Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,574,188 times

Advertisements

It's nice to hear so much good news lately about Phoenix!! We seem to be doing a having a nice recovery after the recession. It's a boost in confidence I think we all can appreciate.
Thanks for sharing this AZRIVER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:54 PM

268 posts, read 429,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And the ocean is so overrated. I live less than 3 miles from the beach and I rarely go to the beach. It's completely overrated. People in Arizona think it must be so nice to live near the beach. The reality is most people who live here never go to the beach. The only time they can go to the beach is on the weekends and they have to get here really early otherwise they won't get parking. And you have to pay $20 for parking after 11 AM because the free spots are taken. People have to pay to be part of beach clubs just to get parking, towels and immediate access to the beach. And then when you get to the beach, what do you do that you can't do at a pool? Make sand castles...whooptee doo! You just wade in the ocean...wow..so much fun. I would rather be in my own backyard pool with misters on a deck and cold beer. I'm not having to clean sand off me or get it in my car. It's psychological. People just want to say they went to the beach or live near the beach but in reality it's not that fun. Honestly, lakes are more fun. I would rather water ski or jet ski on a lake than go to the ocean. Unless you surf or deep sea fish, there is not really that much to an ocean.
You are so lucky! Want to trade places? It's so funny how different people are. For me, the ocean is almost a spiritual experience. I barely even get in it, just like to stare at the waves. It's wild and chaotic and reminds me that I don't have control. I don't surf much, but love it and can't wait to live closer to the ocean and surf all the time. (Or at least on weekends, haha. )

What you say about only going on the weekends is so true. I lived in Hawaii for a while, a 10-minute walk from the beach, and some weeks I barely went. But the ocean is still there, and its presence infuses the towns around it with a relaxed, beachy lifestyle vibe I really dig. Personally, I also much prefer the humidity to a dry heat. The Valley's dry air is a big qualify of life issue for me. I grew up around humidity and that probably plays a large role. Even San Diego is too dry off the coast.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,010,988 times
What happened! What in the world are you doing in Florida? You don't belong there, you're a west-coaster. Of course I agree with everything you stated, I recently moved from St. Petersburg. And BTW, I hadn't been to the beach the last 3 years prior to moving, despite living 15 minutes from the Gulf Coast beaches. I also lived in Boca Raton. Heck I was born in Tampa. That's an unprogressive state, don't let a few palm trees fuel you.

Your posts were very influential in me moving to Phoenix, it kind of sucks that you're out east now. I hope it's just a temporary move. Because that's a downgrade, I would rather relocate to Las Vegas or southern Cal. It's such a more uplifting vibe here. Those humid Florida days, the sound of crickets, moss hanging down from trees, messy brush like you said...that just makes a man want to drink (which they do alot of there, along with cigarettes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
And with trees comes overcast days, rain and thunderstorms. I live in South Florida near the beach. Arizona is prettier in my opinion. Yes, the ocean is pretty....when it's not cloudy outside. Messy brush and endless rows of trees are not beautiful to me. It's flat here too. There are no views of anything. I prefer views of the mountains with blue skies, lots of sun and beautiful sunsets. I will take that any day over the boring trees that you see in 90% of the country. Furthermore, the nasty smell of saltwater and fish near the beach is disgusting particularly at night. And the salt water harms homes near the ocean. And it's not like Arizona is devoid of trees. Most neighborhoods have trees and lawns. We just don't have those rows upon rows of trees that you see in the Pacific Northwest which I don't need.

And the ocean is so overrated. I live less than 3 miles from the beach and I rarely go to the beach. It's completely overrated. People in Arizona think it must be so nice to live near the beach. The reality is most people who live here never go to the beach. The only time they can go to the beach is on the weekends and they have to get here really early otherwise they won't get parking. And you have to pay $20 for parking after 11 AM because the free spots are taken. People have to pay to be part of beach clubs just to get parking, towels and immediate access to the beach. And then when you get to the beach, what do you do that you can't do at a pool? Make sand castles...whooptee doo! You just wade in the ocean...wow..so much fun. I would rather be in my own backyard pool with misters on a deck and cold beer. I'm not having to clean sand off me or get it in my car. It's psychological. People just want to say they went to the beach or live near the beach but in reality it's not that fun. Honestly, lakes are more fun. I would rather water ski or jet ski on a lake than go to the ocean. Unless you surf or deep sea fish, there is not really that much to an ocean.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 AM

4,620 posts, read 9,252,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
What happened! What in the world are you doing in Florida? You don't belong there, you're a west-coaster. Of course I agree with everything you stated, I recently moved from St. Petersburg. And BTW, I hadn't been to the beach the last 3 years prior to moving, despite living 15 minutes from the Gulf Coast beaches. I also lived in Boca Raton. Heck I was born in Tampa. That's an unprogressive state, don't let a few palm trees fuel you.

Your posts were very influential in me moving to Phoenix, it kind of sucks that you're out east now. I hope it's just a temporary move. Because that's a downgrade, I would rather relocate to Las Vegas or southern Cal. It's such a more uplifting vibe here. Those humid Florida days, the sound of crickets, moss hanging down from trees, messy brush like you said...that just makes a man want to drink (which they do alot of there, along with cigarettes).
I never lived in Florida but have family in the SE US so spent a little time in Florida during summer when I was growing up and I was not a fan. I agree it was flat and boring and to add to that the humidity and bugs. having said that I grew up 10-15 mins from the Pacific and we spent a considerable amount of time in the water. my group of friends would be there 3-4 days a week and I started to get pretty decent at surfing. can't really surf or body board in our lakes. I think just like some people here will never appreciate our lakes and rivers, there are those by the beach that never go. for me personally it's a big benefit.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,588,849 times
FWIW, I've been watching rents/jobs/wages for a little over 2 years now, planning a relocation and narrowed it down to Denver or Phoenix. In my field (accounting), the posted wages I'm seeing in PHX are better than Denver, and rents in PHX are lower. In cases of the higher rent areas in both cities, PHX wins hands down as the higher rent areas tend to be newer complexes with more amenities than what Denver high rent areas offer. So I can totally believe that article.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:41 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,435,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
FWIW, I've been watching rents/jobs/wages for a little over 2 years now, planning a relocation and narrowed it down to Denver or Phoenix. In my field (accounting), the posted wages I'm seeing in PHX are better than Denver, and rents in PHX are lower. In cases of the higher rent areas in both cities, PHX wins hands down as the higher rent areas tend to be newer complexes with more amenities than what Denver high rent areas offer. So I can totally believe that article.

How old are you and what's your situation like (single/attached)?
I love Phoenix (my hometown) for scenery, weather, roads, Sprouts, affordability, space and lots of other great points, but Denver has a LOT more to offer to someone in their 20- 30's, or any age really if you're active.
If you're a homebody then I'd go with Phoenix- it's cheaper and cushier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area