U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:41 PM

15,194 posts, read 20,727,374 times
I can not handle temperatures above 90F very well. However, I live east of the Rockies and the humidity is a much bigger factor in the summer. Dry heat does not bother me as much as the heat and humidity combined. However, I would take a snowstorm over 110F any day of the week!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:07 PM

430 posts, read 935,072 times
Default right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
Extreme heat cause wild fires, heat stroke... Also dust storms which happens in the heat peroid I believe.
poses just as much danger as extreme cold can. That is what we deal with here in Phoenix each and every year, extreme heat, Most anywhere else don't have to live in the high temps we do for such an extended period of time, how much of the country lives with extreme cold for 5 months? those people have it as rough as we do, I am done with this topic

Old 12-13-2007, 05:50 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,991,605 times
As another poster pointed out: the cold weather can make arthritis sufferers hurt even more, etc.

I, too, have porcelain white skin and, needless to say.......I am not a sun worshipper either. By rights I should love cold, nasty dreary overcast days--------NOT!

For those folks who like 4 season climates (Weather Zone 7 on down); they have every right in the world to live there and be happy.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:10 AM

16,904 posts, read 19,978,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
poses just as much danger as extreme cold can. That is what we deal with here in Phoenix each and every year, extreme heat, Most anywhere else don't have to live in the high temps we do for such an extended period of time, how much of the country lives with extreme cold for 5 months? those people have it as rough as we do, I am done with this topic
No way heat is as dangerous as cold. Humans, even white ones, are better suited to hot temps than cold. To survive heat you need two things - water and shade. I have camped for days and days in the desert without ac. No one will die from our 110 temps if they drink enough water. To survive cold you must have man-made environmental modifications - heavy clothing or shelter - maybe even a source of heat for long-term. You simply can not sit under a birch tree in 10 degree weather with no jacket and survive for long. You can sit under a mesquite tree in the AZ desert and survive as long as your water holds out. Humanity moved from the deserts to the cold nether regions only after developing sophisticated ways of altering the environment.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM

19,200 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I lived in Cleveland when we had our I think all timer record high, maybe 15 years or so ago, maybe more (I remember my son was a baby). It was either 102' or 104'. With about 95% humidity
BS. That doesnt happen!!!!!!!!! Im sooooo tired of reading garbage like that. Unbelievable. 102 degrees with 95% humidity? WHO ARE YOU KIDDING (besides yourself)?!?!?!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:36 AM
RCR

259 posts, read 525,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
cxray i don't swim during the day in the summer, only maybe mornings until 11 or evenings after 6pm. i find it very uncomfortable to be outside in the summer between 11 and 6. i'm fair skinned and i hate slathering on sun screen every hour so i feel like a prisoner in my house all summer. in wisconsin i only needed to throw on an extra sweater to instantly warm up or put on my fuzzy slippers or feeted pjs or light a fire in the fireplace. or put on one of my many winter coats!! and i don't want to have to drive to find a variety of weather, i want it to come to me seasonally
Funny, you talk about how uncomfortable it is to be outside here in the summer yet the things you like in Wisconsin involve staying indoors; That is unless you walk around outside in your fuzzy slippers or feeted pjs.

As I said in an earlier post and will say again it all comes down to preference. Some people think it is easier to add layers of clothes to stay warm. Me, I prefer less clothes, and more importantly seeing others in less clothes, to stay cool... Although having said that, I realize that can warm me up..
Oh well, you get the idea....

Old 12-13-2007, 09:37 AM

19,200 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
Actually, you are wrong. I'm from that area. And every winter, we had at least 1 day in which we lost power due to a storm. This is different because it's been prolonged. Nonetheless, we used to regularly have the interstate shut down for 3-4 hours at a time. That's a common occurrence there. And starting your car 15 minutes early is not unique either during the winter. I could have listed far more examples but I assumed they were intuitive but judging by your response, I realize many people like yourself are uninformed about what it is truly like to live in a cold weather state.

People in those states also stay indoors during the heat when it approaches 99-100 degrees. If you were eduated, you would understand that skin cancer has a lot do with an individual's genetics and not just exposure to sun. And since you are on the topic of diseases, do we really need to discuss all of the pathologies, symptoms and syndromes associated with or exacerbated by cold weather? This is far different; we are talking blocks and thousands of homes losing power. Why do you think HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS with Rheumatoid Arthritis and arthropathies live here? Or how about the hundreds of thousands (both elderly and children) that suffer from reactive airway disease that live here to avoid that. I can provide you with far more examples of cold related pathology than skin cancer so don't go that route, you will lose that argument quickly. Yes, I can lose power in mid-June and then go to the mall, my friends home in a car in which I can ACTUALLY DRIVE ON THE ROAD BECAUSE ITS NOT CLOSED DUE TO ICE OR SNOW! Losing power for 1 or 2 days...right...try 1-2 hours and people in cold weather states will lose it for a week. And the difference is that losing power doesn't affect a large segment for weeks. The only time I've heard people losing power for 1-2 day in Phoenix s is usually in some poor rundown part of the city or outskirt in which a street or a block will affected at the most. Their problems are not due to weather as much as it is to having faulty wiring or poor infrastructure. The fact that you would compare some random house losing power for 2 days in mid-June to what's going there is ridiculous
You, sir, are forgetting I live in CHICAGOLAND, Ive been here 30 years. Dont give me that BS that I dont know what its like. Really, what a retarded thing to say. In the 30 years Ive been here, we've lost power TWICE from ice storms. We just had the worst ice storm I can remember and didnt lose power for even a split second. Roads are fine, highways were fine (and this was after being subjected to 2 days of ice storms)! I dont know where the heck you lived when you lived up here, but it sure as hell aint that bad here. Ice storms are rare here, believe it or not. And if you actually knew anything about the area, youd agree. Talking about being "educated", perhaps you should educate yourself first. And who the hell runs their car for 15 minutes? I do mine maybe 2-3 minutes, just enough to get some heat going, same goes for everyone else I know. Yes, people here do mostly stay indoors when it approaches 100 degrees, but that only happens once, maybe twice a year. Oooooh. Call me again when you actually know something about the area. To me it sounds like you never even lived here in the first place.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:48 AM

3,632 posts, read 10,870,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
I'm suprised that asking people to appreciate weather in their own home city is stirring things up???
You haven't been around very long then. My thought the minute I read this thread was that you were trolling. Yes, this is what happens when these topics are discussed. Everyone has an opinion and they are strong willed people. It always goes this way, always.

If it doesn't pick up in a positive tone it will be closed. These are ridiculous topics to get all worked about and we are less than 2 weeks away from christmas. Come on people.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 AM

647 posts, read 2,311,397 times
What I REALLY hate is sunny, balmy spring days with a high of about 80. Seriously! That sucks! Give me extreme heat or extreme cold any day!!!

Just trying to switch things up a little from the usual "Heat sucks! No, cold sucks!" disagreement....

So.....anyone else with me in my hatred of moderate weather????

Old 12-13-2007, 11:06 AM

7,388 posts, read 14,148,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I dont know anyone who uses fuel oil, thats weird. Our heat bill every month in winter averages $45-50. We keep it at 72 degrees in winter and the A/C at 74 in summer. A/C bills are about the same as heating bills, plus or minus a few bucks. Ahhh, the joy of only having to turn the A/C on a few times a year.
Fuel oil is predominately an upper East Cost thing. It is more diesel like instead of oil, but it is known as heating oil. Kind of like kerosene, I guess. Fortunately for me my heating costs are included in the rent, so I am lucky I guess.

You guys can keep your heat all you want, I prefer to live in a place that actually has four distinct and varied seasons. Yes, the cold and snow does drag on and can become a pain after three or four months, but then that just makes the summers all that more enjoyable.

I was born in SoCal, and spent 23 years in that state. I'll tell you that consistent temps year round make life rather boring. At least the cold and snow lets you know that you are still alive. It builds character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area