Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. I realize that this is general information question and very location specific. What about streets? Common areas and landscaping - is that included? Are townhouse/condo HOA's usually responsible for the exterior?

Maybe I should have entitled this thread - Phoenix HOA'sfor Dummy.
I live in a condo and the Association takes care of all common areas and the roof. We are responsible for anything inside the unit, the interior portion of our balconies and patios, and our HVAC system. Our $150 a month includes water/sewer/trash, landscaping, upkeep of two pools and a spa, and common area insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,212 times
Mine is probably the highest I've seen. $320 quarterly. It's a small gated neighborhood with one park and all common areas including front yards are maintained by a professional landscape company. Typically the larger the community is the less you should be paying since it will have more sources of revenue. I'm on the board and I've been trying to put the HOA money to good use. We recently added $20k worth of landscape improvements (trees, shrubs, granite) and a brand new park fence.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Having front yard maintenance is huge. We certainly don't get that for the peanuts we pay. It would be nice though.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
$99 per quarter. Two community centers, two pools, a few parks, tennis courts, trails, etc.
Wow! What about landscaping? Outside maintenance? Streets.

My curiosity is peaked about the HOA bang for the buck around here

Old 02-28-2014, 03:40 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:

lol, me too !

some of these hoa's are awful cheap!

The house we rented in N Scottsdale had an hoa fee of $88/mo that included street maintenance, a small drainage ditch/"park" , and lots of grumpy letters about the color of your cable tv wire, parking overnight on the street (6 guest parking spots for ~50 homes!), or leaving your recycle bin where someone could see it.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:

All common areas (trails, common-facing walls, facilities, streets) are maintained by the HOA. No yards or any of the houses' property is touched by them (other than a nagging letter from time to time).

Old 02-28-2014, 04:27 PM

228 posts, read 343,933 times
Ours is $200 a month. It's s small gated community, so not many houses to pay in. No pool, but a couple of play equipment parks. And it's very lush and green, with citrus all over the place and winter grass in all the common areas. These things push up the cost. I recently joined the board, and it's fascinating seeing where the money goes.

The other thing to consider is the reserves. We recently had a price hike for the first time in a few years, because the reserve study has indicated and priced in some hefty expenses in the next decade or two - resurfacing the roads, replacing the play equipment, upgrading the gates, etc. These things will all now be comfortably funded by regular dues, and not require any Special Assessments to be levied, which is the more fiscally responsible way to run things. Special Assessments for things that anyone can see coming are unfair to the current batch of householders, who may find themselves paying for 20 years of improvements they weren't there for, or won't be there for in the future.

As for data, most of the real estate sites have the monthly dues of any HOA-governed house up for sale.

I mentally lump together property taxes, school donations, and HOA fees in a pot called 'the cost of living in a really nice area', and don't fret about the individual elements too much.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I pay $62.50 a month in Ocotillo, one of the cheap neighborhoods here. We have no yard maintenance. In addition, we must have grass in front, all year. We have lakes for paddle boats, catch and release fish, no pool, alot of walking paths, and a real plus: reclaimed water for landscaping. We also get a discount on Ocotillo golf course (which I have never used) and tennis courts that I don't use either. This all seems like a bargain to me when I look at other HOAs. Also, planned garage sales, Christmas party, and a classy magazine 4 times a year. I wish we had clubs and events but I know I would be paying alot more.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:54 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Ours (Estrella) is about $85 per month. We have 80 acres of lakes, miles of trails (mostly desert), a small water park, fitness center, lots of grass and parks with picnic facilities, daily activities including sports leagues, frequent community gatherings, community patrol. The city maintains the roads but the HOA does the street landscaping and lighting.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 AM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ours (Estrella) is about $85 per month. We have 80 acres of lakes, miles of trails (mostly desert), a small water park, fitness center, lots of grass and parks with picnic facilities, daily activities including sports leagues, frequent community gatherings, community patrol. The city maintains the roads but the HOA does the street landscaping and lighting.
Wow! You are getting a lot for your buck! How old is your neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area