Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

African American couple moving from Jacksonville, FL to Scottsdale area, looking for computer jobs, cost of living information, housing market, friendliness of people

Old 11-25-2007, 09:04 AM

208 posts, read 819,614 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are contemplating moving to the Phoenix area (specifically Scottsdale). I don't plan on moving until I finish my Bachelors degree, and we plan on learning a good amount of Spanish before we leave.

I'm trying to find out about computer related jobs in the Scottsdale area, I can easily look at sites like monster and hotjobs, but they always show contract positions, and I'm looking for something permanent.

I've read that the African American community in and around Scottsdale is nothing to write home about, but I'm used to that in the IT industry.

My wife and I have traveled to Nevada during the summer, and we actually enjoyed the hot dry air compared to the hot humid air in Jacksonville. I realize that the housing market is in shambles across the country, and I don't expect Arizona to be much different.

I'm hoping that my wife and I will make close to a six figure income after I graduate, and since I also plan on obtaining my Masters, I'm hoping money won't be an issue there. I guess I'll just sum it up with some questions:

1. Is the cost of living in Arizona (Scottsdale) expensive?
2. How is the housing market; condo vs. single family home?
3. How are the jobs there, specifically IT?
4. How are the people in general? There are good and bad people everywhere, I just want a generalization.

I apologize for the long post, and thanks to anyone who answers. Please add anything, it will definitely help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Scottsdale is a very nice place to live. However, I'm not sure how much you will be able to buy with even "close to a six figure income", as it is very expensive. Most homes will be $400 and on up to the millions, but probably more around $400-800k. I believe it's a tad cheaper in south scottsdale though ($300's?). There are condos and that's probably what you'd find, some are super expensive, but there are some that are under $300k still, they will be the older ones. The more expensive ones I've seen were $300k-600k and up.

A lot has been said about Scottsdale, and I encourage you do a search about it. You will find just about anything you need on these forums as most everything has been asked.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Scottsdale, AZ, Real Estate Listings and Scottsdale, AZ Homes for Sale - Realtor.com

Check out the site above for houses/condos in Scottsdale. Sorry I have no first hand info to offer you since I've never been there personally. I just find this site useful. Happy hunting and good luck to you.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,854 times
I work in IT and I think that we have a good market here. Do you do tech support? Don't forget to go to companies web sites and look for openings there, many don't advertise on Careerbuilder, Hotjobs, etc.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:00 AM

300 posts, read 952,121 times
You'll need your Bachelors degree if you plan on making good money here in Phoenix.

Keep an eye out for Apollo group (univ of Phoenix) IT jobs..they pay very well.

If you plan on being with the African American community, good luck with that here in the desert.

1) yes
2) prices are dropping - lots of selection now.
3) Check out Career Builder..its not great but not bad.
4) People are very different here. Don't except any southern hospitality, people hardly say hello to you. Expect to stay indoors most of the summer.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:29 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Computerguy,

I suggest that first you determine the price range of the home you will be comfortable with.

Next find out where you will be working.

Once you know your comfortable price range and where your work place will be, then you can begin to determine what location you should research.

You need to know if you're comfortable with long commutes or if a short commute is better for you.

There are many good areas in the valley, and once you know the above criteria, it will be easier to determine where to buy.

The prices in some areas have and are falling drastically. Others are holding up pretty well.

Much has to do with how many homes are for sale in a community, the desirability of the community, and the urgency for a seller to sell.

Buyers are being very picky because there is a large inventory. And in some cases they are being so picky that they cannot find a home to fit.

In the lakefront subdivision where I live, there are 7 of 138 homes for sale on the lake. About 5 more off the lake.

They are selling slowly but the ones who have no urgency to sell are holding the line on their price. I sold a home on the water that closed two days ago. There were two bidders, and my client was the successful bidder. It sold within 5% of the listed price within 30 days.

The losing bidder is still looking for a home. They have looked at 100 homes, and have seen all the homes for sale on this lake, and really want this area but are being very selective.

Their agent approached me to ask if I would be willing to sell my home if it met their needs. I told them my home is not for sale, but I would agree to show it, and if they made me an offer that I could not refuse I would strongly consider it.

There is a nice area in Tempe where for a couple of square miles there are probably less than a dozen homes for sale.

Bill

Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
4) People are very different here. Don't except any southern hospitality, people hardly say hello to you.
Speaking of Southern hospitality, I read a very interesting thread yesterday!

People in the South say it in a way that guards them from a counter attack - "Well, bless your heart" (F You in southern speak)- To which I say "bless your heart too"

I am from the south and it is funny how you can say just about anything and it is "OK" if you follow it with a Bless your heart.....

For example...

"That girl is as ugly as homemade soap, Bless her heart"

Rudest Region

Never been to the South and never heard about this before, but I'm thinking of becoming "nice" and adopting it! Sounds cool...

Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Speaking of Southern hospitality, I read a very interesting thread yesterday!

People in the South say it in a way that guards them from a counter attack - "Well, bless your heart" (F You in southern speak)- To which I say "bless your heart too"

I am from the south and it is funny how you can say just about anything and it is "OK" if you follow it with a Bless your heart.....

For example...

"That girl is as ugly as homemade soap, Bless her heart"

Rudest Region

Never been to the South and never heard about this before, but I'm thinking of becoming "nice" and adopting it! Sounds cool...
YES and I've been called "Ma'am" with such venom that they can keep their so-called "manners." My sis in law is actually Southern so I know some of the tactics. Polite phrases are used as a code for things that I'm not able to post here. I'm just glad we have a close relationship so I've been let in on some of those little code and secret phrases. LOL

Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
YES and I've been called "Ma'am" with such venom that they can keep their so-called "manners." My sis in law is actually Southern so I know some of the tactics. Polite phrases are used as a code for things that I'm not able to post here. I'm just glad we have a close relationship so I've been let in on some of those little code and secret phrases. LOL
I was born in Dickson Tn and lived in Nashville until about 10 years old. My parents retired to Dickson later in life and I spent a lot of time there visiting and helping them out over the years.

There are a few things that come to mind that they say in that area:

When you're visiting and getting ready to go, they say: "Well, youall (pronounced yawl) might as well just stay with us." Which means, damn I thought you'd never leave.

And when they're visiting you and getting ready to leave: "Yawl come see us y'heah" Which means, and I hope we're not at home.

When they say they'll be at your place "early in the morning" that means some time before noon -- maybe.

If they say they'll see you after lunch, that means sometimes before it gets dark. (Actually they say dinner, because dinner is lunch, and supper is dinner)

One of the sayings is : Think you'll ever amount to anything? Which means I'm envious.

I joke about those things with my relatives. Those sayings and so many more have been a part of them all their lives, and so much of the time it is nothing more than a saying, and really does not have any hidden connotation.

Hello uglier than me, is really just a habit and a way of joking with one's friends.

There are books on "southern speak" which are funny, and some of the sayings are very localized.

Bill

Old 12-11-2007, 04:10 PM

133 posts, read 376,829 times
GoDaddy.com has offices in Scottsdale and Gilbert, AZ. For IT people there is Avnet, Arrow and lots of military contractors like Orbital Sciences, et al. Welcome to Arizona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area