Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,632 times

Advertisements

It sure feels like hell with the humidity here.

Yuck.

I loved May/June this year but July is killing me already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 12:55 PM

434 posts, read 988,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
IMO, you can't even compare a few months of hot, sunny weather to the never-ending gray, drab, frigid winters in the north and east.
wait, a few?!?

I have family in Imperial Cty, CA. I humbly differ.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
wait, a few?!?

I have family in Imperial Cty, CA. I humbly differ.
Really just a couple. July and August are the only two uncomfortable months. June is hot but it's so dry that it's fairly comfortable. September can be warm but the mornings and evenings are very nice. You're saying you'd rather have November through March of cold, gray weather?

I just went on a 5 mile hike and am now sitting by the pool after taking a dip. Yeah, this is brutal. You can't do that in Michigan in January. The point being, even during our worst months, you can still get outside and be active. The quality of life difference cannot be compared.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:38 PM

434 posts, read 988,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Really just a couple. July and August are the only two uncomfortable months. June is hot but it's so dry that it's fairly comfortable. September can be warm but the mornings and evenings are very nice. You're saying you'd rather have November through March of cold, gray weather?

I just went on a 5 mile hike and am now sitting by the pool after taking a dip. Yeah, this is brutal. You can't do that in Michigan in January. The point being, even during our worst months, you can still get outside and be active. The quality of life difference cannot be compared.
You are a tougher human than I. I find hiking in Southern California to be unpleasant in summer, anything over 80 really -- unless on the coast with a breeze. No thanks to doing it in 95+, especially if we are talking about for sake of enjoyment. I appreciate the beauty of the desert and am jealous of the summer thunderstorms, but 100 degrees is still 100 and it can hit triple digits in the VOTS, what, seven months out of the year?

Maybe not Nov.-March in Michigan but I much rather play outside when it's much cooler. If solely going by weather, I'd probably have to go for Sedona or Prescott. Not sure if I want all of Flagstaff's snow.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
You are a tougher human than I. I find hiking in Southern California to be unpleasant in summer, anything over 80 really -- unless on the coast with a breeze. No thanks to doing it in 95+, especially if we are talking about for sake of enjoyment. I appreciate the beauty of the desert and am jealous of the summer thunderstorms, but 100 degrees is still 100 and it can hit triple digits in the VOTS, what, seven months out of the year?

Maybe not Nov.-March in Michigan but I much rather play outside when it's much cooler. If solely going by weather, I'd probably have to go for Sedona or Prescott. Not sure if I want all of Flagstaff's snow.
Well of course most would take 70 degrees over 105, but I was comparing the two extremes that I've lived in and they're not even close when talking about which is more desirable. My point was, yes we have extreme heat here, but it's a walk in the park compared to the extremes that colder climates have to deal with.

I'm not near my computer to prove it but 7 months of triple digits doesn't even seem close to reality.

ETA: The average number of 100°F or higher days in Phoenix from 1896-2010: 92.

Seven months of triple digits is a far stretch from reality. So yeah, we have a few months of hot, sunny weather to deal with. Still shocked and confused?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:36 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
What happened to the dry heat everyone talks about?

Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
I was in Phoenix in the first week of May this year. Granted, I live in Mn. but, I thought I was going to suffocate from the heat - the few times I left the airconditioned area of the resort. I cannot even imagine June - September.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:47 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
What happened to the dry heat everyone talks about?
It left with May and June, just as it does every year.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:57 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
I think July has been mild so far we haven't had a good 2-3 week span of 110 with 35-40% humidity. Stoms today already starting to make a hole around the heat island see it on radar.

Last edited by kell490; 07-06-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I was in Phoenix in the first week of May this year. Granted, I live in Mn. but, I thought I was going to suffocate from the heat - the few times I left the airconditioned area of the resort. I cannot even imagine June - September.
I'm not so sure that it matters where you're from. I'm from MI and thought May and June were tolerable; quite nice actually. On the flip side, I lived with cold weather my entire life and never really acclimated. I always hated it. I think some people just do better in different climates, regardless of where they are from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area