Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:52 AM

2,783 posts, read 7,443,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Why do people move to AZ and then try to change it to be like where they came from?

We go to Papago all the time and like it the way it is. If it's got too much civilization for your tastes then head another direction.
I fail to see how a proposal to bury power lines is an effort to make Papago Park look like somewhere else. Such a project, if feasible, would just make Papago Park a better version of itself. I don't think anyone's talking about putting in huge lawns, non-native trees, or anything that might change its essential character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM

648 posts, read 3,089,331 times
to each his/her own, but i don't think it's anything. no comparison to lincoln or central park.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:22 PM

89 posts, read 326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Would you have felt the same way about loud country music, loud classic rock, etc. ? Whenever I hear this complaint, I always wonder why the ethnicity of the music is important enough to mention.

IF, I would of ever heard loud country or rock there, I would of mentioned it. But all I hear there is mexican music everytime I pedal by. No different then Encanto Park...

Old 12-07-2007, 01:47 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350 View Post
No different then Encanto Park...
Then, you have never been to Papago Park -

For, if you had, you would have heard great Jazz. R+B. Rock. New Age as well

Encanto and Papago Park cannot be compared - not even remotely.

Like I said - you have never been there

Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
They also had reserved right of ways

AND, they did not have Indian Burial Sites to contend with either
Where are the burial sites? Below the giant steel columns and cement anchors already in the ground below the lines?

And what right of ways are you talking about? SRP is happy to bury their own powerlines if someone else pays for it. Since most of the park is undeveloped, I can't imagine there's much, if any other utilities to contend with. Just curious.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Why do people move to AZ and then try to change it to be like where they came from?

We go to Papago all the time and like it the way it is. If it's got too much civilization for your tastes then head another direction.
Those powerlines are 10-12 stories tall with dozens of cables running right above the scenic red rocks. I'm simply suggesting the scenery be changed back to what it looked like before someone moved here and decided to change it to look ugly by blighting the park's views.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Those powerlines are 10-12 stories tall with dozens of cables running right above the scenic red rocks. I'm simply suggesting the scenery be changed back to what it looked like before someone moved here and decided to change it to look ugly by blighting the park's views.
With all due respect - do you have any idea how long those lines have been there?

I would venture a guess that they were there before you were born!

They were there before Papago Park?

BTW, do you know what, historically, Papago Park is famous for???

Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM

2,783 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

BTW, do you know what, historically, Papago Park is famous for???
Is this quiz for everyone? If so, my answer, in the form of a question, is the following:

Which Phoenix park housed a prison camp for German prisoners of war during WWII?

Have I scored in Phoenix City-Data Forum Jeopardy?

By the way, I still think joninaz's idea is a well-intentioned and reasonable one worthy of discussion. It may not be feasible; I don't have enough expertise to say, but it can be the basis of a good, constructive conversation about the park and its future.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:24 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Viewed from the right vantage point, at the right angle, Papago Park can be beautiful. Here's a picture I shot last Saturday:

Old 12-07-2007, 05:34 PM

The powelines, I believe, were put up in the 70s.

I didn't say they were there before the park. AzDreamer thought it's best to leave the park as it and not to change things. My comment was the park was there before the powerlines, so by his/her reasoning, it's the power company that that changed the park. I'm interested in scenic restoration.

Historically, it seems to be know for a lot of things. What's your view?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area