Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:55 PM

397 posts, read 659,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Google Fiber is hiring in the Phoenix area currently. I doubt they would be hiring here if it wasn't coming relatively soon.
Just 3 people and thats probably just to do assessment work, don't think they have commited yet or they would be hiring a lot more.

Google Fiber is looking to hire three positions in Phoenix: an outside plant engineer, a community impact manager and a city manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Google Fiber is hiring in the Phoenix area currently. I doubt they would be hiring here if it wasn't coming relatively soon.
They posted announcement for THREE positions. They hedged them with the notice that the cities had not been chosen yet and the jobs might never last. In any case it was only Phoenix, Scottsdale and Tempe that were under consideration. They need to build infrastructure first in those areas. Other areas would come later, maybe. Cox plans to do the burbs too, like Chandler. It will be a long time with both vendors, but Cox will beat them into the gigasphere in Phoenix.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM

105 posts, read 225,424 times
I have preferred and I'll have to check this out when I get home....my internet has been very slow recently. I was planning on complaining this week.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Fish View Post
I have preferred and I'll have to check this out when I get home....my internet has been very slow recently. I was planning on complaining this week.
I doubt it will fix that, try resetting your modem by pulling the power cable, if it has a battery back you have to pull that as well. With slow internet the cable modem is usually the culprit, make sure it's not your computer though by plugging it directly into the modem and doing a speed test there. If it's fast it might be an issue with your router, try resetting that as well. Could be you got an older DOCSIS 2.0 modem which would cannot support higher speeds in the faster packages. If you call support they should be able to determine that.

Cox High Speed Internet Package Minimum Required DOCSIS Version
Starter DOCSIS 2.0
Essential

Preferred DOCSIS 3.0 (4 x 4 channel)
Premier
Premier Plus (where available)

Ultimate DOCSIS 3.0 (8 x 4 channel)

Old 08-04-2014, 06:05 PM

Saw on the Cox webpage they are now promoting Gigabit heavily called Gig Life.

A New Era of Internet is Coming | Cox Communications

You can sign up here to be notified when it's in your area...

https://store.cox.com/residential-st...t-gig-life.cox

Old 08-04-2014, 06:49 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
Forget the speed, I'd be happy to just have reliable internet, period. I think CL has moved all the resources from here (ABQ) to Phoenix to get system upgrades in before Google hits town. New wire in my neighborhood has been delayed 3 times now. Coincidence?

I think it's time to move, LOL.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 PM

105 posts, read 225,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
I doubt it will fix that, try resetting your modem by pulling the power cable, if it has a battery back you have to pull that as well. With slow internet the cable modem is usually the culprit, make sure it's not your computer though by plugging it directly into the modem and doing a speed test there. If it's fast it might be an issue with your router, try resetting that as well. Could be you got an older DOCSIS 2.0 modem which would cannot support higher speeds in the faster packages. If you call support they should be able to determine that.

Cox High Speed Internet Package Minimum Required DOCSIS Version
Starter DOCSIS 2.0
Essential

Preferred DOCSIS 3.0 (4 x 4 channel)
Premier
Premier Plus (where available)

Ultimate DOCSIS 3.0 (8 x 4 channel)

I have a DOCSIS 3.0 mod and resetting it did nothing

edit - very slow
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:

I have a DOCSIS 3.0 mod and resetting it did nothing

edit - very slow
You should definitely call them. What speed are you paying for?

EDIT: Sorry, I just read upthread that you pay for Preferred. You definitely owe them a phone call and they owe you an explanation.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:

I have a DOCSIS 3.0 mod and resetting it did not nothing

edit - very slow
Yeah thats pretty sucky for preferred, I'd call them up, chances are they will send someone out to check your power levels and signal to noise ratio across all your channels. Having numbers outside of the normal ranges will impact your internet speed. You can see these yourself by going to http://192.168.100.1 in your browser (may differ based on the modem, this works for Cisco modems). You can see what are considered normal levels here: What kind of signal levels do I want on my cable modem? Cable Modems and Wiring Issues | DSLReports, ISP Information

Here's what mine looks like:

Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Got an email from them saying they've doubled our internet speed to 50Mbps...I was skeptical but looks like they weren't actually lying.

What are you guys getting? You can check at Speedtest.net
Me too. I love cox internet. Glad I told centurylink to take a hike.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area