Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Men convicted of drunken driving will don bright pink shirts and perform burials of people who died of alcohol abuse as part of a new chain gang in Phoenix.

Fifteen Maricopa County inmates will wear the shirts, which say “Sheriff D.U.I. Chain Gang” on the front and “Clean (ing) and Sober” on the back.

Sheriff's spokesman Capt. Paul Chagolla said the chain gang will be the first ever that's dedicated to one type of crime. The new chain gang is set to hit the streets of Phoenix Tuesday.

Chagolla said the chain gang will clean busy streets in full view of commuters and perform burials in indigent cemeteries where many died from alcohol abuse,

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ … 11-on.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 01:38 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,787 times
Love that Sheriff Joe!!!!

They should add a pink tutu to the outfit while they're at it....the more public humiliation the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I know someone back east who just got his SECOND DUI. He's 39 years old and works a great job and has kids - just stupid! I wish every state had a Sheriff Joe to deal with people like that.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I think its hilarious. I read that this morning and had a good chuckle. What they should also do is make them work the morgue, see the DUI victims (and the people they kill) firsthand as theyre wheeled in on stretchers. Maybe that will get them thinking a bit more.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:52 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,110,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Love that Sheriff Joe!!!!

They should add a pink tutu to the outfit while they're at it....the more public humiliation the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I know someone back east who just got his SECOND DUI. He's 39 years old and works a great job and has kids - just stupid! I wish every state had a Sheriff Joe to deal with people like that.
I used to be a fan of the guy and I did a 180 a couple of years ago. He is nothing but a publicity hound. do you really think he has done a good job? I am all for inmates picking up trash, cleaning up areas, etc. But, do you think for one minute that this will discourage anybody from drunk driving? Absolutely not. do you think some drunk who is leaving a bar tonight will remember seeing this story and decide not to drive? No, it is another publicity stunt...nothing more. We have more drunks driving then we ever have. This kind of stunt and chest thumping by the sheriff will have no impact on it at all.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:00 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
I am sure this will have some impact on some of the participants, but I wondered about the advisability of the participation in the burial services of alcohol victims. Perhaps if it is restricted to those indigent burials with no ceremony or family present it would be okay, but I would be outraged to have them present at a burial service of my friends or family that had died due to alcohol related crime. I might feel different about their presence at a burial of an alcoholic that died of abusing drink, but I don't have anyone like that in my circle of friends or family so I am still on the fence about that concept.

My bigger fear is that they will come in contact with someone grieving an alcohol related fatality and they might become the target of irrational anger directed toward them. It would be a shame if they were beaten or killed while wearing their highly publicized pink shirts. More of a shame that an innocent might be incited into such behavior by this publicity stunt.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
do you really think he has done a good job?

Yes, I do feel he has done a GREAT job

AND, so do a majority of the voters in Maricopa County

Old 12-11-2007, 03:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
do you think some drunk who is leaving a bar tonight will remember seeing this story and decide not to drive? No
That is until they get caught. Once those idiots get busted and have to do time, theyll forever think twice about doing it again, especially if someone they know happens to see their humiliation of cleaning up trash while wearing a pink shirt. Or maybe theyll snap once they have to bury victims, who knows? In any case, I think its funny that they have to suffer until theyre released. Serves them right.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
why are so many things that guys used to do now deemed criminal activities.
drinking. (driving or not) fighting. these are now conceived as criminal behavior.
have we outlawed manhood? i appreciate that you should not drink and drive and i dont drink, but did you know a skinny person that has had one only if he gets in car right after could flunk the alcohol test? its not even any more about moderation.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-11-2007 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-11-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
why are so many things that guys used to do now deemed criminal activities.
drinking. (driving or not) fighting. these are now conceived as criminal behavior.
Excuse me but, my wife and child were killed by a drunk driver -

Do you want me to tell you where you can take and shove your manhood?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That is until they get caught. Once those idiots get busted and have to do time, theyll forever think twice about doing it again, especially if someone they know happens to see their humiliation of cleaning up trash while wearing a pink shirt. Or maybe theyll snap once they have to bury victims, who knows? In any case, I think its funny that they have to suffer until theyre released. Serves them right.
There's no evidence this is the case. It's an oft stated assumption that the antics of this sadist reduce crime, but the crime statistics of the Valley proves otherwise. The place is more dangerous that ever despite the sheriff's "reforms."

But, the people out there will continue to elect that guy because, frankly, they don't care about statistics or reducing crime. They just want to feel like something is "being done" so the ignorant masses will continue to reelect Joe.

One purpose he does serve though is as a perfect representation of the sophistication level of the majority of the population there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area