Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 12:20 PM

13 posts, read 27,862 times

Advertisements

I have been reading many blogs on the Phoenix area but I am looking specifically for south side
Chicagoans ( including suburbanites) who have relocated to the Phoenix metro area. You know where you came from and can
give advice or opinions on what you feel would be the best place for "people like us" to retire in AZ.
LOL.

Seriously, you know the neighborhoods, crime, amenities, politics, weather, etc. in Chi town, so who
better to make comparisons?

We are "young 65 year olds" who don't want to live in a retirement community. Driving to and
from shopping is about 20 to 30 minutes for us now (that Chicago traffic). We are not rich.
Looking for a nice home under 240K in a nice area.

I'd love to hear your views on leaving "home" and how you feel about it now. Was it a mistake to move?
Are you happy in AZ? What do you dislike and miss the most? What areas do you recommend living in?
How do you really find the people in Arizona, i.e. friendly, cold, etc.?

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 06:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Hi: I didn't move from the south side but since noone else answered, I will. I lived in Schaumburg and Glen Ellyn and spent alot of time in Riverside. My daughter was in the city so I was there too.

Phoenix is gorgeous when you first get here. I was overwhelmed by the beauty. There are no rusty overpasses, crappy rusted out cars, nor dirty snow. The roads are beautiful compared to the Eisenhower or Stevenson. There aren't the green trees nor the huge fests (Grant Pk) and there are no neighborhoods like the ones in Chicago. There isn't anywhere like Glen Ellyn with its charm and Oak Park with its mansions. Alot of the homes are stucco with tile roofs and cookie cutter is the norm. Alot of beige. If you value architecture and diversity, you won't find it here.

But, there is easy access to everywhere in the area with little traffic nor hassel. You can go up to the mountains to get away from the heat in summer if you hate the heat. It can aggravate you after several years (me) and I am looking at options. I am retired but not in a retirement community. In Ocotillo we have little lakes and paddle boats and its very pretty. We also got a Portillos so you know there are tons of Chicagoans here.

Of course, the initial astonishment at the beauty does wear off and you start to take things for granted. I guess that's what happened to me. I do miss trees and green and water !
Hope this helps some. Please DM me if you have specific questions !

Old 06-29-2014, 12:38 AM

567 posts, read 787,788 times
I'm a Northsider (about a mile from Wrigleyville) who married someone from Rogers Park, and we've been here since '73. We're in the same vicinity age-wise as you.

The only things I miss about Chicago are the greening of the river on St. Patty's Day, the holiday lights on Michigan Avenue, my old temple (Temple Sholom), my old country club (Green Acres in Northbrook), Fahey Flynn (may he RIP), and Marshall Field's (ditto). I do not miss the weather, the wall-to-wall concrete, being in the middle of the country, the flat topography, or anything else. Chicago looks dirty, dirty, dirty to me. While Phoenix has bad areas like everywhere else, it's really lovely. You just get used to it.

PhxBarb was right on the money. After all these years, the heat's really bothering me, and as much as I love Phoenix, we hope to move to our second home in SoCal. I miss the cooler temps and the ocean. (I lived on LSD for many years in Chgo and obviously could see the lake. But the ocean is far more grand.)

I haven't flown into Chicago for awhile, but I always could tell when I was at O'Hare because the people were nasty. Don't know why.

People in the West tend to be more laid-back. As far as where to live, the best thing is to just come out and drive around. It really depends on what you're looking for. Each part of the Valley (aka the Valley of the Sun) is different. You could get a house near some man-made lakes for under $240k (Garden Lakes or Arrowhead Lake in the West Valley or The Lakes in the East Valley), but if I were you, I'd go to Redfin.com, and put in your financial and house size requirements.

BTW: Phoenix really is LA, Jr. in terms of traffic and pollution.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
I lived on LSD for many years in Chgo and obviously could see the lake.
Do you get flashbacks?

Old 06-29-2014, 02:16 PM

298 posts, read 750,956 times
LagunaMom:

Since you mentioned Temple Sholom, I am wondering if Phoenix is a good place for Jewish people? Are there any suburbs in "The Valley" comparable to Skokie, Evanston, and Morton Grove or is the Jewish community, if there is one at all in Phoenix, more spread out?

Are there a number of Temple's or Jewish Community Center's in "The Valley", or are they few and far between? One last question on the subject; how accepting are the people along with major employers who are non-Jewish in Phoenix towards Jewish people? I ask because in some Midwest cities, outside of Chicago, anti-semitism is so pervasive that it very sadly is the norm.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
LagunaMom:

Since you mentioned Temple Sholom, I am wondering if Phoenix is a good place for Jewish people? Are there any suburbs in "The Valley" comparable to Skokie, Evanston, and Morton Grove or is the Jewish community, if there is one at all in Phoenix, more spread out?

Are there a number of Temple's or Jewish Community Center's in "The Valley", or are they few and far between? One last question on the subject; how accepting are the people along with major employers who are non-Jewish in Phoenix towards Jewish people? I ask because in some Midwest cities, outside of Chicago, anti-semitism is so pervasive that it very sadly is the norm.
There is a large Jewish population in Scottsdale. Lots of temples, Jewish delis and a large JCC on Scottsdale Rd. The area I moved from in MI had a large Jewish population and there are times when I feel like I never left. Go to Chompies on a Sunday. Oy vey!

Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Do you get flashbacks?
LOL That's Lake Shore Drive !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area