Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:33 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,434 times

Advertisements

retired do not need to work . encanterra ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM

639 posts, read 971,553 times
Very nice, but Encanterra is in the middle of nowhere. You'll have a grocery store and hospital nearby. The community itself is gorgeous, but I think pricing is very high. When we went to a concert there last year, it seemed to be a lot of snowbirds from Canada that live there. Could be wrong, but they asked how many people are from Canada and the vast majority of the people raised their hand LOL.

San Tan Valley is lower priced in general but also pretty far removed from a lot, although it is improving. Shopping is limited, walmart, grocery stores, etc are there though.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:07 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
Encanterra is a beautiful place but as Sandy said, way out there. As are several of the large planned Active Adult communities Like Trilogy @ Vistancia, Sun City Festival, Sun City Anthem, Robson Ranch, etc.

I noticed several of your posts and you have asked about quite a few different areas. I think the thing to consider is your planned lifestyle. If you enjoy being in a community like Encanterra, where most days you will stay within the community, meeting friends, golfing, swimming, hiking and doing most of your socializing, it will be a great experience. Quiet, low crime, like-minded people, great facilities.

But if you want to be close to world class shopping, fine dining, museums, theater, sporting events, etc. you do not want to move to the outskirts of the valley. You said not working, but it will be a hassle to drive 40 miles every time you want to go out, it will be your new commute.

Not trying to dissuade you from Encanterra it works well for many people. I just really think you need to know what you like in terms of lifestyle. You need to visit the area and do some driving around here. As someone who drives a lot I can tell you it gets old fast. You may find yourself not wanting to go to a sporting event or a play because it is too much hassle.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
I agree with the above unless you're a homebody and don't venture out of the house much but just to run to the grocery store, post office, etc then you will likely be content in San Tan Valley. If you're a very active retiree who likes to paint the town red you will HATE San Tan Valley. It's not really a suburb either it's pretty much of town and a loooong drive to anything.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:29 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
may not make a difference to you, but Encanterra HOA's are $240 a month.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 AM

336 posts, read 578,133 times
Encanterra's HOAs are $313, not $240. I know, I just bought a house there! It's a fantastic community.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:47 AM

557 posts, read 736,852 times
San Tan is a dump located in the middle of no where. It actually has a fairly high crime rate because housing is cheap,,so who is gonna move there. Google sex offenders and check how many live in Johnson Ranch. It would scare the hell out of you.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:07 AM

487 posts, read 748,414 times
Well, I'm building out in the Queen Creek / San Tan Valley area, and when we researched it, we didn't find it dump-ish. Of course, maybe $300,000 homes are dumps to some...

Old 04-04-2014, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
I have had friends move from several communities in San Tan Valley because it is SO far from anywhere. 20-40 minutes to get to major shopping. The housing prices are lower than Gilbert in a lot of the communities. I know one family moved because of all the gunshots and police activity in the middle of the night. A lot of rental homes were a problem as well--neighbors there for short periods of time, big turn-over.
Of course, there are nicer and more expensive communities in Queen Creek, but when homes start in the $100,000s, I know people who have seen problems . . . and moved!

Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM

487 posts, read 748,414 times
20-40 minutes from major shopping didn't bother me a bit. I'm one mile from major shopping where I live now and the traffic noise is horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area