Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 04:07 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,388 times

Advertisements

Hi-

I am taking a job near the 101 and Camelback, and my fiancee will be working in north Phoenix. As a result, we're looking to live somewhere in between.

I have heard good things about the Westgate, Arrowhead, and Desert Ridge areas, and am also curious about the area surrounding Pinnacle Peak, around 51st Avenue or so.

Can anyone tell me about those areas, where you'd recommend living, and why? We'd be particularly interested in nearby shops, bike trails, etc. as well as easy access to the 101 freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
I live about 2 miles from that area. 51st ave and Pinnacle Peak is a very nice area with larger homes and lots. Many have 1/2 to 1 acre lots. It's very pricey. $800k to over a million for most. There are walking trails right there as well. Our last American Idol (Jordin Sparks) lives in that neighborhood. Overall, it's very beautiful.

I would stick with the Arrowhead area as it's very much in the middle of both work places.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
I like the older neighborhoods in Arrowhead Ranch.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:52 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I like the older neighborhoods in Arrowhead Ranch.
I'm not too familiar where that is, can you give me an intersection?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:16 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
Generally 59th Ave to 75th Ave and Union Hills to Deer Valley Rd, some area's are nicer then others but also more expensive. By nicer, I mean bigger homes, bigger lots, etc...the whole area is nice and there are no pockets of "ghettoness".

My favorite area is between 67th Ave and 59th, the 101 Fwy to Deer Valley Rd, especially on Deer Valley Rd. Mature landscaping, large homes with circular driveways, front lawns, tree lined streets...a real nice area.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 PM

17 posts, read 78,417 times
Getting in and out of the west side is a pain on the 101 and that commute to the 101 and Camelback will take you well over an hour on the 101 parking lot (although part of the way you'll go opposite traffic) If I were you, I'd do the Desert Ridge area (but I've already said on other posts that 85254 is a great zip, and it borders DR).I have to say, I am not a huge fan of the west side, but strictly speaking I can concur with all of these posts. While ALL areas of PHX are hard hit by the recent housing correction - the west side's correction has been a little more intense. I'd also recommend buying a home that is a little older there (pre housing boom) as many of those homes were literally thrown up during the boom in an effort to capitalize. If you buy out there - get a GOOD Realtor who has worked through the boom and is still making a good living. Many people LOVE the west side, I still see it as the "ugly stepchild" of PHX. Good Luck!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:01 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
I think Desert Ridge is considered more the northeast part of 101.

Desert Ridge area is very very nice. Tons of shopping, restaurants, grocery stores, spas, movie theaters and that type of thing very close by--->Desert Ridge, Kierland, Promenade, Mayo, Airpark, even Paradise Valley Mall are all within a 10 minute or so give or take drive depending on traffic. Mayo Hospital is also right in Desert Ridge area. You can get the 101 at Tatum or Scottsdale Rd. Just a few miles to the 51 as well.

I don't think Desert Ridge is 85254? 85254 is Scottsdale. Desert Ridge and the areas west of Scottsdale Rd. are Phoenix, at least according to the Post Office. At Mayo and Scottsdale I am 85054. Tho 85254 is the immediately adjacent zip to Desert Ridge just a mile or few down Tatum, so either ZIP will put you in the same general area give or take a few miles.

This whole area from Desert Ridge all the way east over to Scottsdale Rd. is undergoing TONS of new construction, both housing and retail. A lot of it is vacant desert now, but is being torn up to house and entertain and otherwise occupy many thousands of people in the near future. Tho impact on traffic I am sure will not be positive.

If you want to google some intersections/distances in the area I am referring to to gauge your bearings:
-Tatum and the 101 or Tatum and Deer Valley (for both you could google Desert Ridge Marketplace and it would be that area)
-Mayo and Scottsdale
-Mayo Clinic
-Frank Lloyd Wright and Scottsdale (that is Promenade)
-Frank Lloyd Wright and Hayden or Frank Lloyd Wright and 101 (that is Airpark)
-Greenway and Scottsdale (that is Kierland)
-Tatum and Cactus (that is Paradise Valley Mall)

I live at about Mayo and Scottsdale Rd. About 4 miles directly east of Desert Ridge Marketplace. There is also an exit from the 101 at Mayo and Scottsdale Rd (or maybe it is called Mayo-not sure, I dont drive the freeway a lot).

I work on Camelback at Scottsdale Rd (by Fashion Square). and it is an easy commute straight down Scottsdale Rd. even in rush hour.

I havent done any exploring west of Tatum yet, so not familiar with that side of town at all.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM

268 posts, read 1,159,898 times
You did not say E Camelback or W Camelback, but I am assuming W Camelback because of the areas and neighborhoods that you are looking at. I am not very familiar with the west side of town, but I do know that they are building up the Westgate area with lots of new shopping and restaurants. I have friends who live in the Arrowhead area, and the neighborhoods are very nice with a very friendly family feel. The Desert Ridge area is also very nice and is a bit more centrally located with a straight shot down the 51 to the airport and downtown Phoenix area. It will also give you easier access to both West Valley and East Valley activities (so much more going on in the east side of town), but it is the furthest away from W Camelback and the 101.

BTW, E Camelback and the 101 technically do not intersect. E Camelback stops at Hayden with only local access from there to Pima Rd which is still just a little bit west of the 101.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,901 times
The NW valley of Phoenix is very nice and beautiful with lots of great neighborhoods and schools to choose from. Here's a link to a cool website that shows neighborhoods all around Phoenix: Arizona Neighborhoods Map

For NW valley neighborhoods with close access to 101, I recommend:
Arrowhead
Sierra Verde
Fletcher Heights
Rovey Farm Estates (more south than the above two, but nice location near Westgate and new stadium)

For NW valley neighborhoods that are just a little further from the 101 but worth the drive, I recommend:
Terramar
Sonoran Mountain Ranch
Westwing Mountain
Pleasant Valley
Vistancia
Subdivisions in Surprise (W rather than NW valley)
Palm Valley (also W rather than NW valley)

Someone said traffic on the 101 is a pain. We don't think so. We actually think it flows very well compared to other big cities.

Best wishes!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 10,545 times
Good luck with your move to the valley of the sun. there is so much outdoor activity to enjoy. Where i would direct you to live is going to be based on whether you look to rent of to buy or if you are looking single family home or condo/townhome/apartment units. But each of the area you mentioned are great and will continue to experience strong growth. I would be glad to try and provide more info based on the "direction" you are looking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area