Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2014, 09:09 PM

563 posts, read 1,786,683 times

Advertisements

Like many here, we have a one story home of which half has a flat roof. All of our coax/cable lines start from the COX box near the meter, go up the outside of the house, run along the top of the wall where the eave is, all the way around the outside of the house till it reaches its room, then drops down, and into a hole in the wall.

It looks ugly and I want to fix it.

I have two thoughts:
  • let it run along the outside of the house, under the eave, but have it run through 1" PVC, and paint the PVC the color of the outside of the house.
  • Run it straight up, over the eave, to the top of the house, run across the roofs, and drop down where it is needed. The only difference here is, you'll see a cable run over the eave that is jutted out about a foot.
Running inside/through the house is not an option, we do not have any attic space.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Many services (including COX) are offering a cable service that goes to a single 6 tuner DVR. The connections inside the house can be wireless. At this stage in TV development, to go through all that trouble to run new coax may not be worth it.

I just spent a lot of time ripping up hundreds of feet of coaxial cable. Mostly I wanted to replace the older thinner coaxial with thicker stuff as it should handle the MoCa better.

It was a real pain. Every little thing that you think was not going to be a problem, ended up being annoying as hell.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 PM

397 posts, read 659,396 times
Cable run along the exterior is going to take a beating from the heat and impact your reception, had the cable guy here yesterday tell me that. If your cable wire is black its going to be even worse. Inside pvc might help but thats still going to be butt ugly running along your house. Not having an attic to fish wires makes it difficult, I'd try to go wireless as much as possible, otherwise try burying it with pvc if you can.

Signal vs Temperature, for Cable Techs - Comcast HSI | DSLReports Forums

Wireless Cable TV Extender questions

Old 05-18-2014, 12:42 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
If you get outdoor cable the sun will not cause any problems with the cable. I painted my cable so it didn't stand out as much. WiFI can be a Pita so I would just run the cable under the eave if you use PVC and it's exposed to the sun make sure you paint it or the sun will eat it up.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:10 PM

563 posts, read 1,786,683 times
I have outdoor rated cable, and have to run at least one line into the house. Those wireless dvr units are definitely attractive, but they get pricey after the free trial runs out. COX is already expensive as it is with one HD DVR, I can't imagine what it would be like with two of them. DirecTV is my other option, but I think their fees are just as expensive after the first 12 or 24 months.

Anyways, a single line, I may run over the top of the house, and if I don't like it, then will run under the eaves, all around the house. Either way, it will not look good, there will be a line running down the wall to where the outlet is, if I can poke a new hole at the top, then I can fish it down to the bottom.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:22 PM

397 posts, read 659,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Many services (including COX) are offering a cable service that goes to a single 6 tuner DVR. The connections inside the house can be wireless. At this stage in TV development, to go through all that trouble to run new coax may not be worth it.

I just spent a lot of time ripping up hundreds of feet of coaxial cable. Mostly I wanted to replace the older thinner coaxial with thicker stuff as it should handle the MoCa better.

It was a real pain. Every little thing that you think was not going to be a problem, ended up being annoying as hell.
Are you sure the Cox 6 tuner can support wireless connections to client boxes? Everything I have read is that they network together over the coaxial cable network. The specs for the box do not include any kind of wifi adapter.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...lti-screen.pdf

I have one and I love it, I use it standalone without any client boxes. I record everything to watch later and occasionally have 3 shows at once recording. Also the huge 2TB drive gives tons of spacefor HD recordings, I probably have at least 100 hours of recordings on mine. And its only 35% full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area