Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times

Advertisements

It's perfection outside today, and yet we're almost in May! What a wonderful last cool hit before the beginning of summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

Maybe you'll be the lone different person in the valley but most people are stuck in-doors for the summer time and not out enjoying the heat. I've never seen people running around in convertibles in June, July and August and I think you're going to find the same thing. Convertibles are used the other 8-9 months of the year.
I have spoken with many people who think the same way I do, they can't wait for the heat and they love it. I won't be the only one outside enjoying the heat. These folks have also said "Oh yeah, people tell me all the time I won't want to be outside in the triple digits, but I love it!" or "when i first moved here I was warned about how brutal the heat was, and it was just fine". What is with the doom and gloom about the weather so many people move here for every single day? Makes no sense.

You say June-Sept. yet many say April to Oct. So far THIS April has yet to be hot at all IMO.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I have spoken with many people who think the same way I do, they can't wait for the heat and they love it. I won't be the only one outside enjoying the heat. These folks have also said "Oh yeah, people tell me all the time I won't want to be outside in the triple digits, but I love it!" or "when i first moved here I was warned about how brutal the heat was, and it was just fine". What is with the doom and gloom about the weather so many people move here for every single day? Makes no sense.

You say June-Sept. yet many say April to Oct. So far THIS April has yet to be hot at all IMO.
That was the point I was trying to make...99.9% of the people that move here for weather reasons are for the weather in the moderate months, they are not moving here for the extreme hot summer months. The heat of the summer is widely considered our biggest downfall when Phoenix is mentioned anywhere in the country, I've yet to hear it as a selling point to move here.

April is a great month and May and October are enjoyable as it cools down at night so there is some relief. I think you'll find the months where there is no cool down and it is still 90 degrees out when you leave for work at 7am is when the heat becomes taxing.

ETA: During the summer months my dogs stand at the door wanting to go outside and relieve themselves and as soon as I open the door and that heat hits them they stand there and won't move and have to be forced outside. Then they shoot over to the shaded lawn, do their business and RUN back to the door wanting back in.

Last edited by LBTRS; 04-27-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Quote:
I was miserable one day. Dramatic much? Wait...according to everyone else here the weather is unbearable for 8-9 months and nice for 3. Which is it? Hmmmm?

Can't wait for that baking heat. And neither can my dogs.
I agree. I am looking forward to the extreme heat. Spring seems to be dragging on and on this year and my allergies have been paying the price. I'm tired of these 85-95 degree days. I am looking forward to the heat burning everything off and being able to go outdoors with a mob of people everywhere. The heat seems to keep people huddled around their air conditioners, boxed up in their cars, or mobbing the Polar Pop machine at Circle K and out of my way.

People claim that summers in Phoenix are more comfortable than summers back east due to the lack of humidity, but then act like the summer is like a coming viral plague. We live in Phoenix. If you want cooler summers, you could literally live anywhere else in this country. If you want days like we had on Saturday, you could literally live anywhere else in the country and experience them. For the rest of us who have accepted that we live in one of the hottest and driest places in this country, who like summers, bring it on.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
It's perfection outside today, and yet we're almost in May! What a wonderful last cool hit before the beginning of summer.
We could have more "cool hits" to come. The long range models have some more "weather" about 10-14 days out. Hope is not lost until mid-June.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Ok, yard and patio all cleaned up again after the dust. Beautiful out there today, pool is looking inviting.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
I agree. I am looking forward to the extreme heat. Spring seems to be dragging on and on this year and my allergies have been paying the price. I'm tired of these 85-95 degree days. I am looking forward to the heat burning everything off and being able to go outdoors with a mob of people everywhere. The heat seems to keep people huddled around their air conditioners, boxed up in their cars, or mobbing the Polar Pop machine at Circle K and out of my way.

People claim that summers in Phoenix are more comfortable than summers back east due to the lack of humidity, but then act like the summer is like a coming viral plague. We live in Phoenix. If you want cooler summers, you could literally live anywhere else in this country. If you want days like we had on Saturday, you could literally live anywhere else in the country and experience them. For the rest of us who have accepted that we live in one of the hottest and driest places in this country, who like summers, bring it on.
Exactly. Everyone I have talked to moved here for the mild winter AND extreme heat! And they enjoy it!

[off topic]

Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
To each his own. I for one did not move here for the weather at all ... in fact, I'm a native who remains here for what I consider more essential reasons than weather/climate (my family, my job, my home). I find that the longer a person lives here, the more tired of the weather he/she becomes. Trust me, you're new here, so you don't know what I'm referring to yet. After 50 years, I think Phoenix's climate is mediocre at best: hot summers that linger on seemingly forever with no real break until October, constant dryness & lack of rain, and the drought that is resulting from all this. I look at the big picture.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 PM

487 posts, read 748,662 times
I'm likely not to have 50 years left here on Earth, so I'm thankful that I'll be moving there. I can tell you right now that I'm sick to death of the 50 that I've spent in the Chicago area with the snow and the cold though!

Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Exactly. Everyone I have talked to moved here for the mild winter AND extreme heat! And they enjoy it!

[off topic]
I think you and your acquaintances are a decided minority. I admit to wishing for heat when it is cold and dark in winter. But come July, it's like "what was I thinking?". Summer heat gets old more quickly than winter chill for me. Still, I guess I am rarely happy weather-wise. Phoenix, like most places has only a few weeks in fall and maybe spring where the weather, the hours of daylight etc, all come together to make it great. All in all the not-so-great part is probably better than the no-so-great part in most parts of the country, though. And there is always the ability to change one's weather in a couple hours drive. Take yesterday. 70s in PHX and several inches of snow 2 hours away. The humidity that drives most of us crazy in summer is truly refreshing as morning dew on the Mogollon Rim. That does make it special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area