature-wise.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 AM

639 posts, read 971,725 times
Each person reacts differently. I continue to experience headaches with the barometric changes. There is some (slight) improvement but my first 6 months were actually worse.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,651 times
I moved to Albuquerque from sea level San Francisco in 1974 and have suffered with this too almost everyday. My symptoms are a bit different pressure in the back of head enough to make me squint while the storms develop (barometric changes). Worse during winter. As soon as I get back down from 5000' ft to a couple hundred feet, I feel great again. Just retiring and my wife and I soon will leave for Az or Nevada.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:43 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,786 times
I can feel the change. The only benefit here is that it doesn't happen as often. It has to be a pretty drastic change to affect me.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Sorry but I never heard about this before.

Aren't you all just talking about changes in humidity?? That can affect sinuses alot.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:10 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,778,722 times
Barometric pressure changes can wreak havoc for those of us with rheumatological issues. Crashing fatigue and joint pain let me know every time the barometer drops. Humidity is another separate issue. I've been advised by several doctors to move to an area with fewer barometric pressure changes. Honolulu, Hawaii, San Diego, and Eureka, CA have all made the short list. Eureka, however, does have mold issues as it is on the very damp North Coast. My aunt, who had severe rheumatoid arthritis and had lived in San Diego all her life, moved to Eureka and was much improved. She didn't have the mold issues so it worked for her. Arizona has also been recommended to me but I'm not so sure it would work due to the allergens (another major problem for me) and monsoon season's barometric pressure variations. The research continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area