Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM

421 posts, read 1,069,599 times

Advertisements

What should be the thermostat setting of office room provided its used only on weekends and it has a separate AC unit.... will it be sufficient to keep at 83-84f during weekdays? so the heat doesn't damage any electronics stuff or the furniture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 AM

9,685 posts, read 11,064,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
What should be the thermostat setting of office room provided its used only on weekends and it has a separate AC unit.... will it be sufficient to keep at 83-84f during weekdays? so the heat doesn't damage any electronics stuff or the furniture?
I'd put it at 90 degrees and sleep like a baby. 90 degrees with electronics is not even warm. The biggest problem is the lack of humidity with woods. To sleep even better, buy a large tote and fill it up with water to add humidity (close your office door so the humidity is contained). Close the container when you are in the office during the weekend when you are using the room. I'd then turn up the air to 95 degrees and not worry one bit. As a side note, I winter here. I will be turning off all air units (with over 20 totes full of water). I have the security system and cameras with hard drives working. No problems at all for the past three years.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 8,814 times
We set ours at about 82, but we also have a lot of electronic equipment that doesn't do well in the heat. During the work week, we keep it at 77 degrees.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:14 PM

12,915 posts, read 7,083,943 times
If you have a computer the power supply can get damaged and also the CPU fans will run at full speed when your not around they will burnout due to over work and the CPU will overheat. Security systems don't use any fans or large CPU's maybe they are just more robust who knows. I suggest 82-83 degrees or shut down the PC when your not home and then you don't need anything. I always suggest unattended PC's be shut down in the summer here unless you have a UPS attached we get summer storms and power bumps or outages can damage your data on your hard drive if it powers off at wrong time. You end up with a blue screen of death when you power back up.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 AM

397 posts, read 656,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
If you have a computer the power supply can get damaged and also the CPU fans will run at full speed when your not around they will burnout due to over work and the CPU will overheat. Security systems don't use any fans or large CPU's maybe they are just more robust who knows. I suggest 82-83 degrees or shut down the PC when your not home and then you don't need anything. I always suggest unattended PC's be shut down in the summer here unless you have a UPS attached we get summer storms and power bumps or outages can damage your data on your hard drive if it powers off at wrong time. You end up with a blue screen of death when you power back up.
I've been working with computers for over 30 years and build my own from parts all the time. Here's my .02:

1) Your power supply is the last thing you need to worry about with heat, #1 is your CPU, #2 is your hard drive. Room temperature heat on its own is nothing for a CPU thats normal operating range is 150-200 degrees. If your CPU is mostly idle if you are not using it then its not going to overheat no matter what your room temperature is. Also your CPU fan will not be going full speed unless its under heavy load.

2) High temperatures is the #1 killer of hard drives, the higher the operating temperature the shorter the life of your drive. Unfortunately many drives are positioned in a PC case to get not get much air flow. If you shove your PC in a confined area that limits airflow your hard drive will fail faster and you will lose data.

3) You don't need to shutdown a pc if you're not using it, again no usage, no heat. Use the OS power saving features to shutdown the monitor and drives after 1 hour of being idle, set sleep mode after 2 hours. In sleep mode your computers memory state is written to disk so it can safely shutdown.

4) A power outage will typically not damage an unattended PC, most applications these days will autosave and allow you to recover. If your PC is in sleep move you won't lose data as the memory state is already written to disk and can ge recovered. Use a surge protector to protect against power spikes.

5) A Windows BSOD is very rare these days, you will typically only see one caused by buggy hardware device drivers. Windows is designed to be more resilient and can easily recover from unexpected power disruptions without a BSOD.

6) In general you want to keep your PC as cool as possible just like you should change the oil in your care every 3,000 miles, but a little heat isn't all that bad. I have 6 computers, multiple monitors, storage devices, network switches and more in my home office that gets up to 88 degrees in the summer and I have no issues. Adequate ventilation is the key like I mentioned, don't shove your PC in a closed cubby and never completely enclose it with a door. Want to know how hot its getting and get alerts, there are a number of free apps that will allow you to monitor heat and fan speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area