Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
My hands are plenty moist, thank you very much. And the cost of lotion can hardly compare to your cost of heating. And no, I don't need humidity or darn fog like today to mess up my hair.
And my cost of heating can hardly compare to your obnoxious cost of A/C. Enjoy!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 AM

10,949 posts, read 1,308,296 times
That's right.I don't like the Winter were having right now either.I sure miss our warm weather.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hardly. I like it warm - A/C is at 80 most of the time.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:42 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
I love the heat........warmth..........oceans to be swimming in.
But.........I do love a snowstorm just before Christmas. Nothing like Snow at Christmas.
Your banter above is so cute and funny........it was worth coming to start my day with a lot of giggles.......... Sledding is fun.......alright.....I'll take one month of snow, that sounds good.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Not sure what your form of heat is but the family I have back east is using fuel oil and their cost to heat a house half the size of mine is almost twice what my A/C bill is.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 AM

338 posts, read 1,624,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
Sorry but I'll take 110 for 2 months than lose power and have the interstate shut down! Both extreme cold and heat is uncomfortable. The difference, however is that extreme heat doesn't disrupt your lifestyle. Appreciate what you have here!
I agree. I was thinking that as I was driving into work this morning. I had a minor inconvenience with my windows being fogged up, that's IT! I am so happy that I live here. I have been here since I was a child so I have never driven in the ice or snow and I do not want anything to do with that. The extended heat does get on my nerves but it does not disrupt my lifestyle so I can deal with it.

I don't know though about heating vs. cooling..... my AC bills are pretty high!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:56 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
The next time you guys want to complain about the heat, maybe you check out what's going on in Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas. The snow and ice has caused power outages that will last for weeks in some areas. Many of the roads have been closed. Sorry but I'll take 110 for 2 months than lose power and have the interstate shut down! Both extreme cold and heat is uncomfortable. The difference, however is that extreme heat doesn't disrupt your lifestyle. There are no power outages or highways being shut down because of the extreme heat. I'm not shoveling heat off my windshield nor do I have to start my car 15 minutes early just to leave. My colleague at work has a son who attends college in Kansas. They are from the valley and her son grew up here and complained about the heat. She said that her son will never complain about the summers in Arizona again after what he has experienced there.

Appreciate what you have here!
You're echoing the same sentiment I echoed 11 years ago when I decided to move back to Phoenix. I got a job offer from a company just outside of Portland and I moved there in October of 1995, I figured the "cooler" rainy climate would be a good change, boy was I wrong! Rain didn't bother me too much, it was what happens when that rain turns to ice. In November of 1996, I was stuck on an icy road, after an ice and a snow storm, power in my apartment had been out for 3 days, no heat in my apartment, and I couldn't take showers, I had to go to the office to do that. It was on that day in late November when I figured, "110 degrees in July wasn't so bad afterall".

Moved back to my native state in February of 1997.

I guess those "tree huggers" over there care more about keeping trees close to power lines, than people having to deal with power outages! Tree roots over there don't dig into the ground too deep, so the slightest extra weight of snow, ice, along with wind into the mix, will topple trees over and knock down power lines.

There's nothing wrong with trees, just keep them as far away from power lines as possible!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Not sure what your form of heat is but the family I have back east is using fuel oil and their cost to heat a house half the size of mine is almost twice what my A/C bill is.
I dont know anyone who uses fuel oil, thats weird. Our heat bill every month in winter averages $45-50. We keep it at 72 degrees in winter and the A/C at 74 in summer. A/C bills are about the same as heating bills, plus or minus a few bucks. Ahhh, the joy of only having to turn the A/C on a few times a year.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:19 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
We can, and probably will, argue all day which is worse heat or cold but it all comes down to preference. For every point against heat you can find an opposite point against the cold. I grew up in upstate NY and remember spending a large portion of winters indoors just as some kids do in summer here. Sure the first couple of snow storms were fun. We always looked forward to getting out and sledding but you can only stay out so long before you are wet and chilled to the bone. After a while board games in front of a fire were more fun (no video games back then for me).

As far as AZ shutting down when it snows, that only occurs in areas that rarely see snow. Flagstaff and the White Mountains have received large amounts of snow the last couple of days and are functioning fine. If you didn't have snow removal equipment you would be shut down too.
Yep, he's right!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:41 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
I love this weather!!! It is such a refreshing change from the way too warm, hot, very hot, and brutally hot weather we usually have. And no sun! What a delight!! Besides, this is December and I can not get into the holiday spirit without some winter-like weather. NOW it feels like it is almost Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area