Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,083,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
There are a lot of these guys that do this for a living and make good money doing it. I quit giving to any of them after the same lady stopped me for "gas money" in the Sams Club parking lot going into the store where I gave her $10 and then she stopped me again on my way out and forgot she had already hit me up.

She gave me some sob story about running out of gas on the way to her home in the east valley from visiting a sick relative in California. Said "I just need $5-$10 to get gas to make it home". I only had a $20 and a $10 and gave her the $10.

When I came out and she got me again I said "I just gave you the $10 you asked for to get home and now you need more?" she said "oops, sorry" and walked away.

No more for me.
She was an amateur, as the pros will hit you up only on the way out of the store.

Less chance of you informing management/security.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
They are everywhere. It's not just highway off ramps, either. Believe it or not, a week and a half ago on Saturday morning, some grungy looking woman had a sign out at the northeast corner of Frank Lloyd Wright and Thompson Peak.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
After visiting San Diego and going to a micro brewery in the Mission district, I can tell the difference between the real down and out and our often clean shaven, clean clothed, new sneakers "homeless" bums here. Many appear to me to be very well fed and clean, so I ignore them. They are scammers in my opinion and I love the "Vietnam" veteran signs and they guy is about 40 lol. Now the people sitting against a building with piles of plastic bags and a shopping cart may need a little $$ for a drink.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 AM
YAZ

Some egregious examples:

* Scurvy lookin' dude approached me while pumping gas....problem is he scared the crap out of me while I was checking my oil. Mentioned something about the nice truck I had and when I explained to him that I don't have any cash, he suggested that I use my debit card inside to get him some. Uhm, no. Senseless profanity spewed forth from his mouth after that. Scary times.

* Same gas station.....two young gals were walking around with gas cans hitting folks up for a little extra. How resourceful.....

I don't go there anymore.....Peoria & 19th Ave QT.

* Two guys PARKED at the pump, hitting folks up for cash as they filled their tanks. Actually had their tailgate down (pickup truck), and I saw two kind souls give them cash. I think those "kind souls" were just worried about their safety.

* Walking in to a gas station to get my daily dose of wonderful caffeine, three young people around high school age had their keesters parked right next to the door. One kid, with his face buried into his smart phone asked me for a couple of dollars.

Never even bothered to look up at me.

* Went out to breakfast with my saintly wife and as we pulled into our parking spot, Mr. Meth Head asked me for money before I even got out of the car. I politely told him "No".....so what does he decide to do?........Goes over to the other side of the car and asks my wife.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
After visiting San Diego and going to a micro brewery in the Mission district, I can tell the difference between the real down and out and our often clean shaven, clean clothed, new sneakers "homeless" bums here. Many appear to me to be very well fed and clean, so I ignore them. They are scammers in my opinion and I love the "Vietnam" veteran signs and they guy is about 40 lol. Now the people sitting against a building with piles of plastic bags and a shopping cart may need a little $$ for a drink.
I can spot a tweeker.......

Their eyes are just way too bright and their pupils are either REALLY small or REALLY large.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,474,412 times
The QT Mart on Bell just east of 19th Avenue is bad as well. The hotel right behind the gas station is a well known for prostitution. Last year a couple of young ladies tried to hustle me while I was pumping gas. Told me that they were traveling through and willing to help me if helped them. Just needed to give them enough money to rent a hotel room for the night.

Unfortunately the cops have their hands tied a lot of times. As long as bums are not on private property, panhandling is considered a first amendment right. Bums know that they have 15 minutes at least before the cops show up if they are hustling people at a gas station. So they will hit a station hard and heavy before moving down the road. Just make sure that you tell the people who work at the station. Once they recognize someone as a repeat offender they can often times chase them off before they start hustling. It's hard to tell who is a legitimate customer until someone complains.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Don't even think about walking out of a restaurant on Mill Ave with a doggy bag lol. I had one guy approach me acting very kind and smiling and asked for the leftovers, which my wife wanted to take home for the next day. As soon as I said "No", his mood changed and we began yelling at each other and I handed the meal to my wife and bowed up to punch him as it appeared it was going to get physical. Thank god he turned around and went back to his post, who knows if he would've stuck me with a needle, etc. It's people that say yes to these people that keep them there.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I can spot a tweeker.......

Their eyes are just way too bright and their pupils are either REALLY small or REALLY large.
Large pupils, maybe. Small pupils suggest opiate use.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times
I once saw a young man at the northbound offramp of the 101 at Frank Lloyd Wright. His sign said Need money for trip to Europe. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the situation, didn't see anybody give him any money.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,718 times
These panhandlers have crept into North Scottsdale as well. I always see the same rotation of men at the intersection of Scottsdale and Mayo, just in front of the Whole Foods.

Not making eye contact has worked well for me thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area