Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Because it is the truth. Anyone coming here looking for green isn't going to be happy with what they find.
Anyone coming to a desert looking for greenery needs to have their head examined. With that said, it does exist here in certain areas of the valley. In addition to the link I posted above, check out Arcadia and other parts of central Phoenix. There are a lot of neighborhoods with lush, green lawns. I would argue that in those areas, it is far more green than the Midwest given our planting of rye grass, giving us year-round greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 08:34 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Because it is the truth. Anyone coming here looking for green isn't going to be happy with what they find.
That's your opinion. I love the desert and find it far more interesting and engaging than any green I have seen in the eastern US. In fact, what I notice is that all the trees obstruct the view. I get a chuckle out of what passes for a "scenic view" while driving in the east: a bunch of tree tops with a hazy view of more treetops in visibility of about 5 miles.

It's not all about all green all the time, and the OP did not say it was. When the desert greens up in a wet winter, it is true eye candy for me because of the stark difference. Unfortunately for you, I think, from your recent posts, you are off on the wrong foot with what to expect and will never be able to enjoy your new home. It's too bad. The Sonoran desert is a truly unique ecosystem with flora and fauna found no where else in the world. It is a fascinating place to explore and can put a hold on one that is difficult to shake and can fascinate for a lifetime. But that won't happen if you want to it be "Chicago".

Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
That was my point exactly and I believe that is why they didn't get a text book answer at first. My first thought was, "Is this a trick question?"
The amount of green we get gets greener to us the longer we live in Phoenix. Winter or no winter, I find it hard to believe someone from the midwest or east will find us green, even at our peak or with man made green features. It just seems unbelievable. Of course there is room for error in my judgement but I've had the "green" discussions for years and found this to be true 99% of the time.

When I went to TN, I almost died from "green shock" seriously. I had no idea an area could be so green.

My usual reply is go up North. I'm here because I like the open skies, desert and heat. But, it's not for everyone.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 AM

487 posts, read 748,564 times
Quote:
... followed by the month or so of ugly oranges and reds and yellows as the leaves change (mid Sept-Oct)
I don't care for Midwest weather, and I'm not a great fan of autumn because of what follows it, but describing the beautiful colors of autumn as ugly is very peculiar. I don't think I've EVER heard anyone describe autumn leaves as ugly.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Anyone coming to a desert looking for greenery needs to have their head examined. With that said, it does exist here in certain areas of the valley. In addition to the link I posted above, check out Arcadia and other parts of central Phoenix. There are a lot of neighborhoods with lush, green lawns. I would argue that in those areas, it is far more green than the Midwest given our planting of rye grass, giving us year-round greenery.
The grass that grows here is not the same as "real" lush grass that is grown in wetter climates. It's not pleasant to walk on with shoes off.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That's your opinion. I love the desert and find it far more interesting and engaging than any green I have seen in the eastern US. In fact, what I notice is that all the trees obstruct the view. I get a chuckle out of what passes for a "scenic view" while driving in the east: a bunch of tree tops with a hazy view of more treetops in visibility of about 5 miles.

It's not all about all green all the time, and the OP did not say it was. When the desert greens up in a wet winter, it is true eye candy for me because of the stark difference. Unfortunately for you, I think, from your recent posts, you are off on the wrong foot with what to expect and will never be able to enjoy your new home. It's too bad. The Sonoran desert is a truly unique ecosystem with flora and fauna found no where else in the world. It is a fascinating place to explore and can put a hold on one that is difficult to shake and can fascinate for a lifetime. But that won't happen if you want to it be "Chicago".
I've never said I didn't find the desert beautiful and interesting. I felt drawn to it the first time I saw it almost 4 years ago, and it started my quest to move. I just said it isn't green, which is the truth. I think trying to grow grass here is futile and a waste of water. It's not the midwest. It's the desert and it is not green.

I certainly don't want anything to be Chicago.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
The grass that grows here is not the same as "real" lush grass that is grown in wetter climates. It's not pleasant to walk on with shoes off.
Is it not green?

You must have never walked on our winter grass (rye) then. It's like walking on strands of Egyptian cotton compared to the stuff that grows for half the year up north (and is then brown for the other half of the year).

Quote:
I think trying to grow grass here is futile and a waste of water. It's not the midwest. It's the desert and it is not green.
Don't you live in an apartment? How would you know about growing grass here? My grass looks great and is hardly futile considering it radiates far less heat than a rock yard would. With proper care, grass grows here just fine.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:04 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
At least you don't get ticks and chigger bites walking on it.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Is it not green?

You must have never walked on our winter grass (rye) then. It's like walking on strands of Egyptian cotton compared to the stuff that grows for half the year up north (and is then brown for the other half of the year).

Don't you live in an apartment? How would you know about growing grass here? My grass looks great and is hardly futile considering it radiates far less heat than a rock yard would. With proper care, grass grows here just fine.
It is green, but it is not soft. Yes I have walked on it,

I live in an apartment with a fenced in yard.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
At least you don't get ticks and chigger bites walking on it.
It's not like we don't have scorpions and killer bees to look out for.
I don't think this is a contest. Phoenix won't be green to most transplants, and some like that it isn't.. Out of all the cities in the nation, I'd say we are at the bottom for "green" and that's just how it is. Doesn't mean it's ugly, some of it's beautiful. But, it is what it is. It makes us unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area