Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,146,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
What we have here is a failure to communicate. Apparently, you believe the police department is there to "protect" you and your stuff.. That notion went away with Andy Griffith, and was re-affirmed with about a dozen supreme court cases, starting with Warren vs. DC in 1981. The police will respond in a timely fashion to a *business* being burglarized, (because businesses are people with rights!), but ordinary subjects are on their own. The only thing keeping your stuff inside your home is the kindness & civility of your local meth-head. The emporer has no clothes..
That's what supply-side policing as all about.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:50 PM

963 posts, read 1,330,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
What are they going to do? Unless it's in the act, they're just going to file a report. They're not going to take boot/finger prints.

B&Es suck and the people who commit them are the biggest pieces of crap in the world. That being said, unless it's in the act, there's really nothing that can be done (unless you catch them ).
Yes, take finger prints, link them to other crimes, it is called police work.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,592,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sounds to me if the city can't afford to hire sufficient police. In other words, not enough tax dollars.
Jumping a six-foot wall and appearing (uninvited) into someone's backyard is a great way to get high-velocity-lead-poisoning in Arizona. I suspect this crime spree will come to a very bad ending if it continues..

Old 04-03-2014, 01:48 PM

537 posts, read 1,537,780 times
I've had several neighbors that were really funny about calling the police. They will peek out of the house and be able to describe every thing to you. Could be that they feel they would be getting too involved if they called the heat. If the perps were caught the neighbor might have to testify in court. The midnight police officer asked me why the neighbor didn't call the police and I didn't have an answer. The neighbor did run around to the alley and yell at the people who then jumped in the truck and threw it in reverse and threw rocks everywhere. They didn't lose control and back into a pole or through some one else's block wall. The burglar was not finished, I'm sure. Some of my yard decorations were cockeyed like he tried to pull them up. This really wasn't such a big loss. No one got hurt. I just feel violated.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,863,823 times
I hate to say it but it seems like services and enforcement vary from neighborhood to neighborhood.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:07 PM

2,760 posts, read 5,680,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Yes, take finger prints, link them to other crimes, it is called police work.
You watch too much CSI.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 PM

38,955 posts, read 50,866,357 times
I had my lawn mower stolen when I lived in s. Phoenix years ago. I was mowing the front and stopped to go in for a drink for a moment. When I came back my mower was gone - mid stripe! I never called the cops either. What would be the point? If people actually did call them the Phoenix crime rate would be 10 times what it is.

Advice to newcomers - avoid homes with alleys.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,009,321 times
Quote:
Jumping a six-foot wall and appearing (uninvited) into someone's backyard is a great way to get high-velocity-lead-poisoning in Arizona. I suspect this crime spree will come to a very bad ending if it continues..
I'm not into shooting people for stealing, but I'm sure that I know folks that are.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,009,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I've had several neighbors that were really funny about calling the police. They will peek out of the house and be able to describe every thing to you. Could be that they feel they would be getting too involved if they called the heat. If the perps were caught the neighbor might have to testify in court. The midnight police officer asked me why the neighbor didn't call the police and I didn't have an answer. The neighbor did run around to the alley and yell at the people who then jumped in the truck and threw it in reverse and threw rocks everywhere. They didn't lose control and back into a pole or through some one else's block wall. The burglar was not finished, I'm sure. Some of my yard decorations were cockeyed like he tried to pull them up. This really wasn't such a big loss. No one got hurt. I just feel violated.

They probably would only have to sign an affidavit that stated license plate number, make & model of the vehicle, etc.

Just plain weird that they didn't call the police; maybe they're afraid of retaliation?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,477,156 times
Quote:
What we have here is a failure to communicate. Apparently, you believe the police department is there to "protect" you and your stuff.. That notion went away with Andy Griffith, and was re-affirmed with about a dozen supreme court cases, starting with Warren vs. DC in 1981. The police will respond in a timely fashion to a *business* being burglarized, (because businesses are people with rights!), but ordinary subjects are on their own. The only thing keeping your stuff inside your home is the kindness & civility of your local meth-head. The emporer has no clothes..
Not only that but Phoenix is certainly no Mayberry.

The police have more pressing matters to attend to, incidents like like stolen lawn equipment are not priorities when there are homicides, home invasions, and other violent crimes happening all over.

I'm not trying to trivialize a theft like this but it's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area