Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 09:25 PM

264 posts, read 1,596,019 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any feedback on this area? It looks nice, but is it safe? How are the schools, stores, etc?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:52 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Don't know anything specific about the schools, but it's a very nice older area. Lots of green, big trees, etc. I would think that it is generally safe (there's some crime everywhere, so "safe" doesn't mean crime free. As far as the "stores", there are the usual stores for everyday shopping, I'm not sure what you are asking in that regard. For malls, you'd have to drive a little or a lot, depending on which mall or power center, but it's a nice area to live in.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
Know a few people that grew up in that neighborhood and one that still does. Plus I have lived within walking distance of Royal Palm within the past year. It's in the Washington School District and everyone that I knew that had kids sent them to a private school or a charter school. Downside to the neighborhood is that less than half a mile away is 19th Avenue which has a heavy concentration of low income housing and apartment complexes. So those kids fill up the local elementary schools.

You also get to see the beauty of Phoenix zoning or lack thereof, you can be in a neighborhood with half million to million dollar homes and walk a few blocks and be in the 'hood. As far as crime, it's like living in any big city. Just make sure that you keep your house locked up, car locked up and you should be fine. There is still a community feel to that neighborhood and people keep an eye out for suspicious cars and people going through the neighborhood.

With all that being said, if I won the lottery I would buy a home in the Royal Palm Neighborhood in a heartbeat. It's only 20 minutes to downtown, 5 minutes from an extensive trail system at the Phoenix Mountain Preserve, there is a Sprout's and a huge used bookstore that is one of my favorite stores. Couple of my favorite Mexican restaurants are a 5 minute drive and someone just opened a microbrewery down the street. I think it is one of the hidden gems of Phoenix.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
I went to school in that area from 96-2009. I went to Orangewood Elementary, Royal Palm Middle School, and graduated from Sunnyslope. Orangewood and Richard E. Miller actually used to be pretty decent schools with awesome faculty and great parent involvement but the demographics of the area have changed quite a bit since the new millennium and today if I had kids I wouldn't send them to either school. I don't know how Royal Palm Middle School is now but when I went there from 03-05 it was terrible. It was super overcrowded and there were fights all the time and I really did not enjoy my middle school years there. The Washington School District really isn't a highly regarded school district these days. A lot of parents in the area send their kids to school in the Madison School District and I had a few peers who went to Arizona School for the Arts. Now Sunnyslope High School on the other hand is AWESOME! Send your kids there by all means. It's academically respected and I enjoyed my 4 years of high school there (05-09) the teachers are phenomenal, the school excels academically, and the athletics department is generally decent. All in all Sunnyslope greatly prepared me for college. Speaking of the neighborhood the actual Royal Palm neighborhood is quite safe. Like the above mentioned all the riff raff is concentrated on 19th Ave. Lots of shady apartment complexes that don't attract the classiest of people and a lot of heavy foot traffic in the area. The light rail is also currently being extended in that area so there's a lot of construction also.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:58 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
I don't know much about the schools, but this area is located in one of Phoenix's greenbelts. With that said, it is an older area, but the neighborhood itself is very well kept for the most part. I really like areas like these around Phoenix because of the fact that they ARE older, and not dominated by cookie cutter homes & bland desert yards like many of the newer suburban developments are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area