Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times

Advertisements

You should keep looking now. Even if you do fall in love with a property, it could be a short sale. Those take anywhere from a couple of months to a year or more depending on the transaction and the lender involved. Don't limit yourself, your perfect home could be anywhere and at anytime. The details of your lease at any moment are minor compared to your finding the right "home". It will work out if you want it to. I can appreciate your concern for your wonderful landlord, but the rental market is still strong and if he is as good as you say and the rental is in good shape too, he will have no problem finding new tenants quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 01:47 AM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Landlords like everyone else are in business to make money. If they're any good at it they will always listen to a proposal though they might not always agree. Personally I'd be impressed with someone who was upfront and honest instead of sneaking around or using some other guaranteed lease breaking methods (there are a few).
Never hurts to try right?
One of my tenants was on a month-to-month lease. They suddenly gave their 30-day notice and were planning to buy a home but at the last minute the deal fell through. This was around March which is a good time to find new tenants so I gave the tenants 60-days notice and they countered by asking for a 1-year lease.

I explained to my PM if they signed a 1-year lease I wanted it understood if they break the lease they forfeit their entire deposit (1.5 rent.)

Now, I understand how difficult it is to buy property and realize the tenants will do what is best for them.

However, I don't want to get stuck having to find new tenants at a time of the year not advantageous for me so if the lease is broken I would like to be compensated.

The tenants tried not to have me alter the terms of their rental agreement by insisting they have no plans to suddenly leave.

And while that might well be true I have learned to make sure everything is clearly spelled out so their are no misunderstandings.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 AM

194 posts, read 291,949 times
Private message me Info about your rental. We're moving to the area and could maybe take over your lease for you

Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
One of my tenants was on a month-to-month lease. They suddenly gave their 30-day notice and were planning to buy a home but at the last minute the deal fell through. This was around March which is a good time to find new tenants so I gave the tenants 60-days notice and they countered by asking for a 1-year lease.

I explained to my PM if they signed a 1-year lease I wanted it understood if they break the lease they forfeit their entire deposit (1.5 rent.)

Now, I understand how difficult it is to buy property and realize the tenants will do what is best for them.

However, I don't want to get stuck having to find new tenants at a time of the year not advantageous for me so if the lease is broken I would like to be compensated.

The tenants tried not to have me alter the terms of their rental agreement by insisting they have no plans to suddenly leave.

And while that might well be true I have learned to make sure everything is clearly spelled out so their are no misunderstandings.
As you indicate which confirms my opinion that it's just business on both sides (or should be if one decides to be a landlord).
I think you were smart to make it crystal clear their "buyout" or loss of deposit would certainly occur if they decided to move again.
I would guess that they're trying to hedge their bets and have a stable place to call home unless they find another (again).
Is 1.5 months rent enough to cover lost rent in the current market? Just wondering...

Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
....Is 1.5 months rent enough to cover lost rent in the current market? Just wondering...
They are good tenants and likely will get most their deposit refunded when their lease is up.

However, if they suddenly break the lease in say Nov-Jan. it will be more difficult to find a replacement than in the Spring. Forfeiting their 1.5 month deposit is fair.

They are the one's who insisted on a month to month lease when their original lease expired a few years ago.

Then out of the blue this spring they said they would be leaving in three weeks.

Me? I've already got on home on the market and this pops up? Fine. That's the way it sometimes goes.

But after the property was listed they suddenly changed their mind at the end of the month and wanted to stay.

I told my PM I would give them 60-days notice because I didn't want to get stuck finding new tenants in the winter months should they go.

The tenaets said they have no intentions of breaking the lease but realistically I know if they find the right house they will likely leave. In which case 1.5 months rent compensation is what I want.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 PM

240 posts, read 348,277 times
Thanks for all the replies! our landlord is being great with us, once we find a house we just need to let him know so he can start looking for a new tentant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area