U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 AM

17,827 posts, read 38,839,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The Yelp app allows you to bookmark restaurants that you want to try and sorts them by distance from your current location. It's pretty useful.

ETA: There's a mapping function to it too. There's an app for that!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM

269 posts, read 771,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I wish there was an app where you could mark on a map the restaurants that you've had recommendations about, so that when you're out and about and hungry, or planning to be outside your usual part of the Valley, you could pull up restaurants in that area and go try them.
This is my favorite map for those options:

PHXfoodnerds.com • View topic - PHXfoodnerds Food Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Preference is for ethnic eats (not Japanese) in a budget friendly place. Authentic is great...
I live in NW Phoenix (Stetson Valley), and these are a few of my favorites:

Vietnamese: Pho Avina, especially their bánh xèo (allow extra time/order right away) and the bò tái chan (rare beef salad).
PHỞ AVINA ~ VIETNAMESE CUISINE

South American/Ecuadorian: Mi Comida Restaurante Latino. Favorites include arepas con queso, pastel criollo de pollo (or any of their empanadas), Ecuadorian tamale, carimanolas (crispy yuca stuffed with ground meat). and ceviche mixto Ecuatoriano:
Instagram
https://plus.google.com/113072368205...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Filipino: Casa Filipina and Bakeshop. Wonderful pastries and bread and, for food, I recommend their lechon kawali (roasted crispy pork), pancit (noodles), lumpiang Shanghai (spring rolls), sizzling binagoongang (lechon kawali with eggplant in a tangy-sweet sauce), and chicken Inasal (grilled with lemongrass and anatto).
Casa Filipina - Home Page

Korean: Cafe Ga Hyang. Lots of homemade panchan that rotate and some favorite dishes and descriptions with pics here:
PHXfoodnerds.com • View topic - Cafe Ga Hyang - The Holy Grail?

Moroccan: Alzohour Market. I LOVE her bastilla and cod tagine.
Al-Zohour Market & Restaurant - zabihah.com

Lebanese: I stopped in at Cleopatra Mediterranean one day and picked up a menu but haven't eaten there. Looked good though, and I liked the fact that they served kibbeh nayeh.
http://cleopatraaz.com/

Neapolitan pizza (VPN certified):
http://lapiazzaalforno.com/pizza.html

Cantonese: Lucky's King Wah/King Wah Express. I really like the fried bean cakes/tofu, curry beef brisket, Shanghai (Sing-Hi) chicken, and the "old style char siu", though the friendly owners will help you out with menu suggestions.
https://plus.google.com/113110371758...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Haven't found Mexican or Thai yet that I love.

Last edited by Rubee; 04-06-2014 at 05:40 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM

16,982 posts, read 22,134,966 times
Rubee, thanks. You've made me want to extend my stay in the NW section of Phoenix!

Old 04-07-2014, 01:13 PM

868 posts, read 1,026,999 times
Esther's Jamaican Food
Esther's Jamaican Food To Go | The Best Jamaican Food in Glendale Arizona

This is more of a to go place because they only have about 2 tables in the place. They only have a few things on the menu, but the highlights:
Curried goat
Oxtail
Jerk chicken (spicy, very spicy)

You get a lot of food in your order but you have to try her Patties. They're like Jamaica's version of empanadas and they are delish.

Pictures on the website look like VHS screen shots from 30 years ago and do not do the place justice. Trust me and the majority of other online reviews of the place when I say this is the best Jamaican food outside of Jamaica. This is the ultimate dive for adventurous foodies in Phoenix.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:35 PM

269 posts, read 771,440 times
Quote:
Rubee, thanks. You've made me want to extend my stay in the NW section of Phoenix!
You're welcome. Hope you like them as much as I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
Esther's Jamaican Food
Esther's Jamaican Food To Go | The Best Jamaican Food in Glendale Arizona

This is more of a to go place because they only have about 2 tables in the place. They only have a few things on the menu, but the highlights:
Curried goat
Oxtail
Jerk chicken (spicy, very spicy)

You get a lot of food in your order but you have to try her Patties. They're like Jamaica's version of empanadas and they are delish.

Pictures on the website look like VHS screen shots from 30 years ago and do not do the place justice. Trust me and the majority of other online reviews of the place when I say this is the best Jamaican food outside of Jamaica. This is the ultimate dive for adventurous foodies in Phoenix.
What a great tip! Can't wait to check it out. Locally for Jamaican, I've only been to The Breadfruit downtown. Totally different atmsophere, but I especially like their rum cocktails, pimento-wood-smoked mussels, and escovitch fish.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 AM

1,132 posts, read 2,736,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I went to Chicago Gyro's today after reading your post and it was great! I would definitely recommend it.
I had take out there the same night. Glad you enjoyed it.

I also meant to tell the OP that for Mexican we really like to go a little further away to Carolina's second location at Cactus and Cave Creek Rd. It's great that we don't have to go downtown for it anymore.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:17 PM

Just to update this thread, we had our few days in the NW section and enjoyed several good to very good meals.

Following Rubee's fine advice, we hit Casa Fillapina for a late lunch. Service and friendliness were sorely lacking, but the food was good. Especially the pancit (I've enjoyed pancit in many places, including in Filipino homes). Since we don't have any Filipino restaurants in Raleigh, this was a good choice.

We also thank Rubee for our delightful dinner at La Piazza Fiorno. Close to Naples tasting pizza (especially the sopressata on the pizza, which it an Italian style hot salami. They were nice enough to fulfill my request to tell me what brand it was when I told them I would take the secret back with me to NC). Server was friendly, wine list was exceptionally good at great prices, and the pasta dish we shared (rigatoni Al Fiorno) was very good that night. Strangely, the reheated leftovers the next morning were bland - can't figure out what happened there. We would be regulars if we lived in the area.

Wanted to go to King Wah and get take out, but arrived on a Wednesday evening to find them closed on that day of the week. Strange. We ended up with a delivery of Papa John's.

One excellent dinner at Thai Lotus encouraged me to go back by myself for lunch. The dinner was very good, service excellent. All three of us enjoyed our food. I had the Thai BBQ chicken special (the sticky rice was awful, though, like a rock). Husband had a pepper steak dish that was very tasty with surprisingly tender meat, brother had rainbow rice, which looked and smelled delicious. These folks are right in the middle of the light rail construction and obviously suffering, so I decided to revisit for lunch a day or two later. Sadly, this visit was a bit disappointing. While the pad thai was fine (no shrimp for the lunch), it was nothing special. And the free included soup was dismal. The free included spring roll would have been great had it been cooked to order. The service was disinterested, slow as blazes and amazingly unfriendly - even though some of the servers were from our visit earlier that week! I can't figure this place out. But for those who are looking for Thai in the that area, I'd still suggest a visit for dinner.

One other restaurant visit of note was not in Glendale, but in Tempe. For those who are looking for Thai food in that area, I would seriously encourage a visit to Tasty Thai. Excellent Thai food (and we've eaten in Thailand AND at Lotus of Siam in LV many times). One of the best green curries I've had in years that even included eggplant. And yes, they WILL make dishes spicy. The place itself is nothing to look at, and the service was less friendly than most other Thai restaurants we've visited, but the food - oh my! And thank you for the BYOB, no corkage policy. I'm told the place does a booming lunch business, and it was pretty crowded for dinner, with the Asian population clearly in the majority.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM

17,827 posts, read 38,839,693 times
Quote:

One other restaurant visit of note was not in Glendale, but in Tempe. For those who are looking for Thai food in that area, I would seriously encourage a visit to Tasty Thai. Excellent Thai food (and we've eaten in Thailand AND at Lotus of Siam in LV many times). One of the best green curries I've had in years that even included eggplant. And yes, they WILL make dishes spicy. The place itself is nothing to look at, and the service was less friendly than most other Thai restaurants we've visited, but the food - oh my! And thank you for the BYOB, no corkage policy. I'm told the place does a booming lunch business, and it was pretty crowded for dinner, with the Asian population clearly in the majority.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Well, now I will have to try Tasty Thai.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 PM

1,798 posts, read 2,597,103 times
There is an Indian food buffet not far from where you will be staying:

Indian Maharaja Palace
5775 West Bell Road
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=India...an+ma&t=m&z=14

It's cheap and they have good butter chicken and tandoori chicken, among other things.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
There is an Indian food buffet not far from where you will be staying:

Indian Maharaja Palace
5775 West Bell Road
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=India...an+ma&t=m&z=14

It's cheap and they have good butter chicken and tandoori chicken, among other things.
Thanks, but we returned home 2 weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area