U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 AM

487 posts, read 584,058 times

Advertisements

This is just out of curiosity, and I'd like to hear from long-time residents on this one. How did the habit of block wall fencing just about every property come to be? Did it start out as a way to keep animals out of people's yards, or is it simply that everyone likes fences? Could it have become a "thing" there because of the number of pools in yards?

I'm not complaining about them - I actually like them quite a bit. It's just something I haven't really seen much out east anywhere. We have plenty of fences, but it's not a given like it seems to be in cities and suburbs out west.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 AM

29,287 posts, read 39,605,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
This is just out of curiosity, and I'd like to hear from long-time residents on this one. How did the habit of block wall fencing just about every property come to be? Did it start out as a way to keep animals out of people's yards, or is it simply that everyone likes fences? Could it have become a "thing" there because of the number of pools in yards?

I'm not complaining about them - I actually like them quite a bit. It's just something I haven't really seen much out east anywhere. We have plenty of fences, but it's not a given like it seems to be in cities and suburbs out west.

Thanks!
They were made of wood in the typical tract development years back. The higher priced homes had concrete block. The wood rotted and fell over and eventually block became the standard everywhere.

Why fences? Who knows. I suppose a developer in CA tried it, consumers liked it, and it became a trend and then a standard. I like them too. My dogs, my pool, my privacy, my landscaping choices, my "stuff" out back protected from thieves. I can't imagine living without a block wall.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,804,802 times
In the early days of settling the west, block walls were put up to control livestock. Traditionally, they were not so high.....low enough to see over.

They've morphed somewhat into a privacy issue, but they're also there for safety and fire control.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 AM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,804,802 times
I can imagine what my neighbors would think if I still lived in Michigan and I put a six foot block wall around my property.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 AM

The backyard is much more of a personal space in western "culture". People spend a lot of time out back in the pool or just enjoying the weather. The rear patio has been a feature of homes here forever. I can't say if that is cause or effect of the walls, but clearly without them, it would not be so enjoyable.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:30 AM

3,104 posts, read 898,316 times
I would also add that when they started building tract homes in the newer sub- divisions there are no alleys, so the yards were back to back. The solution....fences, lots of fences!

Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I would also add that when they started building tract homes in the newer sub- divisions there are no alleys, so the yards were back to back. The solution....fences, lots of fences!
Subdivisions here used to have alleys and they all had fences too.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:04 AM

2,941 posts, read 6,762,010 times
Alright, I actually get to use my college degree for something. According to my professor when I took my Arizona geography and western history classes the high block wall is a Mexican influence. Mexican houses and neighborhoods typically had small to no front yard with a high walled backyard. On top of that block is easier to get a hold of in an area with little to no trees.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 AM

52 posts, read 54,974 times
Other than much of the USA and Canada, almost every other place in the world I've been to has had walled back yards. I used to live in Scandinavia and they would grow a thick 6 foot tall hedge around their yards and that was common in much of Europe. It actually makes sense in that gives a lot of privacy as well if you have little kids you can let them play back there without worrying about them running away.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 AM

4,652 posts, read 8,569,310 times
Same reason we use tile on roofs here for the most part and not wooden shingles. Same reason we use stucco instead of wood or vinyl siding. Wood does not hold up in this heat and concrete blocks do. Privacy fences are popular all over the country, wood fences don't hold up here like they do in other parts with less sun and heat to dry and destroy the wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or