Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:34 PM

397 posts, read 659,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I was just thinking about how old my router is and sure enough, it's a WRT54GS. Even though the speed test showed me around 50 mbps, I take it I should replace it? Any recommendations as to its replacement?

Thanks!
What's your budget? I've had a lot of different router brands in the past but my favs are Asus & NetGear. This is what I have and its an awesome router, very configurable and awesome wifi power:

Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

It's a 802.11n router which is good enough but if you want to go 802.11ac they a model for that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 12:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,222,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
What's your budget? I've had a lot of different router brands in the past but my favs are Asus & NetGear. This is what I have and its an awesome router, very configurable and awesome wifi power:

Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories

It's a 802.11n router which is good enough but if you want to go 802.11ac they a model for that as well.
I have an ASUS RT-N66U and it is a fantastic router.

The 802.11ac version will be useless and a waste of money to anyone that doesn't have any 802.11ac devices (which most people don't).

Old 08-06-2014, 01:01 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
I was just thinking about how old my router is and sure enough, it's a WRT54GS. Even though the speed test showed me around 50 mbps, I take it I should replace it? Any recommendations as to its replacement?

Thanks!
I've had good experience with Netgear also. The model I have is an older model, a WNDR3700, and has been very reliable for me.....with the right firmware, but that's another story.

You have the "Speed booster" version, the "S" in the GS and should be capable of up to 54Mbps via wireless and 100Mbps via wired. If you're getting 50Mbps down via wireless on Speedtest and that's the speed you're paying for from COX, I wouldn't change it out if you just have a pc or 2 connected for basic internet use without any fancy network setup and the router has been reliable.

You can also check the connection speed between the wireless adapter on your pc/laptop and your router by following these steps(just select the OS you have):

Article

Also, not sure how old your laptop/pc is. It might just have a "g" wireless adapter on it. If you decide to upgrade your router and want "n" or beyond speed, make sure you upgrade your wireless adapter on your pc/laptop accordingly.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Thanks guys. That Asus looks like a winner. Steve, I've actually only done the speed test on my hard-wired desktop. I guess I should run it on a wireless device.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:16 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. That Asus looks like a winner. Steve, I've actually only done the speed test on my hard-wired desktop. I guess I should run it on a wireless device.

ahhh, ok. yeah, would be interesting what you see on the wireless side.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
ahhh, ok. yeah, would be interesting what you see on the wireless side.
18.01 Mbps down on my iPhone 5. I'll have to fire up my laptop to see how it fares.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
I take back everything positive I said about cox except internet speed. My cable and internet were mistakenly shut off yesterday. They said a tech was coming this morning and never showed. I was on like 10 different phone calls with them. They would put me on hold for 45 minutes than hang up. Finally final call I said I want to cancel and have the bill I payed on the forth refunded. Their response was a tech will come today and is in route. That was purely a lie. All I have as of now is sprint 3G. As soon as I compliment them they turn around and screw me. Wtf?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 PM

397 posts, read 659,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I take back everything positive I said about cox except internet speed. My cable and internet were mistakenly shut off yesterday. They said a tech was coming this morning and never showed. I was on like 10 different phone calls with them. They would put me on hold for 45 minutes than hang up. Finally final call I said I want to cancel and have the bill I payed on the forth refunded. Their response was a tech will come today and is in route. That was purely a lie. All I have as of now is sprint 3G. As soon as I compliment them they turn around and screw me. Wtf?
I'm sure they don't read these forums, so there is probably no correlation between your complement and your service shut-off ;-)

Why would they need to send a tech out to restore cable that was shut-off, its not like they send someone out with scissors to snip your cable. Was this a billing issue? A minute or two on a keyboard by one of their reps should be able to restore it. You should call and ask for a supervisor right away or tweet @coxhelp who is pretty responsive.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:32 AM

45 posts, read 37,032 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I agree with the others on here about the Asus routers. If you have the budget for them they are one if the best routers available today.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 AM

174 posts, read 206,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sder View Post
I agree with the others on here about the Asus routers. If you have the budget for them they are one if the best routers available today.
I feel the same. The Asus routers I have worked with have done me right so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area