Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:33 PM

268 posts, read 430,643 times
Just vist. You can analyze things all day long, but you'll know when you come here.

Some people have had trouble finding their groove here, others love it. If you have a friend with other young, career-oriented friends then that's half the battle.

As far as being mired in suburbia, Scottsdale is a suburb FYI. 90% of the Valley is.

The thing is, coming from a small town, you may very well find that Phoenix offers everything you want.

I'm 32, married, highly ambitious, and can't wait to leave. For what it's worth. Others clearly feel differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:15 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Having been here since I was 16 (in my 40s now) there has always been something to do here and PLENTY of young professionals. Yes, the job market may be a little thin is some areas but there is opportunity out there for those that want to make the Valley their home. When I was in my 20s we had NO PROBLEM getting into trouble .

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 PM

44 posts, read 53,545 times
PHX/Tempe is a good place to be for mid 20's young professionals. Especially over the next few years. Lots of exciting new development and companies hiring here. There's plenty to do in the area. You will be amazed coming from a small town at the amount of stuff here (shops, mountains, parks, people, roads, cars, dirt). If you can find a good paying job and turn it into a career you'll like it here. Glad I made the move.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 AM

76 posts, read 112,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyButtons View Post
PHX/Tempe is a good place to be for mid 20's young professionals. Especially over the next few years. Lots of exciting new development and companies hiring here. There's plenty to do in the area. You will be amazed coming from a small town at the amount of stuff here (shops, mountains, parks, people, roads, cars, dirt). If you can find a good paying job and turn it into a career you'll like it here. Glad I made the move.
Why thank you! I'm an outdoors junkie so I have been reassured that I will be able to find biking and hiking activities. I don't want to be in debt like most of my peers who will be putting their paychecks all toward a rent. I'm also very interested in a master's degree program at ASU. I'm networking a lot and making lots of connections through social media, linkedin, etc.

What it seems so far is that some (not all) companies are discriminating against me because I am from out of state. I always get "Are you in Phoenix now?" Some job applications thankfully do not ask for an address.

Does anyone have any suggestions to push harder and convince them I will move? Everyone says make sure to find a job before moving there, but its seems impossible if I'm not there already. I basically have to tell them I have no commitments here at home and I can pick up and leave extremely fast. It was also suggested to write in my cover letter that I can fly out for an interview if the opportunity arises.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM

572 posts, read 1,684,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
Why thank you! I'm an outdoors junkie so I have been reassured that I will be able to find biking and hiking activities. I don't want to be in debt like most of my peers who will be putting their paychecks all toward a rent. I'm also very interested in a master's degree program at ASU. I'm networking a lot and making lots of connections through social media, linkedin, etc.

What it seems so far is that some (not all) companies are discriminating against me because I am from out of state. I always get "Are you in Phoenix now?" Some job applications thankfully do not ask for an address.

Does anyone have any suggestions to push harder and convince them I will move? Everyone says make sure to find a job before moving there, but its seems impossible if I'm not there already. I basically have to tell them I have no commitments here at home and I can pick up and leave extremely fast. It was also suggested to write in my cover letter that I can fly out for an interview if the opportunity arises.
This is EXACTLY the same problem that we are running into, unfortunately. My partner and I both work in healthcare, for one of the top hospitals in the country (which you think would be am instant ticket, but it's not), and all we've gotten is "thanks, but we're pursuing other applicants" (read as: we're going with someone local). Unfortunately, we don't have the finances available to move out there with no employment, so we have to keep hoping that someone will nibble eventually.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post

Unfortunately it's pretty common for employers to ask about location, it happened to me 18 years ago when I was applying for a job before I officially moved here.

If an interviewer asks if you're in Phoenix now your answer should be that you are sitting right here face to face so it's pretty evident I'm in Phoenix now.

You might lose some points but an obvious question deserves an obvious answer.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:28 PM

268 posts, read 430,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Unfortunately it's pretty common for employers to ask about location, it happened to me 18 years ago when I was applying for a job before I officially moved here.

If an interviewer asks if you're in Phoenix now your answer should be that you are sitting right here face to face so it's pretty evident I'm in Phoenix now.

You might lose some points but an obvious question deserves an obvious answer.
That's hilarious but I wouldn't recommend that as an answer at all. Do you want the job?

Old 08-08-2014, 03:09 PM

I've actually updated my resume to remove my address altogether. After doing a bunch of research on the topic, common consensus is that it is becoming more and more acceptable to leave the address off, especially when one is job searching in a different location. What you can also do (and what I did) is on the top of the resume, have your name, phone number/e-mail, and then something like "Relocating to the Greater Phoenix area in September 2014 (or whenever you plan to move). It may or may not, in your situation, mention in your cover letter that you will be in town on "x" dates, and would love the opportunity to meet to discuss how you would be an asset to their company (yeah, can you tell I've written a lot of these over the years, LOL!)

Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
Why don't you move to Washington DC? It is a no brainer if you are looking to converse with young professionals. If you are looking for little opportunity that by all means move here It is a service based town.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Why don't you move to Washington DC? It is a no brainer if you are looking to converse with young professionals. If you are looking for little opportunity that by all means move here It is a service based town.

Que sera, sera. I can't speak for the OP, but actually the Greater Phoenix area has quite a lot of opportunity for the field that I work in. Of course there's always people in every community that are the nay-sayers or those with negative attitudes towards a place. Not to mention, I'd probably peg Las Vegas as more of a "service based town" than Phoenix, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area