Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I think a lackluster atmosphere hurts the D-backs a bit. Baseball in a dome just isn't right. It's a shame because, given the climate, it's out of their control. This season I went to two baseball games: D-backs v Tigers last week and a Bisbee Blue game down at Warren Ballpark. I enjoyed the experience down in Bisbee more than I did watching my favorite team (and finally getting to see Verlander pitch) at Chase.
I once went to a game in the Astrodome. Although I prefer it when the roof at Chase is open, it is a whole lot less dome-like even when it is closed. The Astrodome seemed much more like a larger version of a basketball arena. The grass makes a difference and just knowing that the roof and panels CAN open does something for the experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:44 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I once went to a game in the Astrodome. Although I prefer it when the roof at Chase is open, it is a whole lot less dome-like even when it is closed. The Astrodome seemed much more like a larger version of a basketball arena. The grass makes a difference and just knowing that the roof and panels CAN open does something for the experience.
Never been nor do I wish to offend anyone from Houston but I hear the Astrodome is/was the pits.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times
I saw a Dbacks game earlier this year against the Phillies with the roof open. It was fricking awesome with the roof open and a decent crowd that night too.

I'll be going to two games next week with the roof likely closed and undoubtedly less fans. It might be a different experience.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Anyone know what time the gates open for a Dbacks game that starts at 6:40?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
According to the Chase Field website gates open 1.5 hours before games held Mon-Thurs and 2 hours before game Fri-Sun.

After reading about the game last night, I may have to walk or rail down to the ballpark. Might be an interesting game today.

Last edited by Bondurant; 08-03-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
The Royals will start batting practice at 5, you can get in at 5:10. If you happened to buy your tickets from a season ticketholder and have the actual colored season tickets you can get in 30 minutes earlier than that at Gate B.

Old 08-03-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
According to the Chase Field website gates open 1.5 hours before games held Mon-Thurs and 2 hours before game Fri-Sun.

After reading about the game last night, I may have to walk or rail down to the ballpark. Might be an interesting game today.
Thanks.

Should be interesting. I like McCutchen, he's a good player and a good person. But that's baseball and most every team would have come back and hit someone important after a guy like Goldschmidt goes down. However, the dbacks being so bad at baseball, missed hitting him multiple times before the pitch that finally got him. That's terrible. You also deserve to be suspended for doing this though even if you feel it's justified.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Should be interesting. I like McCutchen, he's a good player and a good person. But that's baseball and most every team would have come back and hit someone important after a guy like Goldschmidt goes down. However, the dbacks being so bad at baseball, missed hitting him multiple times before the pitch that finally got him. That's terrible. You also deserve to be suspended for doing this though even if you feel it's justified.
What is comical is when Rodger Clemens hit Mike Piazza in the head. The Mets didn't retaliate and Piazza's teammates were called out by the national media for being soft. Fast Foward 13 years later and Kevin Towers is criticized for telling his players to do just that. It shows how fickle the media is and how they will take any angle to sell a story.

Personally, I think pitchers have to retaliate. You cannot protect players if the opposing team feels you will do nothing. Then they have nothing to lose to pitch and injure your best player. A 3-4 game suspensions means nothing. It essentially results in one lost start. If it happens enough, teams will know you can't bean the D-backs without retaliation.
Quote:
I think a lackluster atmosphere hurts the D-backs a bit. Baseball in a dome just isn't right. It's a shame because, given the climate, it's out of their control. This season I went to two baseball games: D-backs v Tigers last week and a Bisbee Blue game down at Warren Ballpark. I enjoyed the experience down in Bisbee more than I did watching my favorite team (and finally getting to see Verlander pitch) at Chase.
That has nothing to do with it. If anything, the atmosphere is a selling point. The real problem is a lack of trust. Trust has been eroded. The front office including the owner and Derrick Hall have completely decimated this team with sheer incompetence. I would not reward that behavior with renewing season tickets. Until the fans send a strong message to the owner to revamp his front office, more of the same will occur ie (hit them in the wallet). Even the latest trades of Prado and Parra resulted in very little in return. They shaved salary. This is going to be a terrible for the next 2 years. It's going to take 2 years to acquire and refill talent. If you are thinking about buying season tickets, wait until the 2016 season. It's not worth watching them basically tear apart the team for the next 2 years.

The local media also needs to be held accountable. They supported the Justin Upton trade and have since not really criticized the organization or themselves for lauding this trade. The local media needs to start doing their job instead of kissing up to the organization and supporting every trade they do.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 08-04-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area