Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,827 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving my family to AZ- need some advise too. We are a married couple in our 40's with a 12 yr old and a college student. Looking for a safe family oriented community with great schools. We are hoping for somewhere with a little more green scenery. We currently live in the #1 city in Colorado, beautiful place but way too expensive. The majority of our income goes on rent, not a lot of rentals either. Where should we start looking? Tucson, Phoenix, Tempe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
You want MORE green scenery than in Colorado, and you are asking about Tucson, Phoenix, and Tempe? NONE of them will offer that, except green trees and grass in older neighborhoods in Phoenix and Tempe.Those are all desert cities. No significant "greenery" in Tucson. There are lots of nice areas in all three places (I know Phoenix and Tempe better), and they are great places to live, and there are some good school districts. But those cities are not anywhere near top of the list when it comes to green scenery.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:30 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,763 times
Arcadia in Phoenix, Verrado in Buckeye, Agritopia in Gilbert, and Gainey/McCormick Ranch in Scottsdale are very green. They aren't cheap areas to live in though. If you want that in the desert you will have to pay a premium! Though they have good schools, as most of the more expensive areas do.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,827 times
Thanks so much for the info. I don't expect to get any greenery like we have here in Colorado, only hoping to be in an area that has some areas with a little grass and a few more trees. I just found out that my son's only college choice will be AU so I guess the Tucson area is where we will need to look. Does anyone have any info on an area with good schools and low crime rates close to Tucson?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Go east Valley Gilbert, Chandler very nice areas a plus is if you drive west for a day job the sun is on your back not your face every day the Valley mostly flat so nothing to block the sun in the mornings and afternoons it's mostly clear sky so very high UV index. If you like Colorado I would also look in the Prescott area cooler and lot more green.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM

You should probably post your question in the Tucson forum, as the people posting there are more familiiar with that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaGee View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I don't expect to get any greenery like we have here in Colorado, only hoping to be in an area that has some areas with a little grass and a few more trees. I just found out that my son's only college choice will be AU so I guess the Tucson area is where we will need to look. Does anyone have any info on an area with good schools and low crime rates close to Tucson?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM

121 posts, read 228,994 times
Try to visit both places. One more stats that you can look for is the elevation of the location. I guess more the elevation better relief from severe warm weather. Since you have a 12 year old kid, i would suggest Chandler would be ideal as it has good schools. Both Tucson also has great schools. Weather might be relatively mild when compared to phoenix and its suburbs. I would personally prefer Tucson rather phoenix unless i have my job here in valley. Both are not than greener. If you want more green then u have to stay north.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by place View Post
Try to visit both places. One more stats that you can look for is the elevation of the location. I guess more the elevation better relief from severe warm weather. Since you have a 12 year old kid, i would suggest Chandler would be ideal as it has good schools. Both Tucson also has great schools. Weather might be relatively mild when compared to phoenix and its suburbs. I would personally prefer Tucson rather phoenix unless i have my job here in valley. Both are not than greener. If you want more green then u have to stay north.
The OP just said her son's only college option is UA, so she needs to be looking at Tucson area only.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,876 times
I just move here all the way from MN hoping to escape the crucial winter but boy the hot weather is too much not much green view to look at. It's sad how hot it is here during the summer that kids can't enjoy outdoor.. Thingking of moving out in few years maybe..

Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTheresa28 View Post
I just move here all the way from MN hoping to escape the crucial winter but boy the hot weather is too much not much green view to look at. It's sad how hot it is here during the summer that kids can't enjoy outdoor.. Thingking of moving out in few years maybe..
Of course they can enjoy the outdoors. We have a basketball court/park in our community and it was full of kids just yesterday. The key is lots of water. The heat doesn't stop my 12 year old son from going outside to ride his bike or rollerblade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area