Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this story (apologies if somebody did and I missed it). The reaction of most people that I spoke to at the time was that the moron got what he deserved.

It's a sad but true tale: Man fatally crushed by saguaro

Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this story (apologies if somebody did and I missed it). The reaction of most people that I spoke to at the time was that the moron got what he deserved.

Someone did mention it upthread. Darwinism at its finest.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

It was mentioned upthread.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
He was charged with felony criminal damage, the same thing he would have been charged with for damaging any other public property with the same monetary value-- park benches, restrooms, fences, walls, etc. It's not a "tree hugger" law that he was charged under. So, no more discussion of wildlife or other similar topics, please.
Yes, this was not some random saguaro in the middle of the desert - not that that would excuse his behavior. It was an iconic, very old saguaro in a public park. Maybe our midwestern transplants would "get it" if they considered what would happen had some punk had been apprehended taking a machete or a chain saw to an ancient oak back in an Ohio city park.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes, this was not some random saguaro in the middle of the desert - not that that would excuse his behavior. It was an iconic, very old saguaro in a public park. Maybe our midwestern transplants would "get it" if they considered what would happen had some punk had been apprehended taking a machete or a chain saw to an ancient oak back in an Ohio city park.
They would prosecute for vandalism and it would be forgotten about since there is no shortage of oak trees.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:45 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
They would prosecute for vandalism and it would be forgotten about since there is no shortage of oak trees.
Just what is happening here with the saguaro. But before you dismiss it, google "oak tree vandalism" for an eye opener about how people feel about vandalism of iconic trees in their communities. Hang em high is pretty much the universal reaction toward the perp.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:22 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Just what is happening here with the saguaro. But before you dismiss it, google "oak tree vandalism" for an eye opener about how people feel about vandalism of iconic trees in their communities. Hang em high is pretty much the universal reaction toward the perp.
It is usually a very vocal minority led by an environmentalist. I don't call it a universal reaction when only about 1% of the population care, 5 % go to meet chicks, and the rest haven't heard about it.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:52 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
It is usually a very vocal minority led by an environmentalist. I don't call it a universal reaction when only about 1% of the population care, 5 % go to meet chicks, and the rest haven't heard about it.
Where are you getting these stats from? It sounds like you're simply stating your opinion as if it were a fact.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:33 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Did you happen to read about the guy that poisoned two 130 year old trees at Auburn University last year? They tried to save them but in the end they had to cut them down. Many people were angry. The 60 year old guy that did it got a very stiff punishment to include serving at least six months of a 3 year sentence for criminal damage to an agricultural facility (a felony). Plus after he was released he was put on 5 years of supervised probation (with a 7 pm curfew), and is banned from attending any collegiate event and being on Auburn University property. And they were also thinking of assessing restitution. They took it very seriously as did many of the former students.

I was thinking of a nice park in a stately older area of the midwestern city I'm most familiar with, I can image the outrage if someone hacked up the big old beautiful pine trees there. Many people would be furious and want the offenders head on a platter. It certainly wouldn't just be a few environmentalists types.

Auburn University removing oaks to rest - CNN.com

Old 05-27-2014, 06:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Just a reminder that one of your Midwestern transplants was upset enough to start this thread . some of us get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area