U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 PM

919 posts, read 2,161,217 times

Advertisements

There should be no problems. After all, Phoenix has the best trained, highly tested, most attentive, best behaved, law abiding, substance and distraction free drivers in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,525,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
With single lines running everywhere, all it's going to take is one accident and the whole system will be shut down. I'm all for this light rail thing, but running it on the ground is going to be a disaster. Just the stretch that's built now runs thru 40+ intersections. Talk about crazy.
Have you ever been to San Diego? If so, you would see much the same thing and it runs very smoothly

Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM

10,506 posts, read 13,998,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I heard about this on the radio. I guess I'm the only one who found it amusing that they had to teach people how to drive and walk with the light rail.

Remember everyone: If you see a train coming toward you, do NOT walk or drive across the tracks!!!!!
I know that it is amazing to think that people wouldn't stop for a train, but in the Los Angeles area where they started using light rail commuter trains several years ago, there have been a fair share of accidents. I just don't understand how people don't realize that a train can not stop on a dime but that is in LA, so I guess we have to consider the source. There have also been a few people that used it to end there own life on purpose. Had one guy that drove his car in the path of the train, changed his mind and got out of the car, and ended up derailing the train injuring people that had been on the train.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 14,269 times
I used to live in Chicago home of Amtrak; these are large fast moving trains. People misjudge their speed and cross in front of them all the time; sometimes this results in horrible accidents. Despite all the warnings some people get in a rush and take a chance.

I worry about having a slow moving train running at ground level with traffic. I am guessing since this train moves so slow people might be tempted to dart in front of them more often since we are such a patient city.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country and Maricopa County is the fastest growing in the country. You would think we would already have some kind of valley wide rail system. If this works hopefully it will take off and be utilized and be safe.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,971,032 times
Keep in mind, just 20 years ago, the Valley did not have a freeway system.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,525,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Keep in mind, just 20 years ago, the Valley did not have a freeway system.
Heck, remember when the whole freeway system was put in jeapordy because of 3 votes on the issue?

And THEN, they uncovered an old Indian ruin site????

Those were fun days though

Old 12-05-2007, 05:17 PM

87 posts, read 214,840 times
I remember when you had to get off I-10 and drive down Buckeye for a few miles to get back on I-10... Phoenix was the last place to complete the coast to coast highway...

Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 AM

919 posts, read 2,161,217 times
I still don't understand the apppeal.

I've kept an open mind. I love taking the trains in europe and the subway in NYC. I love the river taxi service in Bangkok, which is the best way to get around.

Phoenix is a grid designed city. You can;t serve 700+ square miles with one solution. Meanwhile, we already have a system designed around the grid. Are buses so packed thay we need a new system? Or is the bus system so lame that we could spend a tiny percentage of the new budet to make it better?

Old 12-06-2007, 01:51 AM

687 posts, read 1,224,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I still don't understand the apppeal.

I've kept an open mind. I love taking the trains in europe and the subway in NYC. I love the river taxi service in Bangkok, which is the best way to get around.

Phoenix is a grid designed city. You can;t serve 700+ square miles with one solution. Meanwhile, we already have a system designed around the grid. Are buses so packed thay we need a new system? Or is the bus system so lame that we could spend a tiny percentage of the new budet to make it better?
Your question leads to the answer. With as much space to cover as exists in our metro area, a multi-faceted transit solution is necessary. Pumping money into the failing bus system is not enough because trains carry more passengers at a lower cost per trip while, in a best-case scenario, reducing automobile congestion. Pumping money only into the rail is also a bad idea because, clearly, you just can't provide as much flexibility as a city bus in terms of routing options. You need both.

The light rail has never been presented as a single solution. Buses are as critical as they have ever been.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 AM

1,553 posts, read 4,149,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post

The light rail has never been presented as a single solution. Buses are as critical as they have ever been.
Agreed. It's important to remember that the Transit 2000 election, which authorized and funded the 20-mile light rail starter line, also contained provisions for greatly expanded bus service. Much of that expansion has already occurred over the last five years or so with Sunday service offered for the first time in decades, evening hours extended, frequencies enhanced on key routes, and several brand new routes added. Bus service improvements will continue and many bus routes are being realigned to connect with light rail service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area