Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 AM

335 posts, read 974,412 times

Advertisements

What are some of the best schools in both towns (Public, charter or Catholic)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM

15 posts, read 64,155 times
We are moving to Gilbert (from Colorado) next month. Looked in both Chander and Gilbert for housing. We ended up deciding to live in Gilbert but chose Chander district schools. We have one child starting High School. We visited 6 different High Schools in Gilbert and Chandler districts and found Basha High to be the perfect match for our son. Definitely take the time to visit as many schools as you can. There were several that were good.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:27 AM

19 posts, read 23,769 times
I am a Realtor in the SE Valley, so I can't answer a lot of these questions due to Fair Housing laws. However, I would say that the suggestion to rent for a while if you can, before you buy, is a good one. It lets you get a feel for the area before you make that major purchase.

That said, there are many really nice neighborhoods in both Chandler and Gilbert - it just depends on what is important to you. There are gated communities in both cities, but since these are a little more pricey, they don't usually have community pools. A lot of the houses in the communities would have their own pool.

As far as Crime Statistics, you should be able to Google them and get some good ideas, there are a lot of websites out there with that info.

Schools are a little more personal. You can Google them for statistics, but a site like this is invaluable if you can get other parent's honest opinions and evaluations. A lot of the websites that you Google will also have reviews from parents.

Just do as much research as you can before you come out to see the area. If you have any specific real estate questions, I would be happy to answer them for you, absolutely no obligations.

Best of Luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 PM

72 posts, read 133,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
What are some of the best schools in both towns (Public, charter or Catholic)?
Here is a link to all the "A" Graded schools in both towns. Chandler has some "Academy" schools that offer more homework and accelerated learning programs for gifted students who are bored in traditional public schools. They treat students as though they are in private schools for public school costs.

The most prominent Catholic school in the area is Seton Catholic in Chandler.

As most posters have mentioned, Chandler is still relatively new neighborhoods, but has had numerous hi-tech companies within its borders that have attracted enough people to the city to make it feel more established and diverse than Gilbert.

Gilbert has grown even faster in recent years, has newer neighborhoods in general, and is further away from Phoenix, Tempe, the airport, etc. I often hear Gilbert referred to as a suburb of Salt Lake City because of its "feel."

Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 PM

335 posts, read 974,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxMan500 View Post
Here is a link to all the "A" Graded schools in both towns. Chandler has some "Academy" schools that offer more homework and accelerated learning programs for gifted students who are bored in traditional public schools. They treat students as though they are in private schools for public school costs.

The most prominent Catholic school in the area is Seton Catholic in Chandler.

As most posters have mentioned, Chandler is still relatively new neighborhoods, but has had numerous hi-tech companies within its borders that have attracted enough people to the city to make it feel more established and diverse than Gilbert.

Gilbert has grown even faster in recent years, has newer neighborhoods in general, and is further away from Phoenix, Tempe, the airport, etc. I often hear Gilbert referred to as a suburb of Salt Lake City because of its "feel."
Thank you for the reply, but where is the link?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I will speak for Chandler because that is where I live. For elementary schools, some of the best schools are CTA's (Chandler Traditional Academies). A google search or Chandler district website search will show where the CTA only elementary schools are, as well as some schools which have the CTA and normal curriculum, you can choose either from the same school. The schools that are strictly CTA and not a mix require uniforms, the schools with a mix of both curriculum's do not require uniforms. On top of that, some of the elementary schools without the CTA option also score 10/10 typically, some that come to mind are Ryan, Fulton and Jacobsen. For High Schools Hamilton HS is one of the best in the valley, private or not and it is a public high school.

Keep in mind you may buy a house in Gilbert and end up with a Chandler district school. Weinberg for example is a Chandler school (with CTA option) but is located in the City of Gilbert.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I should also mention, CTA teaches above grade level, and my son is in that (finishing Kindergarten). There is homework every night and a decent amount of it. The classic curriculum also has homework every night but it's a smaller amount. This gets a little difficult because I keep my son active in sports and it's tough balancing getting all the homework done every night and also find time for the practices. Something to keep in mind, we like that he is pushed academically though.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Be aware that Gilbert schools have gotten some bad press lately. There is a tea party faction on the school board that has caused a lot of controversy, and there have been a large amount of staff resignations. You should also know that school district boundaries do not conform to city limits, so, for example, you can be in Gilbert and yet be in the Chandler school district. There is also open enrollment, so your child can attend a different school than the one designated for your neighborhood, if there is space and if you are willing to provide your own transportation.

Trouble in Gilbert Schools

Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Gilbert has a pretty strong Mormon influence and is highly conservative but Chandler not so much.

I like the clean suburban feel of Gilbert but Chandler is more to my liking because it has more diversity, better shopping choices, good schools, and easier freeway access.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Gilbert has a pretty strong Mormon influence and is highly conservative but Chandler not so much.

I like the clean suburban feel of Gilbert but Chandler is more to my liking because it has more diversity, better shopping choices, good schools, and easier freeway access.
THAT ^^^. From my way of looking at it, the two communities are quite different. I see Chandler as being more sophisticated and its proximity to the university in Tempe is attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area