Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 11:58 AM

755 posts, read 1,116,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I think you mean a "hatred" for illegal immigration. Their race or ethnicity has nothing to do with it. I enjoy the Hispanic culture of the southwest and the LEGAL Hispanic people that have resided here long before I got here. I bet most of the "large and mostly conservative majority in Maricopa County" feel the same way.

I would feel the same way about illegal immigration if it was Germans, Swedes, Chinese, etc. illegally crossing the border.

It makes a better talking point for the left to turn it into a racial issue though.
What LBTRS said. As always, succintly.

As I mentioned, illegal immigration is something you will get an earful on only if you ask--and in my experience in Phoenix, an issue that makes a lot of people who I would otherwise not think of as "conservative" vote that way. Characterizing it as "racism" prevents any rational discussion of the problem by cutting the legs off of one group's point of view...convenient!!

It is an issue one hears a lot about in Phoenix, but I don't think it has much to do with the OP's concerns.

Thank God it's not Swedes though. You know how they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,762,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I think you mean a "hatred" for illegal immigration. Their race or ethnicity has nothing to do with it. I enjoy the Hispanic culture of the southwest and the LEGAL Hispanic people that have resided here long before I got here. I bet most of the "large and mostly conservative majority in Maricopa County" feel the same way.

I would feel the same way about illegal immigration if it was Germans, Swedes, Chinese, etc. illegally crossing the border.

It makes a better talking point for the left to turn it into a racial issue though.
No I don't. And if you live in Phoenix you know better. The County Sheriff profiles Hispanics not illegals...and when they dragnet they hassle all the legals including the US born for being Hispanic.

The local custom is to swear up and down that it is only illegals are disliked while in fact despising all of that ethnic group.

No compunction about hiring them though. Check the ethnicity of the gardeners in Scottsdale.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM

18 posts, read 28,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfritodude View Post
My wife and I and three kids will be moving from Northern VA to Phoenix as well, in mid August. We have visited three times and love it. I think you will find people in the West so much more friendly than the East. I grew up in the West and have waited years to return. Finally grew tired of the winters, and the terrible pace of NoVa, and the self-centeredness of the people in this area.
Most of NoVa is rather affluent, the likes of which only parts of Phoenix can seem to compare. Certainly you will want to avoid the higher crime areas, if possible.

We live in Front Royal, but I commute and work all over NoVa, in Manassas, Woodbridge, Fairfax, etc.
I would say there is a lot more racist, or racially bent, people in this area than I have ever encountered out West. More of a 'live and let live' attitude out there, which i personally think still stems from some of the pioneering spirit of the original groups of Americans that started to venture out west.

Hope you enjoy it!
Small world my friend I currently live in Harrisonburg, thanks for all of the information.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:28 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,311,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
No I don't. And if you live in Phoenix you know better. The County Sheriff profiles Hispanics not illegals...and when they dragnet they hassle all the legals including the US born for being Hispanic.

The local custom is to swear up and down that it is only illegals are disliked while in fact despising all of that ethnic group.

No compunction about hiring them though. Check the ethnicity of the gardeners in Scottsdale.

The locals know better than your overgeneralizations, too, but that's for another thread.
Since this thread has NOTHING to do with Hispanics or immigration, legal or illegal, let's get off that topic and back to the OP's original question.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:09 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,642,126 times
Come on. You live in Harrisonburg, VA. Compared to rural Virginia you have nothing to worry about. I lived there, and the I-81 corridor is hardly a hit parade of diversity...

The following, although based on your 90% relocation to Evansville, is where I think you'll run into some challenges with Phoenix. I'd be much more worried about this, than worrying about diversity, racism, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytomove2011 View Post
There is a 90% chance I'll be moving to Evansville within the next month or so...
I'm looking to rent a nice single family home, townhome, or duplex for hopefully under a $1,000 in a low crime area that is safe for the wife and kids for outside walks and play. All of that hopefully in a good school district.
That's going to be a tall order.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM

18 posts, read 28,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Come on. You live in Harrisonburg, VA. Compared to rural Virginia you have nothing to worry about. I lived there, and the I-81 corridor is hardly a hit parade of diversity...

The following, although based on your 90% relocation to Evansville, is where I think you'll run into some challenges with Phoenix. I'd be much more worried about this, than worrying about diversity, racism, etc.

That's going to be a tall order.
Yeah, the 90% was driven down when the opportunity in Phoenix presented itself. I'm more flexible with price and such than I stated however in Evansville that price point is realistic. That being said what am I looking at for the same things in Phoenix, and I'm not closed off to an apartment either we'd just like to rent awhile and get the lay of the land before we purchase anything. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:30 PM

8,247 posts, read 8,596,826 times
Quote:

Check the ethnicity of the people that work for Sheriff Joe. I sure seem to see quite a few Hispanic names.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,952,704 times
Quote:
Let me be blunt as you will accept nothing less. There is a large and mostly conservative majority in Maricopa County that has obvious and enforced hatred for Hispanics. You decide if it is racial or ethnic but it is real. All rolled up in Joe Arpaio.
Sure. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM

397 posts, read 657,936 times
Supposedly gang presence in Arizona is a lot less than other nearby states...

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/map-sho...203347709.html

Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,260,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readytomove2011 View Post
I'm up for promotion and will possibly be relocating from Northern VA to Phoenix. Of course I'm putting in extensive research before I make a decision and I see lots of stuff about the area that appeals to me. However one theme stands out to me. Gangs and racist groups seem prevelant in the area. I'm black, my wife is white and we have two boys 6 and 3 years old. I know racism exists everywhere and I am politically fairly conservative and not thin skinned or hypersensitive but some of the stuff I have seen is a bit disturbing. I don't want to move my family to a place to be a target of violence or hatred. I grew up in the deep south but the issues I've seen on the net make me wary of Arizona in general so I figured I'd ask the experts who actually live there. Is it really that prevelant or am I falling victim to google exaggeration. Any help would be appreciated.
(Mod cut- personal). There is not a lot of racism about Phoenix on the net It's just lazy to perceive anti-immigration sentiment as racism toward all people. Those are totally different issues and the issue in Phoenix is more political than racial. And in my experience, a lot of the people who are pro immigration reform are African Americans in the Valley. Also, you're from the Deep South, compared to that place, Phoenix feels like NYC.

I see a lot of mixed race couples and no one flinches here. It's not a big deal. But I remember in places like Dallas, Atlanta, New Orleans and Houston mixed race couplers were a big deal and people particularly women in those areas did not date outside their race. Even if someone wasn't being racist, it just piqued their interest. I'm Mexican American and my wife is White. I've never experienced any type of racism here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I know this is comical The OP acts like he is moving from D.C. No one coming from a conservative rural area should be starting this thread

Last edited by observer53; 07-14-2014 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area