Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times

Advertisements

Another take on our experience living out here.

I think the best way to experience a city/region is to live in it for a while to know if it's really for you and certainly renting is a good option. I think many people get "vacation-itis" when they visit a place, want to move right away with doing very little research, and those are the people that often tend to say "I hate this place!" after a short time of moving here and leave. They never did their due-diligence on the weather and region. Then again, there are people like my wife and I who 1st saw the low-desert years ago and knew this is where we wanted to live and that hasn't faded a bit. We have lived here full-time for over 5 years and visiting the phoenix region and other low desert areas like Palm Springs for many years before that and still love it here/the low-desert, heat and all. And the variety of different climate zones within a few hour drive of Phoenix is staggering that only few places in the world can enjoy so easily.

For activities in the daylight hours during the summer, I think most people who are healthy/in good shape would agree that most early morning hours in the summer are comfortable to do activities. And some nuts like me still love the mid-day heat even though some people on this board comment that such people like us don't exist/we are kidding ourselves. Even though we had many options on where to live and that includes the cooler CA coast, that region is too cool for us weather wise and frankly way too crowded for our taste. Nice to visit in small doses, but we are happy to leave back to the heat/look of the desert.

But I can't stress this enough....experience it for yourself and trust what you like. You'll find a gamut of people on this board like us who truly love it here to people who say they hate it yet for whatever reason(s) yet still live here. I think life is way too short to be living in a place where one is unhappy though many seem to disagree with that point and will come up with many reasons to justify it. Good to get views but your view is far more important than any of our jaded views and that can only come from living in a place for a while.

Good luck with your choice and if you end up living out here, I hope you find it as enjoyable as we have over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 PM

107 posts, read 157,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
This is what I thought when I saw his post. L.A. has a lot of palm trees! They're everywhere. The weather is far better. The topography is also better. There are hills and canyons and huge mountains. The culture and nightlife of L.A. is infinitely better than anything in Phoenix.

By "nightlife" you mean bars and drunks?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:35 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
yall stop bickering and tell me what sucks about phoenix
Everything. Even Tucson is better.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catavenger View Post
By "nightlife" you mean bars and drunks?

hehehe....that's what I was thinkin'. oh, but perhaps it's "cultured" drunkenness?!?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
yall stop bickering and tell me what sucks about phoenix
With comments like his, I think the guy is just rousing people up/acting like a troll.

Shhhh....perhaps if we ignore him, me included, he'll just go away....shhhhh.....

Old 07-12-2014, 03:44 PM

610 posts, read 699,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
This is what I thought when I saw his post. L.A. has a lot of palm trees! They're everywhere. The weather is far better. The topography is also better. There are hills and canyons and huge mountains. The culture and nightlife of L.A. is infinitely better than anything in Phoenix. Phoenix is just a big boring dusty suburbia.
i never said 110 was comfortable. i was a sweaty sticky mess after that. but damn was the warm weather great. as for LA... never been. but i like the desert and i love guns and its hella expensive so idk about all that haha

Old 07-12-2014, 03:49 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
With comments like his, I think the guy is just rousing people up/acting like a troll.

Shhhh....perhaps if we ignore him, me included, he'll just go away....shhhhh.....

He's just a college kid. No life experience to form a informed opinion.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:01 PM

610 posts, read 699,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
He's just a college kid. No life experience to form a informed opinion.
lol what are you talking about? im WISH i was still in college. and no life experience? who the hell are you to say anything about aomeone drom whom you have read some forum posts? i just started the thread to try an get someone to bring me down to earth about phoenix and two people started fighting about whether cali being liberal or az being conservative was worse... which had nothing to do with my original question. clearly, this indicates that i am not only young and inexperienxed, but also in college.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I had a different opinion on Phoenix and I've been there two times. I thought it was not that great.

First of all, there are 4.3 million people living in the metro area, which is way overpopulated.
This has to be one of the least informed and intelligent comments I've read on here in a long time. Phoenix is one of the least dense cities in the United States. And for the amount of land that it occupies, it could easily accomodate many more people. There are far more cities that accomodate more people and are smaller than Phoenix. I have no idea how you came to this conclusion. Obviously you have not traveled to many other cities in the United States if you came to this conclusion. There are so many more cities that are more densely populated and crammed. I live in the Miami metro and that is truly congested. The entire city is developed. There isn't enough parking. There are long lines everywhere because there are too many people that live here. To illustrate how off your comment is, the area of Phoenix(517 sq miles) is larger than Los Angeles (502 sq miles) yet L.A. is over twice as large in terms of population.

Quote:
There is a term that I came up with to describe places like Phoenix. The term is "giant flat congested heat grid."
The city is surrounded by mountains hence the term "Valley" so it's anything but flat. And the only redeeming quality of Connecticut is that you can claim it's nicer than New Jersey. Both are just glorified suburbs of NYC that have nothing to offer on their own except that they are cold and boring. That's why everyone from your state moves to Phoenix but you don't see people from Phoenix choosing to move to Conn.

Quote:
Way too many Mexicans and the summer is 4 months of extremely uncomfortable heat.
Yes, there are a lot of Mexicans in Phoenix. I am Mexican American and find your statement to be racist. But then again, this is why I hate places like Jersey and Conn, there are too many trashy meatheads whose accents make them sound like cave men.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-12-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
hehehe....that's what I was thinkin'. oh, but perhaps it's "cultured" drunkenness?!?
Um no. Culture as in lots of ethnic neighborhoods and restaurants to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area