Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,418,323 times

Advertisements

Now you blame "other towns" Ponderosa... that is not fair, you messed up, and you are the one to blame.
I drive a semi OTR, also did drive in most countries in Europe, and never found myself in the wrong lane......
Just paying attention. And never be in a hurry. When you are in a hurry, you left too late.....

In my experience, Friday and Saturday night are the 2 nights with most drunks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,293,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I've had two drunks total as many of my vehicles in the ten years that I've lived here; both of the inebriated drivers were American...

Vehicles can be replaced even though it cost me dearly...(trying to get money out of poor folks is like trying to get blood from a rock.....not worth the effort, eh?)

And the other guy was a drunk sailor that slammed into me. He was on his way to get more beer.

I guess they didn't have basic liability insurance. Your insurance didn't pick up the cost minus deductible?

This is just awful.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:47 PM

39,003 posts, read 50,987,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Now you blame "other towns" Ponderosa... that is not fair, you messed up, and you are the one to blame.
I drive a semi OTR, also did drive in most countries in Europe, and never found myself in the wrong lane......
Just paying attention. And never be in a hurry. When you are in a hurry, you left too late.....

In my experience, Friday and Saturday night are the 2 nights with most drunks.
I am a terribly impatient driver. It is my one flaw. I also have done my share of DUI back in the day, though never a wrong way. I do remember getting lost on the way back from the tavern one night in an area that I am very, very familiar with under normal circumstances. So I get it how someone can go the wrong way like that. I don't really have an answer for it, though. I am no longer a DUI threat, but the lack of patience seems to get worse with the years.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:14 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,433,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Someone up thread suggested that maybe the sign should be in Spanish and you came with the common response that they ought to learn our language and custom and be good citizens just like we are when we travel. Like I said, they are not. They drink and drive, can't speak or read English, and don't know how to operate a car in at all much less in a huge American city. Maybe licensing them and providing international standardized signage on our roads would save a few lives.
Signs in Spanish or 54 languages does no good if someone is wasted or not paying attention doing...(insert whatever distracting behavior fits here) which I think we all agree causes most accidents. Hence, my wise guy/tongue in cheek response that signs should be in many languages. And too assume Spanish signs will do anything......lots of citizens of this country who read English just fine have also been known to cause just a few serious accidents also(sarcasm again to make my point).

Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 PM
YAZ YAZ started this thread

7,700 posts, read 14,033,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I guess they didn't have basic liability insurance. Your insurance didn't pick up the cost minus deductible?

This is just awful.
Unfortunately, AZ law requires us to have a minimum coverage of $10k for others' property. That's not much to cover another person's new vehicle, eh?

Need "underinsured" coverage to pick up the rest.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:40 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,617,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Too easy to enter the wrong way. I can easily see how a drunk/high/old/tired driver can enter the wrong direction at Gilbert and the 202. Who puts an exit and on ramp next to each other? Tire Spikes are needed
No, it's really not easy to do. You REALLY have to be stupid to drive the wrong way down the freeway here. One benefit to us having a newer freeway system is that a lot of roads are design to more modern standards than you'll find in most other major metropolitan areas. That means most freeway interchanges have the diamond design and don't require drivers to use a cloverleaf or some other outdated, unsafe method to enter/exit freeways. Go to California where there are 1001 different types of interchange designs or back east somewhere and then tell me how difficult it is to drive here. Just look at the signs, follow other cars, use common sense, and put the bottle down hours before you plan to get behind the wheel. If anyone finds it challenging to know what side of the street/freeway they should be driving on, they need to stuff their license back into a box of Corn Flakes and return it to Fry's. ADOT and local jurisdictions can't possibly make the street/freeway network any simpler than it already is.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:43 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,667,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
No, it's really not easy to do. You REALLY have to be stupid to drive the wrong way down the freeway here. One benefit to us having a newer freeway system is that a lot of roads are design to more modern standards than you'll find in most other major metropolitan areas. That means most freeway interchanges have the diamond design and don't require drivers to use a cloverleaf or some other outdated, unsafe method to enter/exit freeways. Still, people complain. Look at the signs, follow other cars, and use common sense. If anyone finds it challenging to know what side of the street/freeway they should be driving on, they need to stuff their license back into a box of Corn Flakes and return it to Fry's. ADOT and local jurisdictions can't possibly make the street/freeway network any simpler than it already is.

This. The people who struggle with the roads here would get killed off elsewhere. The roadway's are incredibly straightforward and simple. I shudder to think what some of these folks would do out near Austin, Texas where they have suicide lanes that have traffic coming into and off the freeway at basically the same juncture point,meaning you have to pay darn close attention to your surroundings or else you'll end up a smashed metallic sandwich in the middle of the road.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 AM

39,003 posts, read 50,987,327 times
Stay out of the left lanes after midnite - especially on curves where you can't see the road ahead.. Almost all of these wrong-way head-ons are drunks leaving bars. They drive down the road on what is their right side.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think booze mostly. There was a cop on TV being interviewed yesterday and he stated that the vast majority of wrong way calls end up being over by the time the cops get there. The person realizes their mistake and cuts across a median or in some way turns around. I have to admit having done this once myself on a freeway and several times on one way streets - always in other towns where I was not familiar with things and being impatient/feeling rushed. But in the cases this week, these guys drove for MILES the wrong way before hitting anyone. It is just amazing that they could not figure that out. That is booze.

There has been no information yet as to intoxication in the second and third incidents. I agree it is very likely, (more so in the second than the third) but let's wait and see what the tests show.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:31 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,240,728 times
On the 101 yesterday, heading west, as the sun was setting, I noticed the reflectors on the road between lanes are red if you are going the wrong way. (No I wasn't going the wrong way, I noticed this in my rear view mirror from the sunlight hitting them. A drunk person might not pay any mind to red lane markers, but wouldn't someone who is just confused notice this? Or is it too subtle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area