U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM

19 posts, read 21,662 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are researching moving our family to Arizona this summer/early fall. We are in Minnesota (Twin Cities) now and are just tired of these never ending winters and not so fantastic summers. We have 3 small kids, our oldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. In the suburb we live in all the elementary schools are great, but the one we were planning to send her to is the best of the best. I would love to provide the same opportunity for her and her younger siblings when it is their turn. What are the best public elementary schools in Chandler and Tempe?

We will also be renting a house the first year to make sure the move fits and to get an idea of a permanent home base. We really love the Master Planned Communities that we have seen and feel that would be a great way to meet new people. What are the best MPC's that go along with the best elementary schools in your opinion? We are coming down on a fact finding mission in early June and are hoping to check out homes then. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:45 AM

17,542 posts, read 34,606,778 times
I'm not sure how many developments in those two cities meet the definition of Master Planned Communities. When you say that, what are you looking for in terms of a community? And what is your budget?

Old 03-31-2014, 08:00 AM

I would say monthly rental budget of $1,500 to $1,800. An example of a Master Planned Community that I was looking at last night was Adora Trails in Gilbert. While I understand that this is a new development and I am guessing no rentals, this is an example of what we are looking for in a community. I like the features of a MPC with events for the community, trails, parks, community center, etc. I looked at the elementary school that is located at Adora Trails and it has great ratings with greatschools.com. Also if at all possible a private pool or one within the community. Trying to make it extra hard to move back to the frozen tundra after living in AZ for a year!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,453,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgmamamn View Post
My husband and I are researching moving our family to Arizona this summer/early fall. We are in Minnesota (Twin Cities) now and are just tired of these never ending winters and not so fantastic summers. We have 3 small kids, our oldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. In the suburb we live in all the elementary schools are great, but the one we were planning to send her to is the best of the best. I would love to provide the same opportunity for her and her younger siblings when it is their turn. What are the best public elementary schools in Chandler and Tempe?

We will also be renting a house the first year to make sure the move fits and to get an idea of a permanent home base. We really love the Master Planned Communities that we have seen and feel that would be a great way to meet new people. What are the best MPC's that go along with the best elementary schools in your opinion? We are coming down on a fact finding mission in early June and are hoping to check out homes then. Thank you!
Northern MN might get another foot of snow in the next day! I feel for you!

Re: schools. This may not go over well with some of the AZ natives. But the reality is Arizona spends 30% less per pupil than in MN. If MN teachers who relocate to Arizona are to be believed, AZ schools are not at the same caliber. To illustrate my point, our son is at one of the big three service academies. The MN cadets often comment how well they were academically prepared as compared to other appointees in various parts of the country. In MN, some of the private high schools have over 25% attending the Ivy's and upwards of 90% that get into the top colleges.

The good news is your family culture (and the family cultures or students around them) dictate the majority of their accomplishments. The AZ districts that you are considering are full of caring educated parents. Statistically speaking, higher educated families have high expectations for their kids. I only mention this because there are trade-offs. Your taxes will be lower and pubic schools are not funded as well here in AZ.

My final point... In MN, the highest amount spent on students is in the inner cities (MPLS) at over $17,000 per pupil. Spending $$'s on the wrong students doesn't garantee performance. But spending more $$'s on motivated students will help. You could spend $50K on that Minneapolis school/student and get near zero academic benefits. When you include the outliers ($17K a year per pupil on inner city babysitting) it "proves" that more money equals no additional benifit.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 AM

Mn-Born-N-Raised thanks for this feedback. This is really one of the negatives for moving for me. We just had all day kindergarten approved in the state of MN and what they are expected to learn in the first year truly amazes me! I am worried about putting them in a school that isn't as good as what we can get here in MN without shelling out a ton of money for private school. I grew up in Iowa and my school district was below average at best; however I went to the best elementary school and grew up with kids that were expected to excel with their studies as was I. When our elementary school merged into junior high, then junior high to high school, our elementary class was the minority as far as outperforming our peers and the majority of us went onto great colleges, careers and business. I probably sound so snobby, but for me, quality education is critical for my kids. Critical. The public schools here in MN really are fantastic, heck the kids are even using iPads in preschool now to keep up with the technology and many school districts, Minneapolis being one of them, gives the students iPads for learning. It is awesome!

That being said, my husband and I truly feel our quality of life is being compromised with this awful weather. We came to Phoenix at the beginning of March for a vacation and it was wonderful. Of course vacation is wonderful, but we really did enjoy each other more as a family in the nicer, sunnier weather. My almost 5 year old is miserable in this weather and even the baby was in tears when we got back. We are starting to feel that it is just not worth it anymore. We have an amazing backyard that was a dream come true and we get to use it at best 4 months out of the year? Lovely.

Also it is going to be April 1st tomorrow and it is going to snow. It snowed on May 2nd last year. O-v-e-r I-t.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 AM

I am not aware of any true MPC in Tempe, with a community center, etc., and lots of homes with pools and a community pool except The Lakes, which is off Baseline between Rural and McClintock. I lived there for 13 years. It dates from the early 70's, it's still very nice, centrally located, good Tempe Elementary School District schools right outside the community. Chandler may have some, I'm just not as familiar with all of Chandler (not sure if Ocotillo fits in that category, but the schools serving that area are good, my nephew's children go there.)

Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 AM

Thank you observer53! Are there areas in Tempe that you can recommend? I would also consider Gilbert as long as we were in the Chandler Unified School District. The thread rolling around here about the trouble in Gilbert schools makes me nervous.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 AM

5,843 posts, read 8,426,202 times
Yes, Ocotillo is a MPC but no community pool. The Chandler Pk district pool isn't that far away, very near the library which has lots of stuff for little kids. Or you may want your own pool in your yard. Also those kids go to great schools, Jacobbson, Bogel and Hamilton Hi. I would avoid Gilbert school district just because no one knows exactly what is going to happen with them.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:53 AM

We would love, love to have our own pool and that is one of our goals so the community pool isn't as important. I just like the idea that there are events for the kids and for us to get to know people. That isn't always an easy feat here in MN and I love what I have seen when exploring MPC's. Thanks for the tips PhxBarb!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info, PhxBarb! I knew someone would chime in!

The other good thing about Ocotillo is that it's green there.. I mean lawns, not desert landscaping. May be an easier acclimation from MN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or