Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:45 PM

397 posts, read 659,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I used to get newspapers in my driveway all the time. I had to call them and send them a certified letter before it stopped. Another trick I learned, cc: an attorney in your letter. You will be surprised how much more responsive people are when you do that.
Do HOA communities allow driveway delivery, they throw a fit about leaving a garbage can out and parking in the street so I would think they wouldn't like papers strewn all over driveways. I've never seen any driveway ads/papers where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 09:47 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Do HOA communities allow driveway delivery, they throw a fit about leaving a garbage can out and parking in the street so I would think they wouldn't like papers strewn all over driveways. I've never seen any driveway ads/papers where I live.
Probably but rules are one thing, and what is enforced is an entirely different issue

Old 08-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Probably but rules are one thing, and what is enforced is an entirely different issue
Was thinking they could sue anyone that did it, I know it doesn't stop solicitors, still get too many of them, I open the door, say Not Interested before they start their pitch and close it.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:00 AM

169 posts, read 281,262 times
Default Update for anybody interested

OP here. So I emailed the Arizona Republic subscriptions department at AZRepublicCustomerService@gannett.com and they were very polite and agreed to remove my address from the mailing list. They said it will take 2-3 weeks for the change to take effect as the Buyer's Edge is printed a few weeks in advance. So hopefully in 2 weeks I'll never have my mailbox clogged with useless coupon books ever again!

I expect the AZ Republic email inbox to be flooded with unsubscription requests now lol

Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 AM

107 posts, read 201,306 times
Here's a link to an article I bookmarked years ago on azcentral... it lists several ways to get off of the various mailing lists:

AZCentral article

Quote:
Hate junk mail? Tell firms to stop

Jun. 30, 2008 12:00 AM
Better Business Bureau of Central, Northern and Western Arizona

Some people delight in perusing unexpected catalogs, coupons packs and piles of preapproved credit-card offerings that arrive in the mail.
Others loathe such surprises and consider them a potential source of identify theft.
"Each year, Americans discover that false credit accounts have been opened in their name without their consent and a percentage of this can be attributed to theft of incoming mail," said Matthew Fehling, president and chief executive officer of the Better Business Bureau of Central, Northern and Western Arizona.
If you are among those who would rather not receive unwanted mail, the BBB offers tips for putting an end to it.
Preapproved credit-card offers are an easy target for identity thieves.
To opt out of receiving these mailings, call 1-888-5-OPTOUT (567-8688) or visit optoutprescreen .com.
This service is offered by the three major credit-reporting bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
Consumers will be asked for personal information, but this information remains confidential.
Direct Marketing Association is a trade group with 5,200 member companies that use telephone, mail, and the Internet to pitch their products to consumers.
To stop receiving DMA-member mailings, go to dma consumers.org/cgi/offmailing.
Six months may pass before the solicitations stop.
Catalogs

To stop catalogs from reaching your home, contact the company.
To stop mass mailings, e-mail optout@abacus-us.com or write to Abacus Inc., P.O. Box 1478, Broomfield, CO, 80038.
\"Resident\" mailings

To remove your address from "resident" mailings contact Valassis, formerly known as ADVO by calling 1-888-241-6760, or complete the form online at advo.com/consumer support.html.
Coupon packs

If you want to stop receiving coupon packs, visit www.cox target.com/mailsuppression /s/DisplayMailSuppression Form. Other requests can be directed to the sender on the printed envelopes you receive.
Solicitations to children

If a child under age 13 is being mailed ads or credit-card offers, it could be a sign that identity theft has occurred. Immediately contact the three credit-reporting bureaus:

� Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

� Experian: 1-888-397-3742

� TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289

Read more: Hate junk mail? Tell firms to stop
I have no idea if the companies or links are still valid, but I know that I was able to reduce my volume of junk mail back then by following the steps in the article.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Yep, they only have to honor this opt-out every year or so. I just put it directly into the recycling. At least recycling generates cash for the cities, so I guess it isn't too bad? It sure is a hassle though.
Recycling costs cities. They lose money on recycled paper and plastics. It costs more to haul it away than it is worth. The only thing that pays is aluminum cans and many people, like me, recycle our own cans. On the other hand, it does save landfill space at public landfills and the cities pay less in tipping fees at the private landfills many use, so if you take that into account then maybe there is some benefit.

Anyway,with respect to the mailings, in the grand scheme of things and all the annoyances of city living, Buyers' Edge strikes me as a pretty minor one. It is possibly a nuisance, but a hassle? The hassle is having to walk to a community mailbox in 150 degree temps.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:00 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
I used to get newspapers in my driveway all the time. I had to call them and send them a certified letter before it stopped. Another trick I learned, cc: an attorney in your letter. You will be surprised how much more responsive people are when you do that. Also purchase a no solicitation sign from amazon. Some are written well and specifically request that people not leave flyers etc. on the door. It really works.
I got the two local newspapers to stop tossing their papers after I made a couple of calls. Their drivers now are the problem. I occasionally see newspapers when I look at my cameras. Luckily, Surpise offers a free drive by service to check on your property. The retired volunteer police walk the lot and pick up the papers every three days. As an absentee summer owner, I don't appreciate items left on my door. I've added no solicitation sign signs too. It helps but some people don't seem to read the words.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 PM

212 posts, read 229,016 times
I Have a Question about all this junk mail.
I live in an apartment complex, The mailboxes are together on the wall for all apartments.
I Don't recieve Any personal mail, I do everything electronically.
So tell me, what would happen, if I just Re-fused to retrieve my mail.
Would the mailman just keep trying to stuff my mailbox as much as possible.
Would he take out the old junk mail to replace it with new junk mail.
Could you get in trouble, for not checking your mailbox or emptying it?

Old 08-11-2014, 10:38 PM

If your mail is not picked and your mail box fills up they stop mail delivery until someone calls them and restarts it. They'll put a notice in your mailbox stating this, I know because it happened to me as I didn't move into the house until a month afer I rented it.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 AM

169 posts, read 281,262 times
The postal service is an outdated communications system that belongs in the 20th century. I get all my bills and correspondence via email. I predict the death of the postal service in our lifetime. USPS is losing money hand over fist and the only thing keeping it alive at the moment is online shopping delivery via the likes of Amazon and Ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area