Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM

39,003 posts, read 50,987,327 times

Advertisements

Speaking of traffic, the 303 is now open northbound with at least two lovely (mostly rubberized) lanes all the way from Thomas Road to I-17. I drove up there yesterday and almost cried. I remember what it was like on Cotton Lane just a couple years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 17,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
What country are you from? The highest average price per gallon of regular in the US is in Hawaii at $4.37. The highest price on the mainland is $4.11 in Calfornia.

USA and Canada Current Average Gas Prices By City/State/Province - GasBuddy.com
Just paid $4.71 today for Mid grade in chicago.

There is a gas station close to the Gold coast, which is Michigan Ave/Shopping/Retail, where your very rich people live (Not all but many) that still has the FULL service pumps and they are $5.50/$6 a gallon. Your basic local celebs and rich wives, or anyone thinks it might be too cold out/etc to pump their own gas.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,899,313 times
Every once in a while I'll look at traffic to see how bad it is in other places and I kept noticing how relatively clear it was in Phoenix. Being from Atlanta I'm rather envious. I don't usually leave the office until 730 PM just to avoid the worst of traffic. Even then I've encountered 10 mph or less in places. What's the secret? Phoenix isn't that small and has been one of the fastest growing metros.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:13 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,768,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Speaking of traffic, the 303 is now open northbound with at least two lovely (mostly rubberized) lanes all the way from Thomas Road to I-17. I drove up there yesterday and almost cried. I remember what it was like on Cotton Lane just a couple years ago.
Question: Why didn't they just connect the 303 to 74 instead of extending it all the way to I-17? Seems like a waste of a road where the 303 and 74 both go east-west to I-17.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:18 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,768,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Every once in a while I'll look at traffic to see how bad it is in other places and I kept noticing how relatively clear it was in Phoenix. Being from Atlanta I'm rather envious. I don't usually leave the office until 730 PM just to avoid the worst of traffic. Even then I've encountered 10 mph or less in places. What's the secret? Phoenix isn't that small and has been one of the fastest growing metros.
The city core isn't as dense as Atlanta is. Also, the 9-5 economy isn't thriving as much as Atlanta's is.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,264,581 times
I think people who complain bitterly about traffic in Phoenix probably have very little experience driving elsewhere. They've probably lived in Phoenix their whole lives or moved from some small town in the Midwest. Phoenix is America's sixth largest city. There should be a lot of traffic. Phoenix is closet in population to Philadelphia. Do a little driving on I-95 in the winter and then tell a Philadelphian you have it worse in Phoenix — and try to keep a straight face.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,367,632 times
There seem to be two bottlenecks in traffic during the work traffic times - 101 West from the 51 Freeway in the afternoon drive; the other is down south on the 1-10 going east, also in the afternoon. Otherwise, if there's no accidents, it really is pretty easy. Of course I say on here all the time that the 1-17 is haunted... it seems to have a lot of weird accidents. Morning is the usual slogging through, but compared to Honolulu where I used to live, this is a piece of cake! Even in the heat!

For all you newbies to Phoenix who are reading this - Please help us all out by getting your cars checked out regularly. Find out what the summer tire pressure should be, keep at least a gallon of water in the car and in any other part of your car that requires it. Remember that gas in your tank evaporates if you let your car sit outside a lot in this heat. Don't panic when you get in your car and it feels like a sauna. It IS a sauna. (See - you saved money! No need go to a fancy spa!) Go get yerself some potholders so you can buckle up. I bought me some of these

Oh - and rules of the road -- if you see someone walking across the road in this heat, let them pass. You don't want to stand on that blacktop in this heat, so don't make them do it! If you see someone with their windows down and it's 900º (only slightly exaggerating...) give them the right of way if it makes sense. They need to get to AC!

If you really really really really can't take it and you've been in a bad traffic situation, stop at a mall or go take in a movie. That's where we all are! It keeps you from getting your undies in a twist over the small stuff. We all thank you for your attention to this. Road rage in 110º can get ugly quickly.

Happy driving!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,577,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Atlanta grew like a wagon wheel - inner ring, middle ring, outer ring with spokes connecting the ring. You often have to go out, over and back down to get somewhere (A to C back to B). Houston is the same way. Phoenix is like a tree - it grew in rings. There are a large number of main drags that parallel the major freeways. 101 backed up? You can get off and go north/south or east/west on surface streets. Dallas is the same way. I think it's much easier to drive rush hour in Phoenix that Atlanta or Houston.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:43 PM

39,003 posts, read 50,987,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Question: Why didn't they just connect the 303 to 74 instead of extending it all the way to I-17? Seems like a waste of a road where the 303 and 74 both go east-west to I-17.
I don't know. Carefree Hwy (74) intersection with I17 is a major congestion point now. Maybe putting 303 in there would have made matters even worse or required another "stack". Right now, the 303 just ends at I17. You have to get off and go through some signal lights to get on to I17.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,484,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post

oh no it's not!

55th for congestion in all of North America! Traffic does not exist in the Valley of the Sun.

Updated Tom Tom index.

http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/traffi...nualAme-mi.pdf
Claiming traffic does not exist here is about like claiming it doesn't get hot in the summertime here.

Of course traffic exists, anyone who claims it doesn't must live way out in the boonies where traffic is naturally lighter. Have you never driven on the 202 Loop, I-10, I-17, or most other other freeways during crush hour times?

I don't think tomtom is an accurate website, it's the only source listing Phoenix low on the scale.

Many other sources rank Phoenix traffic in the top fifteen most congested in the United States.

In Depth: America's Most Congested Cities - Forbes

14. Phoenix, Arizona | Top 15 Cities with the Worst Traffic | Comcast.net

The 20 Most Traffic-Congested Cities In America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area