Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:29 PM

41 posts, read 90,129 times

Advertisements

heck yes, i would move to vegas. i live in florida and in vegas. I would move back because there is less humidity. Weather plays a large part of how comfortable you feel in a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:55 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,322 times
I think Arizona's prettier than Nevada, and Vegas is CHILLY in winter. We had considered Vegas before settling on Phoenix for that very reason.

Everyone I've spoken to who lives/has a place in Vegas says that when you live in the residential areas, it's nothing like the strip. Obviously, I guess! Still, you have access to great restaurants & shows and a 24/7 wild party if you want that part of the time. So I suppose that's a plus (just the food for me!).

It sounds like you are pretty flexible right now, so why not check it out? There's nothing wrong with moving around to different places if that's what you like to do!

Old 06-02-2014, 01:01 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Would I move to Vegas just for the weather? No.

In the past I have applied for jobs in Vegas. Partly because they were cool jobs. Partly because they paid better. But I'm getting long in the tooth to get hired, so no luck.

What does Vegas have that is attractive to me? Nearby high mountains, big lakes, and unique deserts. Similar to Phoenix. Within a days drive you have quite a few points of interest to see. Like Phoenix.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Let's keep this thread focused on the OP, which is a weather/climate comparison only. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times
i went to college in phx & now live outside of vegas. i chose vegas simply because of the weather & things to do.

our summers are not nearly as hot or as long. yes our winters are much cooler (had to give hubby the cool season, he's not a heat lover like i am). there are plenty of things to do without having to travel hours to get to or deal with the traffic coming back into town.

i dearly miss the monsoon lightening storms that phx has, but that's about it.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:43 PM

768 posts, read 1,758,833 times
IMHO - certainly understand the draw to Las Vegas especially compared to Phoenix.

The winters in LV can be cold - just like in Phoenix. And windy - just like Phoenix. Then there are the summers - both Vegas & Phoenix are hot. Vegas not as severe as Phoenix. The heat island effect has a HUGE impact on how hot it actually feels. Las Vegas (the tourist parts & the Strip/Fremont St) work real hard to make people feel comfortable - its good for business. Only you can determine how much 5-10 degrees either way is going to impact your life or livelyhood.

Then there is the rain...Las Vegas normally receives more rain than Phoenix. Las Vegas when it rains can be a lot of fun - but be warned, Las Vegas has a drainage problem (not unlike some parts of Phoenix metro and other major cities) and is prone to flooding - which flushes out the street people that live in "underground Las Vegas".

Hope this helps the original OP

Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I like Phoenix climate better due to warmer winters and much less wind. But I guess LV is better for about 4 months...still that's Phoenix 8 months and LV 4 months. Phoenix also has a much more varied landscape nearby.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:20 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
IMHO - certainly understand the draw to Las Vegas especially compared to Phoenix.

The winters in LV can be cold - just like in Phoenix. And windy - just like Phoenix. Then there are the summers - both Vegas & Phoenix are hot. Vegas not as severe as Phoenix. The heat island effect has a HUGE impact on how hot it actually feels. Las Vegas (the tourist parts & the Strip/Fremont St) work real hard to make people feel comfortable - its good for business. Only you can determine how much 5-10 degrees either way is going to impact your life or livelyhood.

Then there is the rain...Las Vegas normally receives more rain than Phoenix. Las Vegas when it rains can be a lot of fun - but be warned, Las Vegas has a drainage problem (not unlike some parts of Phoenix metro and other major cities) and is prone to flooding - which flushes out the street people that live in "underground Las Vegas".

Hope this helps the original OP
It is the reverse. Annual rainfall in Las Vegas is about 1/2 of what the annual rainfall is in Phoenix. Las Vegas does not get nearly the summer action that you have in Phoenix. It does tend to come on one day though!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I like Phoenix climate better due to warmer winters and much less wind. But I guess LV is better for about 4 months...still that's Phoenix 8 months and LV 4 months. Phoenix also has a much more varied landscape nearby.
Actually Las Vegas wind is pretty close to average for a large US city. However Phoenix wind is very low.

I would think Phoenix gets 3 better in the winter. Las Vegas gets three better in the Summer. The others are very nice in both. So it is simply ones choice of colder winter versus hotter summer.

Phoenix has nice views. Las Vegas has nicer if anything. Including a snow capped mountain much of the year.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Actually Las Vegas wind is pretty close to average for a large US city. However Phoenix wind is very low.

I would think Phoenix gets 3 better in the winter. Las Vegas gets three better in the Summer. The others are very nice in both. So it is simply ones choice of colder winter versus hotter summer.

Phoenix has nice views. Las Vegas has nicer if anything. Including a snow capped mountain much of the year.
Phoenix is lower than the national average for wind all 12 months and as an avid cyclist, I love that. So that's the reason I prefer Phoenix climate in all but the summer months.

As for the views, I like Vegas but it's dry and you don't get the vegetation variance like the Saguaros and Johsua Trees in or near Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area