Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM

25 posts, read 20,469 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move to Phoenix, maybe even as soon as next month. I've been out there and viewed a few apartment complexes, but I've done most of my looking online.

I'm trying to keep the rent as low as possible; six-month lease while I look for a house. Studio or 1br. What I can't decide on is whether to go with one of the newer places out in the northeast part of town, or one of those cool, refurbished, Mid-Century complexes in Midtown. So far, the companies I've been speaking to are all out East off 101, so living in that area would make my commute nice and save on gas. But . . . Midtown is a lot cheaper, and I'm a sucker for MCM architecture.

What I'm hoping to find out is 1) if these Midtown places are reasonably safe with no weird bedbug or other-bug issues; 2) how horrible the drive would be from Midtown to the other side of 101; and 3) if it's worth not having an in-unit washer and dryer to live in one of the older complexes.

Thanks in advance for any perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
You said you want to keep your rent as low as possible.....well what's your budget for rent? What is "low rent" to you? Midtown does have nice condo units and Central Phoenix is nice and becoming more and more "youthful" and very artsy and has some great eats but in all seriousness if you're going to be working in the East Valley or in Scottsdale save yourself the headache and just live on that side of town. For the couple of dollars you'll be saving in rent living in Midtown (you might not be saving any money really because the nice units in Midtown aren't cheap) will be used up in gas commuting back&forth. Northeast Phoenix (which is cheaper than North Scottsdale) has plenty of apartments that I'm sure will fit your criteria. And to answer your last question imo it's so worth it to get a place with a washer and dryer in your apartment. It's a pain to have to pack up all your clothes and go to a public/shared facility or a friend's house every time you have to do a load of laundry.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 AM

163 posts, read 206,964 times
I can't speak to the apt complexes except to say that there are so many that you can most likely find 1 in your price range that is relatively close to where you'll be working but I completely agree about having a washer/dryer in your unit. A big key in my opinion.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,994 times
we looked at some cheap apts. in midtown and they were complete dumps filled with sketchy people. Midtown does have a lot going for it and does have some nice complexes but the "you get what you pay for" saying definitely holds true. Places such as 3030 north and plaza 550 look great online and the rent is cheap, but upon walking onto the property there was just no way.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:54 PM

25 posts, read 20,469 times
Thanks for all the replies! This information is really helpful. I've located a few properties up around Moon Valley and Cave Creek, and I think I'll stick with those.

(BTW -- I'm trying to stay under $800/mo. The closer I get to $1,000 for an apartment, the more it feels like a rip off. That's too much for any apartment, in my opinion.)

Old 04-25-2014, 05:45 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
When I used to work near Park Central I remember there were many nice apartments around there, a little on the old side but some were remodeled.

Midtown is centrally located, walkable with good bus service and light rail.

One of the problems with living in midtown is the lack of good shopping nearby, and I mean even the basics are hard to come by within walking distance so you still have to drive to a shopping center.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:59 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
One of the problems with living in midtown is the lack of good shopping nearby, and I mean even the basics are hard to come by within walking distance so you still have to drive to a shopping center.
Not necessarily. There's Bashas and Safeway at 7th Avenue & Osborn, A.J.'s at Central & Camelback, Walgreens at Central & Osborn, and a number of convenience stores. I do wish both Midtown and Downtown would have more corner markets for the people who live there. That would encourage more walking & less driving. As it stands now, shopping is lacking around the Central Corridor (especially since Park Central has become more office than retail), but there are supermarkets in the area that are within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area