Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,798 times

Advertisements

Hello,
So my boyfriend and I are planning to move next year around May. We are planning to visit for a weekend in May. We have a friend that lives there and have done our fair share of research on the Phoenix and surrounding area.

Although we haven't physically visited yet.. We are almost 100% sure that we will love the place. We are both basically from and raised in Boston (Although I have lived in GA for some time). We are tired of the city, the cold weather, snow, and people. We would like the change in scenery, warm weather and new environment. What is also a plus is that we can visit CA, NV, and closer to places like TX.

We believe that AZ has a lot to offer us. We are both in our early-mid 20's with no children but we are nervous about finding jobs (hopefully we can get transfers) and finding a good place to live.

We are looking for any advice that you can provide and areas we can specifically look in that are under $750 for at least a 2 bedroom apartment...

ANY ADVICE would be great!!!!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM

62 posts, read 84,626 times
Oh, May is a good time to visit. Weather starts to get hot, but still very nice. You will find that many people here have migrated from the midwest/northeast. Like most major metro cities, each area has its own "vibe." We did a ton of research too, but I would recommend coming down for a week (if you can) to fully look around before deciding. Phoenix metro is HUGE! We moved from Ohio to Scottsdale in 2012 and found the greenbelt area (south Scottsdale). There are a lot of mid-20s couples in that area, though rent can get higher the further north you go. Like you, we were looking for mountain scenery, warm winters, and outdoor activities; and found all that, and more!! Just can't imagine EVER moving back East. Though, just be aware of the summer heat. It is unbelievable! (think: oven heat) If you completely hate 95 degree days in Boston, you should consider something more north of Phoenix. Happy to help answer more questions if you wish...

Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times
I actually disagree somewhat that each area of Phoenix has its own vibe. If anything, most of the neighborhoods and cities tend to blend into one another endlessly. Same people, same housing, same stores. For someone coming from Massachusetts where just about every little suburb and town in the state has it's own unique historic/commercial district and its own independent character, this aspect of PHX is going to be particularly noticeable.

In truth, Phoenix and Boston couldn't be more different in just about every way.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydeerflorian View Post
Hello,

Although we haven't physically visited yet.. We are almost 100% sure that we will love the place.
Don't be so sure until you've visited. You may hate it. Desert living is not for everybody. (Probably not for most people.)

Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydeerflorian View Post
Hello,
So my boyfriend and I are planning to move next year around May. We are planning to visit for a weekend in May. We have a friend that lives there and have done our fair share of research on the Phoenix and surrounding area.

Although we haven't physically visited yet.. We are almost 100% sure that we will love the place. We are both basically from and raised in Boston (Although I have lived in GA for some time). We are tired of the city, the cold weather, snow, and people. We would like the change in scenery, warm weather and new environment. What is also a plus is that we can visit CA, NV, and closer to places like TX.

We believe that AZ has a lot to offer us. We are both in our early-mid 20's with no children but we are nervous about finding jobs (hopefully we can get transfers) and finding a good place to live.

We are looking for any advice that you can provide and areas we can specifically look in that are under $750 for at least a 2 bedroom apartment...

ANY ADVICE would be great!!!!

Thank you!!
1. If you have never been to Phoenix and are considering moving here, May would be one of the least informative times to come. May is one of the most pleasant times to live in Phoenix. Most people would like it, but it's not a measure of what the weather is like here much of the time. You need to come in the summer to see if you can hack it. Seriously, some cannot.

2. You say you are "tired of the city." You do know, don't you, that Phoenix is a much bigger metro than Boston? It has more than double the population. What most people call "Phoenix" is spread all over Maricopa County, which is nearly as big as the entire state of Massachusetts, so it doesn't appear as crowded. But, in fact, that makes it less convenient in a lot of ways.
Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank | Infoplease.com

3. While $750 won't get you into one of the luxury, resort-like condo developments, it's enough to rent a nice apartment. It's not a good idea for us to recommend a place, however, until we find out where you will be working. Due to the size of this place, you could be facing an unworkable commute if you commit to a lease before you find work. Most of us recommend you get temporary housing when you first get here, at least until you are both committed to jobs that you want to keep. As you get situated with employment, you will also learn what areas you like the most.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
I can assure that the newness, cleanliness, and general culture of convenience of Phoenix and Arizona (e.g., 14-15 Costco's in the Phoenix area, drive-through liquor stores, liquor sold until 2:00am, spirits sold at grocery stores and gas stations, entire metro area laid out on an easily navigable grid of six-lane roads, very plentiful parking, driver's licenses that don't expire 'til your 65th birthday, vehicle titles printed at the MVD, no snow to shovel, etc.) is quite refreshing if you're coming from New England.

I'm speaking from experience, darling--I'm from New England, too.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
We moved without jobs and were wary of what our commutes might wind up being. Because of this and some other factors we chose to live downtown. It worked out great for us in all regards. We love the area and wherever our commute takes us it's almost always in reverse, so to say that traffic is backed up in the other direction. Without traffic and being centrally located I can reach most areas of the valley in a reasonable time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area