U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:22 AM

51 posts, read 123,555 times

Advertisements

Possibly moving to phoenix area this summer. I'm looking to rent initially and preferably in Scottsdale. I know that Scottsdale is supposed to be "nice". Are all areas of Scottsdale nice, or should I look specifically in one area over the other?

Is there only one school district in Scottsdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 AM

1,539 posts, read 4,111,237 times
Can you define what "nice" means to you?
Do you want mountain views or mature trees?
Do you want to be close to shopping or hiking trails?
Do you want to live in a recently built house or one that has proven its sturdiness over the years?
Where will you be working and how much of a commute can you endure?
Are you willing to consider other equally "nice" parts of the Phoenix Metro area?

I think you'll get better answers if you post in more detail about your needs.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:37 AM

It's difficult for me to say specifically what I'm looking for as far as mountain views etc, because I've never even been to Arizona and have no idea what it has to offer. Are there mountains there?

I have heard a lot of good things about Scottsdale though and know that it has been ranked as one of the top places to live. I would consider other areas, but I know next to nothing about my choices which is why I'm here asking questions.

I want a safe, family-friendly neighborhood, with well-built relatively new homes in a good school district.

I am happy with any information anyone can provide about neighborhood choices in the phoenix area.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 AM

1,539 posts, read 4,111,237 times
My favorite neighborhoods for families were all built up prior to 1980. I think the mature trees, central location, favorable ratio of house size to lot size, and sturdy construction outweigh any advantages of newer homes. My favorites:

Arcadia (east side of Phoenix)
North Central Phoenix (roughly Phoenix bounded by Camelback, Northern, SR51, and I-17)
McCormick Ranch (Scottsdale)
Tempe Lakes Area (Tempe south of Baseline Road)

Others can tell you about Gilbert and other suburbs with newer housing.

Regardless, a good neighborhood is no help at all if it involves a dreadful commute. For that reason, you should really focus first on where you'll be working and then look for the best options within a fixed radius of that location.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:29 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,219,624 times
They refer to this area as "The Valley of the Sun". It is a valley-between mountains. Which shocked me the first time I came here lol!

North Scottsdale. Or adjacent parts of North Phoenix. Generally stay north of Shea and east of Tatum and you will be in a very nice part of town. Lots of nice housing (tho priced accordingly), lots of retail, lots of amenities, lots of brand new construction, very clean. The only factor I am not familiar with is schooling-my son is in college.

South Scottsdale is more "iffy" (some areas good, some bad), more urban, younger. At least IMHO.

The areas identified by previous poster are "older mature with trees". This part of town generally isnt. Newer with typically desert landscaping. And second the commute-make it as short as possible.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:50 AM

19,475 posts, read 50,742,097 times
How can you possibly move somewhere that youve never even been? If you didnt even know that AZ has mountains, you REALLY need to do some research before you move.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 PM

Haha! Well, okay, I was kidding about the mountains. And I have driven through AZ when I was a kid. I grew up in San Diego. We are moving there for work and the decision is based on the job and what I know of the phoenix area based on research which I am doing as we speak (or type).

Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,345,263 times
Dew, you'll get a lot of good advice from the forum. There are people here that are experts in different areas, so you can get to know what it's like.

Since communting is a concern here, you may need to temper your location with where the job is.

Another location concern may be based on your desired price range for a home.

There are many desirable areas here, including Scottsdale, Fountain Hills Gilbert, south Chandler, south Tempe, Ahwatukee, etc. These are on the east side of Phoenix.

There are some nice areas on the west side that others will mention to you.

So unless your heart is set on Scottsdale no matter what, you may wish to consider making a decision on location based on the commute distance.

Renting first is an excellent idea.

Bill

Old 12-16-2007, 10:15 PM

128 posts, read 15,232 times
[quote=dew2773;2264863]Possibly moving to phoenix area this summer. I'm looking to rent initially and preferably in Scottsdale. I know that Scottsdale is supposed to be "nice". Are all areas of Scottsdale nice, or should I look specifically in one area over the other?

Is there only one school district in Scottsdale?[/quote

I would make sure that your job is not in the west suburbs before moving into the east. Scottsdale is a very nice town, and although pricey, has a standard of living that is really second to none in the nation. My own opinion, and the overall view from everyone, is that North Scottsdale is the better half of the city. However, that isn't to say that S. Scottsdale is bad. The term bad in Scottsdale doesn't quite have the same meaning as it does in other cities. The south end is more run down looking, but there is newer stuff going in that should help. Infact it seems that more and more people are talking about it as a really happening place. This area is much smaller compared to the rest of the city, which is one of the reasons why the norther parts get so much attention.

But even though Scottsdale is great, there are still other parts of the metro that are too. I think one of the biggest differences between Phoenix and other cities its size, is the fact that in Phoenix the suburban areas are big cities that hold upwards of 250K people in one boundary line. It can be so easy to say that Tempe holds ASU so you wouldn't want to live there. But Tempe is big, and you can't simply give one general title to a city of over a 150K thousand the same title you would to one of 30K. There are places all over the valley that remind me of Scottsdale. The only difference is that the whole city that it lies in might not be this way, compared to Scottsdale where everything normally is always exceptional.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 14,253,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
But even though Scottsdale is great, there are still other parts of the metro that are too. I think one of the biggest differences between Phoenix and other cities its size, is the fact that in Phoenix the suburban areas are big cities that hold upwards of 250K people in one boundary line. It can be so easy to say that Tempe holds ASU so you wouldn't want to live there. But Tempe is big, and you can't simply give one general title to a city of over a 150K thousand the same title you would to one of 30K. There are places all over the valley that remind me of Scottsdale. The only difference is that the whole city that it lies in might not be this way, compared to Scottsdale where everything normally is always exceptional.
That's a really good point, desert student! People often think of Tempe as just a "college" town, when really ASU and the "college town" atmosphere is just one part of Tempe. There's also a blue collar/industrial part of Tempe, a Mexican/hispanic part of Tempe, a just plain old middle class part of Tempe, and then a very wealthy part of Tempe. South Tempe (which I define as south of Guadalupe Rd) is newer and has many exclusive gated communities with million dollar homes, semi rural neighborhoods where people have horses in their backyards, and a 100% suburban atmosphere. And Tempe is actually one of the smallest municipalities in the valley, and yet it contains so much different "stuff." BTW, I think south Scottsdale is more similar to North Tempe and the ASU area than it is to the rest of Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area