Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletmaffia84 View Post
- "The Fiance" Wow it appears I have missed out on some action. We have been using Zillow and Scottsdale was eliminated the first day.

While my goal isn't to work at Luke, I have worked on the F35 test and development program in the past. Now currently working UAVs overseas, and when i'm home for 4 months I don't work. Now I don't want to keep deploying, but if a self employed business doesn't take off as well as I hope it does, then I will fall back on the F35 program in teaching our military partners how to keep the dang thing from breaking.

So far our searches have turned up some nice housing in Avondale, Goodyear, Surprise (favorite so far) and Glendale. (second favorite). We know every town will have its good and bads. We lived in Vegas after all. Just trying to gain some insight. We really appreciate the input and "enthusiasm" you all are putting in!

Ultimately it seems we will have to just take a road trip, crash at a hotel or rent a place temporarily and decide for ourselves.
There is nothing wrong with Surprise. The pecking order of west valley cities is from top to bottom: Litchfield Park, Goodyear, Surprise, Peoria (some of Peoria would be way up there though), Glendale, Avondale, Tolleson, El Mirage. All of them have good and bad, as you say, but there is very little bad in the first three as they were all very tiny towns when the boom hit, so most everything is new. There is not much of run down older parts like you will find in Glendale and, to some extent, in Peoria. The NW part of Peoria runs all the way to Lake Pleasant and is quite affluent. A good part of what people may call Litchfield Park is actually Goodyear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
You'll find lots of places in the west valley on VRBO if you want to rent something for a short exploratory trip.

For longer term renting (before making a decision to buy) I still see lots of "for lease" signs all over Estrella and Canyon Trails, at least. Shouldn't be too hard to find a nice place in an area you're interested in, and explore from there without having to make a commitment right away.

We did find the trip to and from Surprise a little more congested than other areas, but again if you're not commuting that's not a factor.

The best prices for great house plus amenities that we found (without hiking all the way to Tartesso) were in Surprise and Goodyear.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Chandler is much more upscale than Avondale and Glendale.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would *want* to live in the West Valley, let alone Avondale/Goodyear.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 PM

Well, we chose it over the east valley pretty much as soon as we saw Verrado and Estrella. We would likely NOT have chosen Glendale over Chandler in our price range.

However, we like the west valley very well, and prices were considerably lower on nice homes in beautiful neighborhoods than what we could buy in Chandler or Gilbert (though both of those locations were within our reach as well and had plenty of appeal). We really didn't see anything that beat Estrella value-wise. So that's one reason. Glad I could help! LOL

ETA: And I'd still have chosen Anthem over east valley; but remember we don't need to commute; we're just in it to enjoy a beautiful home and neighborhood while still being in close enough striking distance to sporting & cultural events.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
There is one in every crowd and you are that one 8to32characters.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why anyone would *want* to live in the West Valley, let alone Avondale/Goodyear.
Oh I don't know. Maybe I don't want an hour commute to my job in the west valley from Chandler. But I bet I'm the only one who works in the west valley with this problem.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:40 PM

27 posts, read 48,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

I don't see what's so wrong with that area, sounds like avondale has a few stretchy areas but overall looks like Goodyear is a clean nice area and not being terribly far from everything. Have not come across old housing and to be honest the more I research the west side the more I prefer it then to the more"upscale" areas because I've seen so much better housing and neighborhoods then in Chandler or tempe.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP30 View Post
I don't see what's so wrong with that area, sounds like avondale has a few stretchy areas but overall looks like Goodyear is a clean nice area and not being terribly far from everything. Have not come across old housing and to be honest the more I research the west side the more I prefer it then to the more"upscale" areas because I've seen so much better housing and neighborhoods then in Chandler or tempe.
You have to ignore comments like that one was. The terms "west valley" "east valley" etc are vague and mean very little. Many in the east valley think Phoenix Maryvale is the west valley. They have absolutely no idea about all the high quality growth that is taking places out past the 101 and now focusing on the new 303 freeway. Goodyear is one of the fastest growing cities in the country - and the fastest in the metro at the moment, so obviously people find reasons to live in the the "west valley".

Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP30 View Post
We bought in an unincorporated part of Litchfield Park earlier this year called Wigwam Creek South. Directly east across Dysart from the Wigwam resort area (pretty much north Avondale). The Neighborhood is beautiful and we love it. We ride our bikes to the resort area for lunch or the farmer's market. We got more house for the money than our friends who bought in the east valley and in a better school district. They'd lived in Phoenix all their life and never seen the community where we live. Even they loved the area when they came out to visit.

You're a grade A dumbass if you try to classify one whole section of the valley as "______." You simply can't generically give a term to even the individual cities. Great/bad pockets everywhere. Find your spot, relatively close to work, and in an area/budget you are comfortable with. You'll be happy.

We've been here two years and love it. We bought a house sooner than planned but it just felt right...even in the shady west valley.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 AM

I hear the whole east valley smells like farmyard

Just sayin'.

(As long as we're tossing stereotypes around on this thread.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area