Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,124 times

Advertisements

Hey all -

So the SO and I are considering moving to the Phoenix area from NYC - between the cost of living, and horrific winters, it's time for a change! We had considered moving to Las Vegas (I have a small amount of extended family and friends there), but between the job market and some other factors, we are leaning more towards the Phoenix area (SO is a severe asthmatic, amongst other health issues, and the 24/7 smoking in bars is not ideal for trying to be social). In addition, we both work in the healthcare industry, and it seems just from exploring online that there are quite a large number MORE healthcare job opportunities in the PHX area. I guess my question is: how hard is it actually to find work in this field? We're both attempting to (at least for now) to apply long-distance - we have the means to get there ASAP if needed for an interview, but unfortunately not the means at the moment to leave our jobs and head out there tomorrow. Any advice? (I know that there are a few post relating to this, but they are a bit outdated at this point). Also, hey, if anyone works in, or knows anyone in this field, I'd love to network with you a bit about this.

As far as where in PHX to live - we are looking at Encanto/Melrose/Alhambra areas of Downtown Phoenix - we think this would be ideal, at least for the first year, until we get bearings, and know exactly where we want to be (neither of us has been there for longer than a layover, although I do have a few friends/family friends in Scottsdale area). Would this area be ideal for two 30-something professionals?

I've definitely seen a lot of friendly advice on this board, and would appreciate any helpful words of encouragement (or smacks upside the head, as the case may be)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:48 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times
It depends on what type of healthcare professional you are. Doctor? Nurse? Midlevel? Resp therapist? The answer will vary greatly depending on background and experience. In general, there are many hospitals, SNFs, AL, and other places that provide healthcare in the PHX metro area...

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Hi,

Sorry I should've been a bit more specfic. We both work in clinical support/administration. My current position, best described to someone on the outside, is part patient scheduling and coordination, part clinical manager. I run the clinic environment for Surgical and Medical Oncologists in the outpatient setting. I've seen most listings similar to what I do listed as "surgicalk scheduler", " practice supervisor ", etc. SO does the same, but is hoping to return to school for nursing.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM

Unfortunately, I really don't know about that specialty. I can say there are numerous hospitals, include Cancer Tx Center in Goodyear. Also, you might check Corizon's webpage if you would consider a correctional environment. In doesn't always offer stability as some people don't care for it, but they certainly seem to have frequent openings. Also, perhaps some of the hospices would have something suitable; maybe not identical to your current field, but there are probably about 50 hospices in the valley.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 PM

I forgot to add that I'm a nurse and the market is definitely improving, even for new grads. Wages tend to be good here for nurses and the COL is reasonable. There are a variety of educational opportunities for entering the nursing field that can be prioritized based either on cost or speed….

Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Thanks military spouse, I appreciate the suggestions - I will take a look at Corizon, although I'm not sure how much I want to work in that environment (but a job is a job, right?). I will definitely look at the hospices as well - unfortunately CTCA didn't seem to have too many listings at the moment. I'm also waiting to here back from Banner Health on one position as well. . . . . I know, it doesn't happen overnight, but I wish it would just pan out for us!

Old 05-27-2014, 05:45 PM

You might also try Abrazo and Dignity Health.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:27 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
dont mean to butt in, but since youre a nurse military spouse, and resp therapists work alongside with yall, whats the market like for them and the pay scale?

i ask since my fiance just finished and although she'll start out here in houston, i was curious what opportunities are out there as we are thinking of phx as a possibility. thanks in advance

Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 PM

I currently work in an auditing/compliance position and am not too familiar with the local market for RTs, but it seems that they are generally in demand. I would suggest searching some local websites and as far as pay is concerned, I can only speak for a nurse but PHX seems to be quite competitive and enjoys a relatively low COL. Houses aren't too bad and tend to offer the amenities seen in newer homes. Property taxes are lower here, but, of course, we have a state income tax.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:33 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Downtown is a good option...St. Joes, MIHS, Phoenix Children's, AZ Heart Institute, Banner Good Samaritan and a few others are very close by. I would disagree with the statement that the environment is good for New Grad Nurses...my wife has been job hunting for a year since getting her RN...they all want experience. That being said...do NOT fall for the ADN track...go for your BSN, all the hospitals are looking to maintain their magnate status and are only looking at BSNs. Maricopa Community Colleges turn out almost 900 new ADN RNs a year so the competition for new grads is very tough. I heard Dignity Health has a new affiliation with Grand Canyon University though so it may behoove you to look there if you or your SO are looking to pursue a Nursing Degree.

I hear the VA will have openings soon though.

Correcting due to stats lookup...although I don't see an inclusion for Summer Semester grads:

http://nursing.maricopa.edu/pdfdocs/nursinggradspersemester.pdf

Last edited by KurtAZ; 05-30-2014 at 07:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area