Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I guess we'll need the OP to clarify what they want to know. Most people have this brown, drab image of Phoenix and it couldn't be further from the truth, despite the fact that people are the ones who 'greened' in up.

It doesn't matter what the area was or what type of environment it was built in, what I stated is what it IS now. Look out from any high-point and you see green treetops more than anything. Just because they were put there doesn't make them any less part of the current landscape.
Sure but that view doesn't change throughout the year, you can always see the green treetops, green golf courses, green master planned communities, etc. so that isn't answering the OP's question. The months when there are more natural desert plants alive and "green" and changes the view you're talking about, would be the answer to the question.

Posting pictures of the artificial greenery isn't a proper way to answer the OP's question.

If a person wanted to know the "snowiest" months in Flagstaff you wouldn't post pictures of the artificial snow at Snowbowl to answer the question, you'd post pictures of the natural snow the area gets.

The picture Ponderosa posted is a better example of "greener", unfortunately that isn't seen much in the valley.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 11:40 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,379,452 times
Deleted post

Old 07-10-2014, 11:41 AM

768 posts, read 1,759,505 times
Drought: Water levels at Nevada's Lake Mead drop to new low - Washington Times

Will the debate over "green" (natural or faux) even be relevant in another year or two?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Sure but that view doesn't change throughout the year, you can always see the green treetops, green golf courses, green master planned communities, etc. so that isn't answering the OP's question. The months when there are more natural desert plants alive and "green" and changes the view you're talking about, would be the answer to the question.

Posting pictures of the artificial greenery isn't a proper way to answer the OP's question.

If a person wanted to know the "snowiest" months in Flagstaff you wouldn't post pictures of the artificial snow at Snowbowl to answer the question, you'd post pictures of the natural snow the area gets.
The answer would be, it's pretty much the same level of greenness year-round because most of the plants that make up our landscape are evergreens and we plant winter grass. When I read a question regarding "the Phoenix area" I don't think of desert scrub bushes and cacti. If he wanted to know about the Sonoran desert outside of Phoenix, he likely would have specified that.

Either way, OP, the Phoenix area is pretty much the same level of green year-round. Outside of the Phoenix area, in the open desert, Spring tends to be slightly greener.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Drought: Water levels at Nevada's Lake Mead drop to new low - Washington Times

Will the debate over "green" (natural or faux) even be relevant in another year or two?
Not to get off topic but that story is slanted for what it fails to say. The Colorado R. watershed had above normal snow pack and runoff this season and there are no shortages or restrictions in sight for the next two years at least. Beyond that, we never know. But, signs are pointing to an El Nino year which, historically, is good water news for the southwest.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM

266 posts, read 286,523 times
The greenest months in Phoenix are usually the winter months of December, January, February, and March, which is the wettest season of the year.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
I think you have to appreciate the natural green and what it goes thru to exist, to be able to 'see' the green. I'm not saying it right, but an example might help - I live in ABQ. We're far more brown than PHX is (at least PHX residents plant flowers!) but in the summer, the foothills and wild areas become green, even the ones no where near the bosque. No, not lush tropical green like FL, but green nonetheless. And every year it awes and amazes me, because those wild green areas don't get drip irrigation or man-made watering, they have to survive on whatever snow we might have received over the winter (most years zilch), what little rain we get during the monsoon season, and probably the random humid day. Basically, not much. But somehow, the green manages to grow, year after year after year. And I'm not talking trees, either. Groundcover, wild grass (don't know the name), desert shrubs (sage maybe?). Amazing what nature overcomes to exist.

In PHX, you have it even better. In addition to some of the same natural green we have, you have more flowering cactus than we do, so your desert blooms in techno-color when the spring and summer rains hit. I remember that as a kid, growing up in PHX and it took me years to figure out why I didn't see it here (no blooming cactus to speak of).

Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 AM

487 posts, read 748,564 times
I noticed that in ABQ too, Yukon. VERY brown. In comparison, Phoenix is quite colorful. I still kind of wish they didn't embrace the brown quite so much in their housing color choices though...

Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
Just about any month can be green in Phoenix.

All that's needed is a grass lawn, shadetrees, and some shrubbery.

Not everywhere has to have sand, gravel, and cactus for landscape.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Just about any month can be green in Phoenix.

All that's needed is a grass lawn, shadetrees, and some shrubbery.

Not everywhere has to have sand, gravel, and cactus for landscape.
And thats the reason why the rivers and lakes are drying up. Too many idiots moving here and planting non-native flora that require too much dang water. Pointless waste of precious resources! If I were in charge of this city, Id fine everyone who has grass, oversized pools, etc. If you dont like the desert, then dont move here and try and change it into something its not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area