Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:41 AM

112 posts, read 76,320 times

Advertisements

The other day I saw 3 different people on 3 corners at Bell Rd and the I17 on the west side.

Hopefully the sun and heat drives them off the streets, none of them looked very hard off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM

156 posts, read 420,467 times
Saw a female panhandler at I17 & Tbird taking a break by shaving her legs the other day!!!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 PM

551 posts, read 693,471 times
Professional panhandlers exist. You are better off giving your money to charity or an organization than the same people you have seen for months on end.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:34 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Professional panhandlers exist. You are better off giving your money to charity or an organization than the same people you have seen for months on end.

I remember an undercover report that showed the faux panhandlers make anywhere from $200 to $1000 in a single day. The issue is for a lot of people doing it, it is quick and easy money for scoring drugs.

I do think giving to a charity like CASS is a far better way of giving with the greatest possible impact.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:35 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
The 101 and Bell near Arrowhead has every exit covered. Those are the passive beggars. The aggressive ones walk around a Walmart parking lot with an empty gas can in hand asking for a few dollars for gas. To maximize their revenue, they like to approach women with their kids in close proximity to their car. I watched one guy in Surprise work the crowd as very few people said no. I bet he knocks down $50+ an hour with his empty gas can prop. He literally jogged when he saw another victim (a.k.a. a compassionate person) an isle or two away.

As someone else mentioned, don't feed the pigeons.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:15 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
There was a guy down in Tucson that elevated panhandling to a new level about 20 years ago. He would ring your doorbell at two in the morning and tell you that he was a neighbor of yours that lived around the corner. Would even give you his address. Then would go into a story about his diabetic wife about to go into insulin shock without her meds, but he doesn't get paid until tomorrow afternoon. Can you spare $20 so he can run to the store and help his wife? His "wife" would be sitting in their car pretending to not look so good.

Knew a couple of people that got taken, he told a convincing story and had a great accomplice.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
There was a guy down in Tucson that elevated panhandling to a new level about 20 years ago. He would ring your doorbell at two in the morning and tell you that he was a neighbor of yours that lived around the corner. Would even give you his address. Then would go into a story about his diabetic wife about to go into insulin shock without her meds, but he doesn't get paid until tomorrow afternoon. Can you spare $20 so he can run to the store and help his wife? His "wife" would be sitting in their car pretending to not look so good.

Knew a couple of people that got taken, he told a convincing story and had a great accomplice.
Years back, when I lived near Chicago, we had a similar encounter. A man knocked on the door after night fall. My dad answered and the guy tried to sell my dad tools. Claimed he needed money to buy medicine. My dad offered to buy the medicine himself and give it to him. Guy left promptly. Classic scam, nationwide.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:58 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post

Anyone that is opening their door at "two in the morning" for someone they don't know deserves to be taken for $20.

If it were ever necessary for me to open my door at 0200 I would be armed and I doubt a panhandler would want to continue with the scam and I can assure you I would be in no mood to listen to it.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:10 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Anyone that is opening their door at "two in the morning" for someone they don't know deserves to be taken for $20.

If it were ever necessary for me to open my door at 0200 I would be armed and I doubt a panhandler would want to continue with the scam and I can assure you I would be in no mood to listen to it.
Wow. I don't mean to be naïve, but if there was something sinister going on at my front door......I would hardly think that they would ring the doorbell first.

I did live in the Detroit area for 20+ years....maybe Midwestern folks just think differently?

No problem though with a firearm handy.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:54 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Wow. I don't mean to be naïve, but if there was something sinister going on at my front door......I would hardly think that they would ring the doorbell first.

I did live in the Detroit area for 20+ years....maybe Midwestern folks just think differently?

No problem though with a firearm handy.
One of us is confused...didn't the poster I quoted say that a guy and his wife were ringing peoples doorbell at two in the morning and running a scam on them? That seems "sinister" to me an if I were going to open my door at two in the morning and become a victim of a scam I would be armed to make sure the event didn't turn into something MORE sinister.

Regardless, there are many home invasions that start with a knock at the door or ringing of a doorbell. This allows the criminal to see if anyone is home, if a dog is in the house, who answers the door (much more likely to invade a home with a older or weaker person who can't fight back), etc. Google brought up many articles like this...

http://www.heraldnews.com/article/20...News/140507567

http://www.americanownews.com/story/...k-knock-beware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area