U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 24,525,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats it, now Ive had it.

Youre makin me hungry.
Hey - I have not even started talking about the fresh drawn butter, the corn and red potatos!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:31 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,287,494 times
Why bicker over heat or cold? As long as everyone is happy where they are and enjoying the type of weather they like, then everyone is right.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:34 PM

19,663 posts, read 51,231,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Hey - I have not even started talking about the fresh drawn butter, the corn and red potatos!!!
You better not!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:55 PM

44 posts, read 107,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
The difference, however is that extreme heat doesn't disrupt your lifestyle. There are no power outages or highways being shut down because of the extreme heat. I'm not shoveling heat off my windshield nor do I have to start my car 15 minutes early just to leave.
I'll openly admit I hate Arizona, and hated every dry stinking monotonous second I lived there. Even though it was obnoxiously sunny ever day, I refer to it as "The Dark Ages."

"extreme heat doesn't disrupt your lifestyle." Are you kidding????

"I'm not shoveling heat off my windshield nor do I have to start my car 15 minutes early just to leave."

But you DO have to start your car and let the interior COOL DOWN before you can touch anything! You won't likely get stuck in the SNOW in the flatlands of AZ, but cars DO overheat, in extreme heat, and then you're as good as snowbound!

I vividly recall signs on the highways warning to TURN OFF AIR CONDITIONING to AVOID OVERHEATING. Naturally, that meant Summer. I also remember driving on 87, at 112 degrees, with the AC off, thinking we were just going to die, and they'd just find mummies in a car full of hot dust.

I have a friend who still lives in AZ, Sun City to be exact, God help the poor thing! When I was there in January, his neighbors were talking about how they go back East in the Summer, once it hits 100, and he blurts out, like a robot, "WELL AT LEAST YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOVEL IT!!"

When this poor bastard lived in the East, he lived in a trailer park, AND HAD A SNOW BLOWER!!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 PM

19,663 posts, read 51,231,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Harrington View Post
I also remember driving on 87, at 112 degrees, with the AC off, thinking we were just going to die, and they'd just find mummies in a car full of hot dust
I did that for a week in June. lol But the thing was, it wasnt 112. It was 116. I know the feeling. Its horrid, pure hell, the hottest thing Ive ever felt or probably will ever feel this side of a blowtorch. I remember driving down, er up, Tatum and it was 115 degrees. My brother and I were soaked in sweat from head to toe and just laughing at how retarded we were for bringing his non-air conditioned truck on the trip. lol At one point he went to light a cigarette and pushed in his cigarette lighter. A second later he disengaged the lighter and said "ah, what the hell do I need that for, its easier to do it this way!" As he said that he put his head out the window hoping the air would light the cigarette for him. hahahahahaha What a knucklehead. But hey, I tried to warn him not to go to AZ in the summer, but noooooooo. "It wont be bad" he says. "Weve hiked in hot weather before" he says. Come the 2nd day of the trip all he wanted to do was die. hahaha

Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 PM

43,134 posts, read 20,081,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm a lifelong resident of Arizona / the Valley. I am looking forward to seasons.

Retirement will mean, summers in Sitka, Alaska and winters here in the Valley.

Ah, cool summers - putting out lobster traps and cooking that fresh fish just caught -

Ah, life is good!
I went into an air-conditioned Red Lobster during the summer one time here in Phoenix, and tried to catch one of those lobsters they had in the tank, but they threw me out of the place.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 PM

43,134 posts, read 20,081,044 times
Quote:
I did that for a week in June. lol But the thing was, it wasnt 112. It was 116. I know the feeling. Its horrid, pure hell, the hottest thing Ive ever felt or probably will ever feel this side of a blowtorch. I remember driving down, er up, Tatum and it was 115 degrees. My brother and I were soaked in sweat from head to toe and just laughing at how retarded we were for bringing his non-air conditioned truck on the trip. lol At one point he went to light a cigarette and pushed in his cigarette lighter. A second later he disengaged the lighter and said "ah, what the hell do I need that for, its easier to do it this way!" As he said that he put his head out the window hoping the air would light the cigarette for him. hahahahahaha What a knucklehead. But hey, I tried to warn him not to go to AZ in the summer, but noooooooo. "It wont be bad" he says. "Weve hiked in hot weather before" he says. Come the 2nd day of the trip all he wanted to do was die. hahaha
But remember, it's a dry heat!

Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 PM

124 posts, read 284,063 times
Quote:
What has happened there was extreme, by all means NOT a daily occurence like the extreme heat in AZ, you need to remember that.

And extreme heat "doesnt disrupt lifestyle"? Tell that to the thousands of kids who have to stay indoors most of the day in summer because its too hot. Tell that to the thousands of AZ skin cancer victims who need to have surgery or hospital stays. Or just wait until you lose power in mid-June and have to deal with an un-airconditioned house for a day or two, youll re-think what you just wrote. With AZ's population explosion, sooner or later youll experience brownouts like CA too, which are supremely sucky. And during our ice storms we had here the last few days, it didnt disrupt a single thing, except make the driving a little slower for a few hours. Today things are perfectly normal, like nothing ever happened. And unlike the rest of the country, we're not ******* and run and hide from snowfall. Youd swear the world was ending in AZ or GA or SC when snow is forecasted. "SHUT DOWN THE SCHOOLS!!! CLOSE THE BUSINESSES!!! BUY SUPPLIES FROM THE STORE!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVESSSSSSS!!!!" Wimps.

Actually, you are wrong. I'm from that area. And every winter, we had at least 1 day in which we lost power due to a storm. This is different because it's been prolonged. Nonetheless, we used to regularly have the interstate shut down for 3-4 hours at a time. That's a common occurrence there. And starting your car 15 minutes early is not unique either during the winter. I could have listed far more examples but I assumed they were intuitive but judging by your response, I realize many people like yourself are uninformed about what it is truly like to live in a cold weather state.

People in those states also stay indoors during the heat when it approaches 99-100 degrees. If you were eduated, you would understand that skin cancer has a lot do with an individual's genetics and not just exposure to sun. And since you are on the topic of diseases, do we really need to discuss all of the pathologies, symptoms and syndromes associated with or exacerbated by cold weather? This is far different; we are talking blocks and thousands of homes losing power. Why do you think HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS with Rheumatoid Arthritis and arthropathies live here? Or how about the hundreds of thousands (both elderly and children) that suffer from reactive airway disease that live here to avoid that. I can provide you with far more examples of cold related pathology than skin cancer so don't go that route, you will lose that argument quickly. Yes, I can lose power in mid-June and then go to the mall, my friends home in a car in which I can ACTUALLY DRIVE ON THE ROAD BECAUSE ITS NOT CLOSED DUE TO ICE OR SNOW! Losing power for 1 or 2 days...right...try 1-2 hours and people in cold weather states will lose it for a week. And the difference is that losing power doesn't affect a large segment for weeks. The only time I've heard people losing power for 1-2 day in Phoenix s is usually in some poor rundown part of the city or outskirt in which a street or a block will affected at the most. Their problems are not due to weather as much as it is to having faulty wiring or poor infrastructure. The fact that you would compare some random house losing power for 2 days in mid-June to what's going there is ridiculous

Last edited by cxray; 12-12-2007 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM

124 posts, read 284,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
We can, and probably will, argue all day which is worse heat or cold but it all comes down to preference. For every point against heat you can find an opposite point against the cold. I grew up in upstate NY and remember spending a large portion of winters indoors just as some kids do in summer here. Sure the first couple of snow storms were fun. We always looked forward to getting out and sledding but you can only stay out so long before you are wet and chilled to the bone. After a while board games in front of a fire were more fun (no video games back then for me).

As far as AZ shutting down when it snows, that only occurs in areas that rarely see snow. Flagstaff and the White Mountains have received large amounts of snow the last couple of days and are functioning fine. If you didn't have snow removal equipment you would be shut down too.
I agree that you can't argue as to which is better in regards to personal preference. Some people will always prefer the feel of extreme cold or heat. However, what you can't argue with is the fact that cold disrupts your lifestyle much more than extreme heat. As annoying as the heat is here, the highways are not shut down nor is the airport. You will never see an Airplane skid off the tarmac and kill a child in a car on the freeway due the heat as what occurred in Chicago. You don't have to start your car 15 minutes early. People can lose limbs due to frostbite in a matter of minutes but people do not suffer from heatstroke for being outside for the same amount of time. You do not see deaths on the streets due to cars sliding into one another due to ice and sleet which is a regular occurrence in winter weather. You don't have to worry about your car door being sealed shut due to cold. You don't see large machines salting the streets or snow removal vehicles having to arrive early and clear the streets which increases traffic. . You don't worry about your car engine being ruined by the cold being so affected that your car won't start even with the battery intact. In AZ, the heat might make your battery wear out earlier but it doesn't affect the infrastructure of your engine or chasis the way that cold does. Yes, as kids, we used to love the snow days but the adults had a much different impression. Many businesses were forced to close and thus businesses would loses millions of dollars in lost revenue to due customers being absent due to the weather.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM

845 posts, read 1,207,650 times
I've lived here in the valley since 1983 and just love it here! I know I'm bit strange, but I love the summer here! I love to feel the sun on your skin when you first get out of the air conditioned building. I always say "Ahhhh, Solar power" and my kids think I'm a nut. Compare to where I come from (Japan) where it had lots of cloudy days and rainy days. It was so humid and you just felt dirty. I used to get headaches all the time. Although it's nice to have a break from your A/C bills, I already miss Summer... My hubby is in N. California on the job now and he can't wait to get back to AZ either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area