Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
As a newbie to AZ, (been here for just a little more than a month) we also experienced the warm water coming out of the faucets and washing machine. Although it's a bit hard adapting to all this change, I sort of wish we had moved elsewhere! One good thing is that we don't have a HUGE water bill to contend with!
Don't forget to buy a set of "Ove Gloves" so you can open your car doors. Those handles can SCORCH you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 08:01 AM

212 posts, read 228,967 times
ICE CUBE Trays! I think they have them for cheap at Wal-Mart

Old 06-14-2014, 02:39 PM

550 posts, read 1,125,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Your cold water is so hot that it will scald your dog? That seems a bit extreme. Could your lines be crossed?
It's not scalding hot but even tho I like my shower water to be very warm, this is even too warm for me. So if it is too warm for me it is too warm for my dog. No the lines are not crossed.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I think her outdoor garden hose is heating the water. It does get extremely hot. She simply needs to run the water for 3 minutes before she sprays her dog. It's on page 11 on the garden hose warning manual (a supplement for manufactures to avoid stupid lawsuits.).
For your information I don't wash my dog outside with the water hose. He is bathed inside in the sink of the laundry room.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
In most (if not all) of the newer subdivision homes the water lines from the curb (meter) to the home are not buried all that deep so as the soil heats up so do the pipes. Add to that supply pipes leave the ground and are exposed until they enter the home along with back flow preventers and other valves.

Then depending on what style of home you have they enter the garage wall which is generally not insulated and travel to the water softener (generally in the uninsulated garage) which adds more heat.
As the outside temps remain high even at night there's no chance for the soil,concrete,asphalt,stucco and walls to really cool so you're stuck with warm water.

Average temp of "cold" water at our home in the middle of summer is 90 to 104 degrees as tested with an instant read thermometer.

Coming from MT well water that was always cold to crisp, sometimes cold enough to make your teeth hurt this was something to get used to.
Upside? Well, our gas bill is very,very low during the summer and the dog enjoys getting a bath outside (after letting the hose run for a bit of course )
When I complained I was told that I live in the middle of the desert and that the water lines will get hot during the summer months. And you are right, the pipes enter the garage and go to the water softener. We insulated the exposed pipe outside the garage (mostly to avoid freezing during the winter) but it does not help.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
When I complained I was told that I live in the middle of the desert and that the water lines will get hot during the summer months.
To whom did you complain?

Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
When I complained I was told that I live in the middle of the desert and that the water lines will get hot during the summer months. And you are right, the pipes enter the garage and go to the water softener. We insulated the exposed pipe outside the garage (mostly to avoid freezing during the winter) but it does not help.
It won't. This is because the depth of the feed line underground not to mention the lines travel through uninsulated garage walls that soak up heat and hold it in the empty space between the sheetrock. Then add to it both softener and water heater are in that hot garage.
When you turn on the faucet for the first time in the morning if the water is cool/chilly it's probably because at some point the pipes go through the foundation (concrete) and that cools it while sitting unused all night long. Usually it's the pipes that run to the kitchen at the back of the house that stay in concrete the longest.

Depending on how cool you keep your house this cool morning water could last all summer or just part of it as the foundation warms up (or not).
Took us a while to get used to the constant warm water. Not much you can do except insulate everywhere the pipes run and bury the meter/feed lines much deeper. Or, buy a chest fridge and run the cold water line in a coil through it.
All that would be a mighty expensive fix for cooler water though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area