Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 AM

30 posts, read 47,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsiepie View Post
So its going to be hard to find an apartment without a job, and it's going to be hard to find a job being out of state. Are we all **** out of luck or what? Should us looking to relocate find some sort of real estate person to talk to, someone that can guide us that we can even pay? It's like a total dead end. Even tougher when nobody in your family has moved.
I don't have much advice as my job relocated me here, so I did not have to deal with the issue, and my partner didn't start looking for new employment until we had already arrived. TBH the local job market in his field was is so abysmal compared to where we came from that he almost ended up working remotely for out-of-state companies, so it almost didn't matter where we were living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:15 AM

72 posts, read 133,220 times
Sales may be your best bet if you want to be independent. If you want a quick job, which will make it easier to get an apartment more quickly, you might want to look at call centers. That are many in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area who are always hiring. You may need to try collections or sales (and be good at it) if you want to make the money you are targeting.

I agree with ibarrio. Your best bet for finding a place to live would likely be Craiglist, or renting a room from someone who already has a lease.

Have you thought of applying for student loans and enrolling in SCC (Scottsdale Community College), or another college in the area? That might open some more doors to you also, including quick cash, employment options, networking, apartment options, etc.

Wishing you the best.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:18 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,075 times
Quote:
So its going to be hard to find an apartment without a job
No. It will be hard to find an apartment without being able to prove you have at least a few months rent saved up. That's why it's always suggested that if you move anywhere without having a job lined up at the very least you need a good chunk of money for living expenses. I would never even consider relocating without six months worth of rent, food, misc expenses saved up.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 AM

76 posts, read 112,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
No. It will be hard to find an apartment without being able to prove you have at least a few months rent saved up. That's why it's always suggested that if you move anywhere without having a job lined up at the very least you need a good chunk of money for living expenses. I would never even consider relocating without six months worth of rent, food, misc expenses saved up.
Good to know, which would even be better to find a roommate to save on expense costs. What would be a good estimate? I'm thinking about $15,000 would be around right.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
This seems so frustrating. If Phoenix is such a big melting pot, won't some businesses be open to employing those from out of state? I've heard several are very welcoming to out of staters.

I did post this in another thread, but it's either people moved without jobs and got them, or found jobs and then moved for the job. Its all comes down to that we don't want to live in the same place all of our lives.
It depends on the type of job, in part. Some are open to it, (I don't know which ones are "very welcoming") but if they find people who are already here who fit what they want, they are likely to take the local person. Yes, there are people who found jobs before they moved here, others did not.

That's why we've been saying for a long time that you need a cushion, and/or friends or relatives to stay with, if you move here without a job. You have to make looking for a job a full time job until you find one. Taking a low paying job to help stay afloat while you look for something better is an option, but it takes away from the job hunting (or, in the OP's case, business building) time.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 PM

268 posts, read 430,423 times
Quote:
Good to know, which would even be better to find a roommate to save on expense costs. What would be a good estimate? I'm thinking about $15,000 would be around right.
I really don't think you need $15k to move to a new city. Six months is comfortable, but you can do it with much less. When I was younger, I moved to Portland, OR with like $3k and had a job in two weeks. It wasn't my dream job, but it paid the bills while I was figuring things out. Note, that was while ago, and I wouldn't recommend moving here with that little, but $15k seems excessive.

If your priority is being young and adventurous, you might have to sacrifice a few creature comforts to make it happen.

Just hustle when you get here and find a job. Don't worry about finding a dream job off the bat, just get whatever you can find and then if you don't like it, start looking for a new job.

You're a communications major, right? Why don't you look into some freelance gigs so you can have a little cash flowing in while you job search. I actually just saw a job listing the other day in Phoenix where you were required to telecommute for the first two months and then work on site. I forget what company or I'd find it for you.

LinkedIn seems to be the new, best place to look for jobs. Are you looking there?

Anyway, keep your eyes peeled for opportunities and you'll find them. Think about closed doors, and that's all you'll see.

To the OP, I would definitely recommend a sales job. At a car dealership, it might take you a little while to make some money though. Can you handle that financially? Sales jobs are a dime a dozen here. Just check it out and see what you can find.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,138,339 times
Quote:
This seems so frustrating. If Phoenix is such a big melting pot, won't some businesses be open to employing those from out of state? I've heard several are very welcoming to out of staters.

I did post this in another thread, but it's either people moved without jobs and got them, or found jobs and then moved for the job. Its all comes down to that we don't want to live in the same place all of our lives.
I tend to look at employ-ability much like a credit score. The more good experience you have...the better your score. Factors like little to no experience, relevant education and yes, geography, factor into the score to bring it up or down. If your score is not the top or equal to the best applicant...you are not getting hired. I don't think it is "discrimination" per se (from your other post)...just the employer making the best decision they can for their company. Part of the real world...just like a credit score.

I guess the question of course would be...what kind of job are you applying for?

Old 08-01-2014, 05:54 PM

8 posts, read 13,681 times
Quote:

Yeah relocating is difficult, but anything worthwhile usually is.
For entry level kind of jobs, you are going to have a really tough time getting an employer to look at you if you are not in the area. This is not a Phoenix thing, this is everywhere. Leave your address OFF your resume! Just put your phone # and email address. But from personal experience, I'd recommend just get here first, have interviews already scheduled with employment agencies (at least three), find an apt that will rent to you (you may need to put a bigger deposit or have a family member co-sign for you). Or, as someone else suggested, look for a shared apartment at first (i.e. a room in an apt that someone else already has - or a sublet (Craigslist has a whole section for sublets) - it doesn't have to be long term but it might be a good solution at first to get on your feet). A room at Extended Stay motel is about 350 a week if worst comes to worst.

Someone who used to work for me had a job P/T doing night shelf-stocking for The Container Store.. she worked there in NJ and then when she moved to L.A. she was able to pick up the same job in Cali. It was not her dream job but it enabled her to interview during the day and find a better job with prospects, and it helped pay her bills to get herself established. Do you have experience in hospitality/Food/Beverage or Retail? The fact that you do have a friend already in town is a big bonus - ask her to put the word out to her friends, see if anyone's willing to let you sleep on their couch for $$ for a week or two. or look at Air bnB. Also, winter is the seasonal high season in AZ, so there will probably be more businesses in need of help over the winter period for casual jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area