Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 PM

72 posts, read 253,099 times

Advertisements

Value Options was/is owned by a pharmaceutical company.

VO tested Neurontin on COT patients and didn't get consent for them to be human guinea pigs. As of this date, Neurontin is still only approved by the FDA for seizures and now neuropathy. Back in 2002, it was only approved for seizures.

VO oversaw all aspects of the funding with the federal and state dollars from the RBHA contract and most people that needed a therapist eventually got a peer because of outside partnerships. RIAZ also works with Boston University and a few others.

Now you know why the system didn't get better over the past nine years. Greedy pharmaceutical companies!

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by sablebaby; 12-20-2007 at 11:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyJollymore View Post
I see that you mentioned losing four "therapists" at NOVA.

You didn't mention Recovery Innovations and Recovery Opportunity Center (formerly META) where recovery training and education programs go on, including the BHS 178 Peer Support Training (for college credit) is offered. You didn't mention WRAP (courtesy of Mary Ellen Copeland) or WELL (Courtesy of META).

Oh, you also forgot about the AA degree in Behavioral Health Sciences that you can get from RIAZ/ROC, in partnership with South Mountain Community College.

Then there is Recovery Empowerment Network...

Hmmm...wonder where the money is going? Oh, yes, for recovery programs!

Also, Magellan has already made the first reinvestment of profits back into the SMI population.
I'm not sure how to take your comments. I didn't "forget" anything, I was only talking about agencies that I have worked for.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I'm not sure how to take your comments. I didn't "forget" anything, I was only talking about agencies that I have worked for.
Not you personally...

JQP (John Q Public) is completely unaware of what is going on in behavioral health.

I named names and posted facts.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Having dealt with numerous SMMH patients during my law enforcement career, I would say your assessment is very polite and accurate. I would use more descriptive terms if asked.
Here's a descriptive term for one person with serious mental illness:

Gainfully employed elementary school teacher.

I am guessing you didn't have that descriptive term in mind???

Stereotyping can hurt.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 AM

I forgot to mention that one can get META credentialing.

It is kinda like the "good housekeeping seal" but it is for behavioral health.

I'd highly recommend it regardless of whether you go agency or you go private practice.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 PM

38 posts, read 127,142 times
Default Health Insurance/Benefits

So sablebaby,

I am also curious about health insurance in the social services field. Some companies list on their website which insurance they have for their employees and other's do not. I've been impressed with the extensive list of benefits listed by most every company and was intrigued by the "pet insurance" I've seen listed at just about everyone's website. I've never heard of employers offering it! I also read on one site that they offer a special program at Desert Schools Credit Union for their employees - but am not sure what that it could be exactly - I've read that anyone living in or working in Maricopa County can qualify? They seem to have the best reviews of all of the banks in the area.

Anyway, just curious about your thoughts on health insurance in terms of what companies you think are the best and if prescription coverage is included? Some list it separate and some don't mention it at all. Until we get a good Universal Health Care System going in all states (Massachussettes has one and California appears to have one in the works) - health insurance is very important, as I'm sure you'll agree. I know too many people who had to file for bankruptcy due to medical bills they simply could not pay.

Lastly, anything you can add regarding benefits in general would be helpful, and I wonder if it is as good as they are saying?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM

38 posts, read 127,142 times
Default Meta Credentialling

HollyJollymore,

I'm not familiar with Meta Credentialling, can you tell me more about it? I tried to google it but not much came up - in fact your entry popped up first!

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels385 View Post
So sablebaby,

I am also curious about health insurance in the social services field. Some companies list on their website which insurance they have for their employees and other's do not. I've been impressed with the extensive list of benefits listed by most every company and was intrigued by the "pet insurance" I've seen listed at just about everyone's website. I've never heard of employers offering it! I also read on one site that they offer a special program at Desert Schools Credit Union for their employees - but am not sure what that it could be exactly - I've read that anyone living in or working in Maricopa County can qualify? They seem to have the best reviews of all of the banks in the area.

Anyway, just curious about your thoughts on health insurance in terms of what companies you think are the best and if prescription coverage is included? Some list it separate and some don't mention it at all. Until we get a good Universal Health Care System going in all states (Massachussettes has one and California appears to have one in the works) - health insurance is very important, as I'm sure you'll agree. I know too many people who had to file for bankruptcy due to medical bills they simply could not pay.

Lastly, anything you can add regarding benefits in general would be helpful, and I wonder if it is as good as they are saying?

Thanks and Happy New Year.
If you simply have a pulse, you can get a Desert Schools account. As for loans, I have never heard anyone say anything BAD about terms, etc. It has been a long, long time since I have looked at a Desert Schools flyer (and hubby works for a major bank, so no worries...)

Pet insurance is offered through many places and can be handy.

RIAZ (Recovery Innovations) has decent benefits from what I've been told. I believe Magellan does, too. But like I said, there will be five networks and eventually Magellan will only oversee the funding.

There is a fairly new agency on Peoria in Glendale. I think that place's name starts with an A (Aurora???) and when I called for a specific service that they allegedly offered, it felt like the blind leading the blind. Then again, when you are new, it can sometimes be challenging if you are adding services and the left hand doesn't communicate with the right.

If it were me, I would take a risk with Magellan, knowing that they are transitioning and put yourself in the position to definitely have good, steady income with benefits while scoping out the different agencies in the five networks.

I can't think of a single agency that doesn't deal with SMI on at least some level.

Jewish Family & Children's Services has been around for quite a long time if you are looking for more stable and they have locations throughout the valley.

Good luck with the job search here in the Phoenix area.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:54 PM

http://www.recoveryinnovations.org/

There ya' go!

FYI, they may need classroom instructors in the various aspects of behavioral health and recovery and it is a change of pace, but also is a community college job that can help one move up the food chain of life.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels385 View Post
HollyJollymore,

I'm not familiar with Meta Credentialling, can you tell me more about it? I tried to google it but not much came up - in fact your entry popped up first!

Thanks.
Hehehe! I googled it just to see what you got and just about giggled that it was a direct link back to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area