Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if people have any experience using Uber or Lyft for rides, and if that would be something worth getting into. Either from driving others around, or using their services to get rides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 10:27 PM

489 posts, read 1,324,292 times
I used Uber in Washington DC once. It seemed pretty cool. You can rate your driver and they can rate you. So you know if you're getting a good driver, and on the flip side they can call you out if you're a bad passenger. Kinda keeps everyone accountable. If I recall correctly, you can also track your ride to see where they are after you've called for a pickup. You have an account or something with them and an app for your phone. At least that's the way it was explained to me by the friend who had it. The ride was definitely comfortable, and it felt nicer than being in a taxi. Cost wise, it was more expensive than a taxi but not unreasonably so. They took me pretty far, 30 miles or so, and it cost $100 I think. The estimated cab fare for the same drive was around $80.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM

6 posts, read 19,554 times
I have used uber a few times. There are a couple tiers for uber SUV, Black (Town) Car, Uberx hybrid/prius.

I really like the service because of issues with cab drivers and credit cards. The Uber experience is always pain free and never had any issues with drivers. On top of it, Uber customer service has been top notch. I have had colleagues contact Uber because a driver was a little lost dropping them off and it increased the fare, Uber credited the extra driving fees with no hesitation. I primarily use the service in Seattle for work, but I would think it should be consistent across cities. I believe the drivers are all independent of Uber. Taxi companies/owners are lobbying pretty hard to reduce/eliminate some of Ubers services, in particular Uberx.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:39 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
I use Uber quite a bit, both when traveling and here in the Valley. I started using their black car service but Uber-X has been my go-to since they became readily available. I don't see any value in paying more to ride in a ratty Towncar. It's easy to order a car, cheaper than a cab (Uber-X) and the whole payment process is pain-free. It makes it easy and affordable to have a night out without worrying about waking up in a pink jumpsuit. I hope it's here to stay.

Lyft is new to the Valley and I haven't yet used them. I'm curious to hear from those that have.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 AM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
I used Uber SUV once earlier this year to and from the Birds Nest. Worked out well and was convenient. Just be aware of some of legal questions that are out there, especially for UberX, where you are getting a ride in someone's personal car.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ca...ty-call12.html

Old 03-03-2014, 11:15 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
I used Uber SUV once earlier this year to and from the Birds Nest. Worked out well and was convenient. Just be aware of some of legal questions that are out there, especially for UberX, where you are getting a ride in someone's personal car.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ca...ty-call12.html
What implications does that have on the passengers?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Don't know. Uber has a $1 Million liability policy, but I'm not sure how much their liability has been tested. I wouldn't want to be the test case in the event of a serious injury.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:00 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,507 times
I saw something mentioned on another thread, but I've heard that the biggest difference between Uber/Lyft and a big cab company comes down to insurance coverage in the event of an accident. I've heard a couple radio commercials and I guess Total Transit (the parent company of Discount Cab) is in a legal battle with Uber/Lyft.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post

Call 12: Uber case has implications for ride-share firms
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Liability insurance and driver experience. You and your spouse are in a UberX which gets wiped out in an accident. Does your UberX driver even have insurance required under state law? Who pays your medical bills? Who pays for pain and suffering, loss of wages etc?

And the referenced article: "That means he wasn’t transporting a passenger when it occurred, although the lawsuit alleges he was using Uber’s system at the time to book his next fare. The lawsuit contends the company is refusing to cover others injured in the accident with its oft-touted $1 million insurance policy."

I'm trying to shoot Ubers (With a camera, as an amateur photographer...), two have refused to allow me to photograph them and their car with the mustache...

Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 AM

357 posts, read 711,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

I'm trying to shoot Ubers (With a camera, as an amateur photographer...), two have refused to allow me to photograph them and their car with the mustache...
Take pictures of them why? Also...you have the two confused. Lyft has the drivers whose cars have mustaches. Ubers are not marked, or sometimes have the Uber logo discretely in their windshield.

As a single female I feel significantly safer in Ubers and Lyfts due to the driver rating system, GPS tracking where I'm going, who picked me up, etc. In the Phoenix metro area there are little to no cab regulations which means there are what some call "gypsies" who take people who don't know any better on highly inflated rides since Phoenix does not dictate meter charges, only that there must be a meter. If you need to take a cab use only the large companies such as Discount Cab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area