Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,221,448 times

Advertisements

Don't let you being black (racism) or gangs stop you from the move. Neither are a concern here and the information you found isn't accurate.

The heat, dirty/dusty air, and lack of greenery and water are what you should be weighing. Those are the things most people struggle with when they get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:55 PM

60 posts, read 119,197 times
I'm from the east coast - gangs and racism are much more prevalent there than here, IMO.
We've been living here for 5 years and haven't encountered an issue at all with gangs...and I have seen many interracial couples and personally know a few - they dont complain about any outright racism...
I suppose anywhere you go you will find people who are racist but as a whole, no I would not classify Phoenix as a racist place, not the way I would the east/south east.

Like LBTRS mentioned, there are other things you should be considering...

Good luck to you.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:22 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
You and your wife will be fine. Internet statistics can't give you the actual vibe or feel of a place. I thought this was the interracial capital of the country when I first moved here. You will fit right in.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 AM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
I'm white, my girlfriend is half black and half white, and we have an 8 month old. She is always worried about racism because she looks different compared to everyone else (90% white around here, compared to only 45% white back home), but we haven't encountered any such thing. People are as nice as can be, and we get nothing but comments about how cute our kid is.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
You haven't been doing much research here on this site or you would have seen that Phoenix is probably the best city in the US for black people and especially interracial families to live in terms of racial acceptance, tolerance etc. It's not a perfect world, but it doesn't get much better than this. We are an interracial (b/w) family and live in Goodyear. Been in Phx area for years and years without a single incident of anything. My kids are happy, accepted, doing well and hardly the only mixed kids in school. Relax. You are going to be very pleasantly surprised. The prejudice level - from both sides - here is many times lower than in the east or midwest.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-14-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 09:16 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytomove2011 View Post
I'm up for promotion and will possibly be relocating from Northern VA to Phoenix. Of course I'm putting in extensive research before I make a decision and I see lots of stuff about the area that appeals to me. However one theme stands out to me. Gangs and racist groups seem prevelant in the area. I'm black, my wife is white and we have two boys 6 and 3 years old. I know racism exists everywhere and I am politically fairly conservative and not thin skinned or hypersensitive but some of the stuff I have seen is a bit disturbing. I don't want to move my family to a place to be a target of violence or hatred. I grew up in the deep south but the issues I've seen on the net make me wary of Arizona in general so I figured I'd ask the experts who actually live there. Is it really that prevelant or am I falling victim to google exaggeration. Any help would be appreciated.
I have been here 8 months and have had zero issues with any of this. You should be fine. If anyone has an issue with your interracial relationship, that is their problem, of course, not yours.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 AM

18 posts, read 28,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
South 55th Avenue?

What is the cross street - somewhere around Baseline?

If so, look into Goodyear - the schools North of I-10 on the whole rate better than south (Litchfield District v Avondale District), but typically aren't bad - could have a pretty easy non-freeway commute as well
Looking at the map it's between 51st and 59th near west lower buckeye. A few blocks east of Sierra Linda High School. I would just tell you where I work but my company is kinda funny about listing their name on the internet so I'm being a bit cryptic. It looks to be just south of I-10 and west of 17. I don't mind a bit of a commute to live in the right area. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM

18 posts, read 28,489 times
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Definitely some great information. All of the help is greatly appreciated..

Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM

24 posts, read 49,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

The only thing a mixed couple need to fear is conservatives...and they are much more prevalent in Phoenix than gangbangers. There is however a special out for Black conservatives.

WOW, stereotype much?!
Where do comments like this even come from? Looks like someones been watching too much MSNBC, or jon stewart.....

Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytomove2011 View Post
Looking at the map it's between 51st and 59th near west lower buckeye. A few blocks east of Sierra Linda High School. I would just tell you where I work but my company is kinda funny about listing their name on the internet so I'm being a bit cryptic. It looks to be just south of I-10 and west of 17. I don't mind a bit of a commute to live in the right area. Thanks for the info.
I would not move to the area near your work if you don't have to. Look at Goodyear, to the west a bit, but certainly reasonable for a commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area